Why do people hate casuals?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Davepompeydave, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Tyson Furry

Tyson Furry Member Full Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Seems like you are the voice of all reason. As a hardcore casual, can I ask what I should do to become a proper fan like you? Thanks.

2. Furious

Furious Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I don't think anyone is 'upset', Tony. Personally, I think it'll be a fun fight. If you take it at face value - it should be an entertaining night.

People's point, which I'm sure you're well aware of, is that usually these big Saturday night events are reserved for fighters with genuine quality. Allen is an outlier because he's created a following in spite of his limitations.

Personally, I don't begrudge him a big night. But I can see why people think it's taking the ****.

3. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Ok, but who should be fighting? Is there someone obvious who should be higher up the bill than Allen? Is Allen stopping anyone from fighting? What harm is being done here?

4. ryuken87

ryuken87 Active Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2014
    You danced around the point. I don't deny that Hearn is a great promoter. I don't deny that they could be evenly matched. I assert that this is a meaningless fight and when we only get so many fight nights a year, this is a waste.

5. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    I refer you to the point above. Who should be fighting instead? Who is being denied an opportunity?

6. Furious

Nov 2, 2017
    No idea, I'm not a boxing promoter and it's not my job to sort that out. Personally, I don't really mind the fight, as I said before - it's fun and never pretended to be particularly high quality.

I'm pointing out to you why some may have an issue with it - but you know that already. You just obsessively play devil's advocate with anyone who says something that could be anti-Hearn/Matchroom for some reason.

7. Dannymita

Dannymita Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Cos they are prone to making ridiculous statements sometimes .. Favourites of recent years were

Roy Jones wasn't fit to lace Steve Collins gloves and Collins wudda banged him out early of they fought

And

Imagine Hatton went up a weight division n fought calzaghe.. Great all brit fight

I imagine I've heard worse

8. BigStiffIdiot

BigStiffIdiot Safer than Adam Smith's laptop password. Full Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Because people are absolutely pathetic.

9. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    The reasons I have seen for why people have an issue with it are frankly absolutely pathetic. 'We only get so many shows a year.' I mean, that would work if there were bigger fights which this one was stopping taking place. But there aren't.

The real reason? People hate the idea that a guy like Allen might actually be more popular than better fighters and they have a superiority complex.

10. Furious

Nov 2, 2017
    You think? I'm not sure about that. I don't think people care about a fighter's 'popularity' (which is a subjective concept) that much

11. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    The real reason...because it represents the dramatic decline in standard of a matchroom Saturday night show. Where the best British fighters are instead fighting on undercards in the states. These said fighters are represented by the fella who is contracted to Sky to provide them with top quality boxing bills. It’s got nothing to do with Allen v Browne, which is a pretty even fight albeit dreadful standard.

You know this, but you’re intent on arguing with everyone at the moment for some reason.

Furious, Clarence Gianni and ryuken87 like this.
  12. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    No one likes a person who thinks they know alot, when infact they know very little. those type of casuals are annoying.

Smudge_ and Davepompeydave like this.
  13. ryuken87

Mar 8, 2014
    Are you telling me you would rather see these two puddings than Callum Smith fight in a meaningful first defence?

14. ryuken87

Mar 8, 2014
    Exactly this.

15. Conway

Conway New Member banned Full Member

Apr 15, 2019
    Because they say such dumb things

They know who Yarde is but they don't know Kovalev

Most of them think Don King is still the biggest promoter in boxing :lol: