Why do people act like Mayweather's 50-0 isn't impressive?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Yung Goku, Jun 2, 2022.

1. JOKER

JOKER Froat rike butterfry, sting rike MFER! banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    No one's reading this.

2. Yung Goku

Yung Goku New Member Full Member

Apr 24, 2020
    That’s fine with me. Just pointing out the double standards regarding Mayweather and people acting like his record ain’t **** when someone like Khabib (even a non mma fan knows who he is) he is heralded cause 29-0. That’s just one example too.

3. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I don't believe anyone would say it isn't very impressive, clearly being one of the greats in history, but there's the thing of a lot of weird claims about it and a whole lot of asterisks coming with it.
    He did beat a lot of names during his career, and often impressively. Even if many or most impartial fans thought he had lost a fight, there at least was some plausible debate that he edged it anyway.
    Did set a couple of impressive records and won a lot of belts. With his skills he is among the best and could actually have been among the very best in history.

But on the other hand being the guy that didn't have to fight mandatories (somehow he was "above it" for the last decade of his career), didn't have to adhere to inconvenient opponents, locations, dates, testing, travelling, unfavorable crowds, referees, judges like almost every other boxer does.
    But i guess what irks most non-Floyd fans is the bend out of shape claims, often accompanied by one-liners that hold no water, repeated over and over and over and over, out of context or even not on subject.
    Constantly used to subvert legit criticism, or yell away an inconvenient subject.
    We've seen this with many fans of big name boxers, but in Floyd's case it really takes the cake.

A couple of laugable cases are his so-called beating of Marciano's record, his so-called Olympic Style Drugtesting, his so-called "doing nothing wrong" after getting busted masking and the so-called legit reasons why he didn't have to fight certain opponents.

Many big name boxers in history have been controversial, but especially Floyd managed to rub a lot of people the wrong way with his antics.
    I don't think it should be very hard for even his biggest fans to admit that there are glaring holes and flaws in his career and personality. And if you make threads about it, those will rise to the surface and get mentioned.

4. pincai

pincai The Indonesian Thin Man Full Member

Jun 10, 2012
    It’s actually harder then 50-0 in pros

5. Fourth_Horseman

Fourth_Horseman Member Full Member

May 12, 2022
    It is in the description, amateur.

pincai likes this.
  6. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    No way could he have beaten Spence in 2017.

titanic likes this.
  7. FastLeft

FastLeft Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2022
    98% boxing fan respect strongly the Mayweather record
    2% only deny

8. Maidanas Gun Tattoo

Maidanas Gun Tattoo Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Lots of guys had a 50-0 record. They didn’t retire though. And they certainly didn’t retire just to fight “exhibitions”.

9. Guerra

Guerra Well-Known Member Full Member

May 23, 2020
    Mayweather has a great record but he isnt tbe and you could critisize him for a lot of it.
    Just 50-0 doesnt make hin the best just like sven ottke isnt greater than bhop or Marciano greater than Ali.
    Same way floyd isnt greater than srr, pep or even Pac in my opinion.
    But he has a great record, skills and is arguably the best boxer since the 80's nonetheless.
    So plenty of praise, just not worship.

10. Dannymita

Dannymita Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2019
    It's very impressive....but his last 2 fights coulda been against a higher quality of opposition for me....I'd have liked for him to challenge triple g to be honest.... middleweight woulda probably been a step too far for him but I'd have liked to see him care more about the challenge than the potential loss of his zero.. seriously..who gives a **** if you lose or not

It's a shame he missed out on some fights over the years like not fighting kostya and he fought a few people abit too late... Mosley,De la Hoya n cotto , Pacquiao etc

Shame really cos if he'd fought them all at their peak he might even crack the top 5... definitely top 10

11. ikrasevic

ikrasevic For the honorable cross and the golden freedom Full Member

Nov 3, 2021
    Alexandr Karelin Greco-Roman wrestling 887-2
    All of these results are impressive, but "zero" doesn't have to mean much.

12. Themessiah

Themessiah El Jefe Full Member

Feb 1, 2021
    Its very impressive, although I don't count the fight with an MMA fighter

ikrasevic likes this.
  13. Goran_

Goran_ Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 27, 2018
    Quit the 50-0 BS.. he fougt an MMA fighter, that doesn't count .. aren't you embarrassed that you have to lump McGregor in with them to bolster his numbers :lol:

14. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    It's impressive but only in the right context. Mayweather did his fair share of cherrypicking, but even with that known he still has a stacked resume

15. panchman69

panchman69 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2012
    He never challenged himself, hes been the oberwhelming favorite in all has fights, hes never dared to be great.