Why do you say Trevor Berbick was a "waste of talent"

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Its a good thing you fellas stopped it in its tracks before it grew to the levels of the bowe who beat holy in 92 beats,any hw in history

2. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Berbick crushed Tate, beast up Greg Page, went a tough 15 w a prime Holmes, beat Bey when Bey was still very tough, beat a tough Mitch Green and beat the undefeated Pinklon Thomas .. what exactly do you expect from him ? He was big, tough, mean, well conditioned, a mauling, very strong and awkward fighter ...

3. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    He definitely achieved a great deal.

- partook in the 1976 olympics
    - challenged an all time great for the crown in a bout that went 15 rounds.
    -.won the WBC title from Pinklon Thomas who some felt was the best heavyweight in 1985-86.
    - was in the rankings for a number of years and beat a lot of good fighters.
    - was Canada’s champion for a while.

these were all good achievements. But I think if he had stayed focused he might have won some more of his fights and perhaps even been a repeat belt holder. He showed up to the ST Gordon bout in a daze like he didn’t even know what he was doing. He was KO’d in one round by Bernardo Mercado at a time when his contemporary prospects were beating him handily . Lost a close hard fought decision to Snipes in a match where he might have turned the tides with different angles. Overall his career was solid. But it could have gone a step further.. that and he hung around too long after his prime.

4. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    I've never heard anyone say Trevor Berbick was a wasted talent. He did fine. Overachieved, in fact.

His best fight and most convincing win of note was probably the win over John Tate. Against most names of that era, he'd lose a close sloppy fight half the time or win a close one sloppily the other half. But that night, he won outright.

If the Berbick who fought Ali showed up, Tate probably would've won easily. The Ali fight was probably one of Berbick's worst performances. Ali had ZILCH. Nothing. Couldn't even get licensed in most of the world. Thomas Hearns was beating up Ali in a brief sparring session days before. But Berbick was only slightly better.

Can you imagine if Gerry Cooney, coming off the one-round wins over Lyle and Norton, had fought Ali in late 1981 in the Bahamas? That would've been a massacre.

The fact that Berbick achieved what he did, far more than Cooney even, is impressive.

5. ideafix12

ideafix12 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2010
    This

6. Rico Spadafora

Rico Spadafora Master of Chins Full Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Berbick’s win over Page on the Holmes vs Cooney undercard was a very good win. Had Page won he would have fought Holmes next but since Larry had already beat Berbick there was no need for a rematch. Berbick’s win over Page robbed us of a prime Holmes - Page matchup. In reality Cooney should have fought Berbick right after Holmes instead of sitting on a bar stool for 2 years sulking.

7. lloydturnip

lloydturnip Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Did very well with what he had .Big strong bloke tough..Not a big puncher fit and.completely barmy .Not playing with a full deck obviously helped his career. Only stopped twice which is surprising.. unfortunately his post boxing life didn't go well and ended with a machete in the back of his head.RIP

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  8. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Well, I was pretty certain I read it on here that he was wasted talent, but maybe it was said in jest. I always thought he was a solid contender who would have been a solid contender in any era.

ideafix12 likes this.
  9. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    This thread is still top 10?

10. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    Yes. Yes it is.

11. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I don't think he was a waste of talent. Quite the opposite. I think he went probably further than what he should have. He got fights with Ali and Tyson. How many guys fought those two? Holmes?

12. VVMM

VVMM Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Only Berbick and Holmes fought Ali and Tyson.They beat Ali but lost to Tyson by brutal kos.These are the facts but important to mention
    Ali was shot to hell

13. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    So are you trying to tell me that Ali wasn't prime???

14. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Berbick was probably the sharpest I've seen him that night.

The fight was not for a match up against Holmes however, that was an eliminator against Snipes a bit later. It was a fight between two contenders with the goal on Pages side to further his development before an imminent title shot. It backfired and he was set back a bit.

15. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Berbick was tougher than Gerry and far , far more active .. that said, head to head, prime for prime Trevor was one of the best 80's heavyweights that I feel Cooney would have beaten ..