Why do people rate anthony joshua so high

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by KeedCubano, Jan 21, 2021.

1. RB1702

RB1702 Well-Known Member Full Member

May 7, 2020
    There’s Fury fans who think Fury is directly responsible for the excitement in the heavyweight division.

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Fury, AJ, and even Wilder are responsible for the resurgence in popularity of the heavyweight division after Klitschkos boring yet dominant reign

Fury talks the most so I can see why many would think he's most responsible

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  3. RB1702

May 7, 2020
    I agree all of them have played a part but I think AJ took over and carried the division on his back for at least a couple years. When Fury and Wilder fought that’s when they two started gaining more attraction and AJ wasn’t single handedly carrying the division on his back anymore. Before then the only time fans spoke about the heavyweight division was when AJ was fighting. In the UK that was at least very true.

4. ConfusedGuy

ConfusedGuy Member Full Member

Oct 29, 2020
    This right here is my biggest pet peeve in all of boxing. Pointing to a fight where a fighter didn't perform at their best and using it as a reason for why a different fighter will beat them.

If anyone here thinks that AJ is gonna fight Fury like he fought Ruiz, or that Fury is gonna fight AJ like he fought Wallin, you need to stop discussing boxing as if you know a single ****ing thing about it.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  5. RB1702

May 7, 2020
    Plenty of Fury fans use AJ losing to Ruiz as a reason to why Fury beats him effortlessly.

6. ConfusedGuy

ConfusedGuy Member Full Member

Oct 29, 2020
    I know , and it's just as stupid as you using the Wallin fight

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  7. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Agreed. But if Fury hadn't retired I don't think AJ would have been carrying the division solo on his back. Wilder knocking out cans this late in his career didn't help the division as much as Fury and AJ.

8. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Yep this. Joshua became something the division hadn't seen since Tyson, we suddenly had a cash cow at heavyweight one that was crossing over and attracting casuals back to the heavyweight division. You remove that from the division I don't think Wilder or Fury would have stepped up like they did.

Wilder definitely wouldn't of taken risky fights like Ortiz and Fury as the financial incentive wouldn't of been there to do so he'd have continued fighting C listers.

Fury I'm sure would of come back without Joshua, as he needed the money after 2 years of legal battles surrounding his doping charges. But Wilder wouldn't of been taking a fight against him for a fraction of what they got and even if he did it would lack the significance it had with a prospective huge money fight for the winner vs a cash cow like Joshua. I can't see either of them raising the division out of the tedium it had sunk to prior to Joshua's emergence.

9. Tabby73

Tabby73 New Member Full Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Maybe because he’s not involved in the current wave of duck culture

RB1702 likes this.
  10. keepemup

keepemup Member Full Member

Jul 4, 2007
    I agree, a rising tide lifts all boats.

Small fyi the term is 'would have' not 'would of'.