Why do Deontay Wilder fans conveniently keep ignoring fights where his power was exposed?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Luis Fernando, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Deontay Wilder has knocked out everyone he's faced as a pro.

So I don't know how at any point his power was "exposed."

Also, the only two examples you cited are the two fights in his career where he broke his hand in the fight.

In the Arreola bout, in particular, Wilder suffered a broken hand AND A Torn bicep, both of which required surgery. AND HE STILL pummeled Arreola and GOT THE TKO.

I couldn't name one single fight where a guy suffered a torn bicep AND a broken hand THAT REQUIRED SURGERY - not one injury but TWO that required surgery to repair - in ANY division who STILL WON by stoppage ... except Wilder.

Most torn bicep injuries end with that fighter not only losing but more often than not quitting himself.

But go on, tell us more about a guy with a rolled up bicep muscle and a broken hand who overcame those injuries in the fight to score a stoppage win ... who was EXPOSED.

Seriously, don't be a clown.

In years past, people would be writing articles about how impressive it was this guy suffered injuries like that and still won by stoppage.

Wilder would be praised for his toughness.

Today, some people don't just ignore it, they see overcoming injuries and still stopping a guy as somehow negative.

Wilder's clearly someone who, after he's retired, will have the same people now bashing him talking about how he came up the hard way, how he was always in great shape, how he didn't cheat or bulk up with PEDS, and how exciting and dangerous he was ... and they'll be the ones complaining that the next generation just doesn't have Wilder's killer instinct.

That's always how it goes.

"You don't know what you've got until it's gone."

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    shavers, Boon and Southpawswitch like this.
  2. Southpawswitch

Southpawswitch Active Member Full Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Stupid thread by a stupid poster. Nothing to see here.

PolicemanPrawn and 305th like this.
  3. WildersGlassJaw

WildersGlassJaw Member Full Member

Jan 16, 2015
    Not only is Wilder's power overrated, he's got a fragile glass mandible to boot. I should know!

lewis gassed likes this.
  4. Brutality

Brutality New Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Wilder punching power is highly overrated.

5. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Brilliant post! Couldn't have said it better!

6. Luis Fernando

Aug 23, 2017

Last time I checked, Wilder didn't KO Johann Duhaupas. If I'm wrong, feel free to show me at least one knockdown in that fight. If you can't, then it proves I am correct. And premature / gift standing stoppages don't count as 'knockouts' when the opponent is literally making Wilder miss his punches but the referee randomly steps in and stops the fight in Wilder's favor. So the Duhaupas fight is an example of when Wilder's power was "exposed".

Outside of Luis Ortiz and (maybe Johann Duhaupas), Wilder has KO'ed opponents pretty much any other top heavyweight, or any heavyweight with above average punching power would KO. Who has Wilder KO'ed, that nobody else has EVER KO'ed (outside of Luis Ortiz)? Exactly!

Or let's put it this way! Which boxers has Wilder KO'ed, that other KNOWN power punchers failed to KO or KO'ed less impressively / brutally, known power punchers such as Joshua, Whyte, Povetkin and etc?

You forgot to also mention that Arreola was ALSO injured when he fought Wilder. Or are we going to ignore this little fact?

Whatever the case may be. You still haven't addressed the points I made about Wilder's performances against Duhaupas and Eric Molina.

Wilder may have eventually stopped a glass jawed Eric Molina (as he's supposed to). But that doesn't change the fact that his power was still exposed, since he took the longest and required the most number of punches to stop Molina, when that same Molina had already previously been KO'ed twice in the first round alone. So Wilder taking that long to stop Molina, in a fight where he couldn't even keep him down for 9 rounds, exposes Wilder's power to not be that high or makes his power unworthy of being rated that high.

Wilder will ALWAYS be known as one of the the biggest frauds objectively. Has the worst resume of any champion in history. Avoided quality opponent after quality opponent. Nobody who cares about honor and legitimacy as a champion, would remember Wilder.

Has had 40 fights, and his best opponents have been Luis Ortiz, Johann Duhaupas and Bermane Stiverne AS THE WBC CHAMPION. Let that sink in for a moment! Why the hell would anybody want to remember Wilder when he has such an abysmal resume? Unless of course, we're talking about Wilder's hardcore fans and fanatics.

7. Luis Fernando

Aug 23, 2017
    Feats > people's statements.

8. Luis Fernando

Aug 23, 2017
    Mariusz Wach and Oliver McCall have more proven chins against modern day super heavyweight punchers. Neither have EVER been dropped before. I don't care about TKO stoppages. I'm referring to actual knockouts that happen due to a lack of chin where the boxer gets dropped to the canvas. Such things never happened to Wach and McCall.

However, despite Wilder's so called 'power' which was supposed to be that high, he couldn't even drop Johann Duhaupas and couldn't keep a glass jawed Eric Molina down for the count in 9 rounds. Ergo exposing Wilder's power of being unworthy to be rated that highly.

9. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Who do you like?

Current day Wilder vs prime Ruiz?

:smoking:

10. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    His lanky frame and fast twitch muscles mean he can generate tremendous whip in his straight shots that can do damage to anyone if they're caught at the end of them. However, he lacks heavy handedness, which means any shots where he can't get full extension or snap rapidly drop off in force. His poor technique in combinations also takes a lot off his power, because he ends up slapping a lot, and fighters can generally ride with that a lot more. If you observe all the times he's hurt top opponents it's almost always come at the end of a long right hand, not a short punch or a combination.

He's definitely got top fight ending power, but fighters can negate it if they're smart.

Loudon likes this.
  11. FartWristedBum

FartWristedBum I walk this Earth like a bum Full Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Wilder does have mad one-shot power, see Ortiz rd 5, an unwobbled Ortiz was totally befuddled by a shot to the forehead. Pretty crazy.
    I think Fury may work out that boxing south-paw, jabbing a lot and circling right (forcing Wilder to throw across his shoulders to reach Fury) will pretty much nullify Wilder's best weapon.
    Will a rusty Fury stay away for 12? No, imo and so Wilder's power and athleticism will win the day.

shavers likes this.
  12. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
  13. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    These damn Earnie Shavers fans never want to discuss Vicente Rondon

14. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Wait a minute, I saw that clip. Even if he was only 140 lbs. & Wilder was doing his best, it was very few punches, nothing like numerous.

I agree his punching power is overrated. But the difference between "a few" & "numerous" is massive.

15. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018