Why do hard fights 'taken something' from fighters

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Devon, Jun 24, 2020.

1. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 banned Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Boxing is a brutal brutal sport

15+ years of getting punched in the head is terrible

George Foreman is doing great, he is one of the lucky ones.

Sad truth about boxing is the real damage is the stuff you don't see.

DJN16, Toney F*** U and Devon like this.
  2. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    That’s true, but then look at someone like Gerald McClellan who took pretty long breaks in between fights and still has irreversible brain damage

3. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2018
    You're right, but I think McClellan was very unlucky and what he had was localised trauma, the punch drunk boxers did not suffer damage to a particular area, they have CTE McClellan had a blood clot or something like that

4. steve21

steve21 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 19, 2015
    The term "adrenal fatigue" has little basis in medical science, but lacking a better phrase, I also wonder how many times you can give a maximum effort systemically; I'm not sure the body can tell the difference using the "fight or flight" reflex between a boxing match and a true life and death situation ... maybe it resembles a form of combat fatigue you see in soldiers who have had to live in a harsh battle environment on the edge for long periods of time. Boxing isn't true war of course, but it is war on a lesser - but often longer in terms of years - scale. I wouldn't be surprised if boxers might be subject to the same kind of cumulative physiological and psychological stresses.

DrederickTatum, Reinhardt and Devon like this.
  5. jaytxxl

jaytxxl Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Bradley after the Provodnikov fight is a perfect recent example.. He slurred heavy for at least a year after and his equilibrium was never the same afterwards..
    Also I was very worried for Chocolatito after absorbed heavy punishment in both Sor Rungvisai fights.. He seem to have recovered well enough so far but I doubt his handlers allow him to take on another fighter with that physical style..

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Reinhardt and Devon like this.
  6. DrederickTatum

DrederickTatum We really outchere. Full Member

Mar 20, 2020
    Because concussions change the way you think, act and feel.

Btw concussions don't "heal", the inflammation just goes away, at best you adapt to your new state of being.

It doesn't matter what you do to prevent it, every time you get punched, clean or not, you run the risk of getting a concussion on the wrong part of the brain, and all of sudden your reflexes arent what they were, it's harder to plan ahead and your balance isn't the same.
    Making sure you don't take any damage to the noggin, especially in the same spot, for a while might help to mitigate some of it, but it won't stop the damage that's been done.

When you get a bad one, you realise it can happen again, and you know that if this one changed you, the next one might change you more, for some people this can be enough to change style or give up.
    You will understand the damage you have done to others too, and that can be a sobering moment.

All of this is only talking about what's relevant to boxing, let alone the everyday problems you will have, and having to deal with the steady decline you can feel happening.

Be careful with your head, you don't have to be a professional boxer for this to happen.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  7. highlander

highlander Active Member Full Member

Sep 26, 2017
    tommy morrison's chin was turned into the strength equivalent of a glass christmas tree ornament after ray mercer cracked him.

ali was never really the same afterthe foreman fight and the thrilla in manila. in both, he took alot of punishment. then of course his brutal crushing at the hands of holmes put the final nail in his coffin.

8. Forza

Forza Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 18, 2012
    fury took something out of wilder that second fight

9. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

See John Mugabi after the Hagler fight

George Crowcroft and pistal47 like this.
  10. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

Totally agree, I've been knocked out and had concussions. It's not like on TV where you get back up and run to the corvette and chase the bad guy. I had headaches for over 2 weeks once after getting knocked out.

pistal47 and DrederickTatum like this.
  11. Grinder

Grinder Dude, don't call me Dude Full Member

Mar 24, 2005
    My theory is that everyone has a limit on the number of punches they can take. Once you reach it your punch resistance is gone. So many supporting examples.

George Crowcroft and DJN16 like this.
  12. TFP

TFP Member Full Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Who'd have thought it, brain damage compromises the hair-trigger reflexes needed to successfully trade large volumes of punches that can move at up to around 10 metres per second.

13. DrederickTatum

DrederickTatum We really outchere. Full Member

Mar 20, 2020
    Yeah I cringe everytime I see someone on TV get hit with a tool, and then go on with their day like it's nothing.
    I'm genuinely sorry to hear that pal, times like that can be scary, but at least you came through the other end with your wits about you, some people ain't so lucky.

I got a few horror stories that I don't really feel like getting into, but if there's something to learn from them, it's that you NEVER fight on concrete, the fall is always more dangerous than the hit you took.

Never fight on concrete!

Reinhardt likes this.
  14. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    the body aint really designed to take constant trauma
    especially the brain

Reinhardt likes this.
  15. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    I boxed in the Cleveland Golden Gloves 3 times. I fought Jose Spearman and Darrel Johnson among others. I sparred with the Torres brothers several times. What did you do?

northpaw likes this.