Why do we have weight classes?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Wass1985, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    So basically we've come to the conclusion that we agree on the matter after a bit of trolling by the pair of us.

What I do find strange though is you could see Louis having success and not Dempsey? I believe Demspey would be more suited to today's era because of his style, much quicker of foot than Louis and faster to the attack.

2. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Pretty much yeah haha.

The thing is with Louis, he only ever looked plodding against LHW sized opponents or after his best days were behind him. I mean Billy Conn would make any HW today look slow of foot, the difference is because of the way boxing is now we assume Joshua or Wilder would get Conn out of there within the first couple of rounds.

Dempsey I think has a great style to succeed succeed today but once you're below that 200 mark, imo, you have to consider size as well. Is Dempsey big enough to compete at HW, I'm not just talking a one off fight. I mean a full blown career of always being the smaller man, of taking punches off guys who are consistently 50 pounds heavier than you. So I think he'd have to add atleast a stone and then that makes us wonder how much explosiveness he'd still have, probably most of it, but it's still something I have to consider.

For example, I think Hopkins has a great style to beat AJ. But given the size gap I have to assume at some point AJ lands that big shot and knocks him out.

3. reckless

reckless Active Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2018
    I think there should be no weight class. Just let the best fighters compete against each other.

Is there an NBA for people under 6 feet tall?

Is there an NFL for people who weigh less than 160lbs?

Unforgiven likes this.
  4. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    What were Wlad's best victories? Byrd, Haye, Chaegev, Povetkin?

5. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I think a big reason we don't see 200Ib heavyweights is because they tend to come in carrying a lot of extra flesh. Byrd looked pretty normal for a heavyweight challenger, yet he was a natural Middleweight or Super Middleweight.

6. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I'm lost here?

7. reckless

reckless Active Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2018
    Exactly. Back in the 90s when I grew up no one gave a damn about these midget fighters, they were seen as second rate compared to the main attraction - the heavyweights. Mayweather would have been a nobody in the 90s. It's only because the American heavyweight scene died in the 2000s that he became famous.

Pound for pound a dung beetle is the strongest creature in the world, but I'd rather see two tigers or bulls fight.

Unforgiven likes this.