Why do people say Usyk is too small for Joshua and Fury but still favour guys like Ali and Holmes?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by MorningSage, Dec 23, 2020.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    How do you feel Ruiz would have fared against all of Foreman`s opponents?

2. Bumnard_Hopkins

Bumnard_Hopkins Burger King banned Full Member

Jul 13, 2021
    Boxing fans tend to forget that poor boxers existed in the past as well. It is always Ali and Holmes, not Jimmy Ellis or Doug Jones.

mark ant and Jackman65 like this.
  3. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Those poor boxers were competing against some of the best ever. Today's poor boxers are competing against lacklustre top level comp.

dcr likes this.
  4. Bumnard_Hopkins

Jul 13, 2021
    Those poor boxers fought once or twice with fighters you consider "the best ever". Unlike many I am not ignoring the rest of their record.

mark ant likes this.
  5. The Real Lance

Oct 29, 2012
    Doesn't matter. Overall quality was much higher in that era than what we have today. Today's top ten would be lucky to be top 20 in the 70s

6. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    I suspect this opinion is more because top pro boxers passports not real evaluation.
    Even the same HW that does sucks today and despite obsession with sunrnames, really someone thinks Frazier might easily beat up current top CW or HW boxers?
    Just cos he is really big name? He is smaller than Huck and Okolie etc.

7. The Real Lance

Oct 29, 2012
    GTFO with your anti-american crap Surrix. I'm talking about overall quality, not any one fighter from any particular county.

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  8. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    You might call me anti american because I do not appreaciate boxing champions " gloves doesn't travel " regardless from what country they does come.

If you mean how frequently they does fight, then yeah, in modern time this is not better than even in " bad " Klits era.
    Talking xx months, they doesn't beat enough frequently and yes, anti american.
    Pro american is to fight in hometown, like if you are pro U.K too, damn.
    Put opponents on clauses, to have home town officiating as huge tickets seller etc is greatness in pro boxing.
    Pro boxing is to entertain ppl, so boxers with proper promoters and from proper countries are " better " there.
    Divas like gloves does not travel in hometown fighters who are claiming that they are best in the entertainment world.
    Sorry, they are too old to fight in amateur ranks already, usually.

9. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    Ohh, I suspect that I do understand.
    If now were 70 ies, we already had fights like AJ vs Usyk, Fury vs Wilder III and Hunter vs Hrgovic done, I think.

Today we do not have this because boxers does fight at best!!!! once during 9-12 months at HW top etc alike.
    Expections are Chisora etc.

10. Bumnard_Hopkins

Jul 13, 2021
    You have no objective way of measuring it.

Cruiserweights like Usyk, Gassiev, Briedis would have beaten up many of your "great" 70s heavyweights ranked outside the first 3/4 places.

Even geriatric Luis Ortiz would beat the **** out of Ellis and Jones.

11. The Real Lance

Oct 29, 2012
    No objective way? You can't be serious. It's called using your eyes and understanding what you are seeing based on experience. Not to mention, fighting in a higher quality field WILL have a positive effect on the lesser HW's.

Usyk has a win over mediocre Chisora at HW. Sure as hell not enough to suggest he'd be a top HW in the best era of HW's.
    When Gassiev and Briedis do more than lose to Usyk, let me know,

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  12. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Briedis and Gassiev wouldn't even beat Jerry Quarry. whats next Deontay Wilder beats Muhammad Ali ? The stupidity doesn't end LOL

13. Bumnard_Hopkins

Jul 13, 2021
    So you have no objective way. Unless you are the ghost of Eddie Futch I have no reason to believe in your "experience".
    Usyk has cleared the cruiserweight division. Your 70s heavies were cruisers no matter how much you shake your head.

14. dcr

dcr New Member Full Member

Apr 20, 2013
    So Ali who was only ever retired by his corner against Larry Holmes would be TKO'd by Fury? Yeah right! I wouldn't argue that Fury could potentially outpoint an old Foreman but he'd have his arse handed to him by a young Foreman. You're just spouting forth opinions that have no basis in any credible reality.

15. Bumnard_Hopkins

Jul 13, 2021
    Young Foreman lost to Jimmy Young.
    Fury is in a different weightclass than Ali's. Ali's inside game was limited, he boxed from the outside. Fury has all the advantages.