Why does AJ keep bulking up?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by PistonHondai, Jun 23, 2019.

1. PistonHondai

PistonHondai Member Full Member

Jun 3, 2019
    What the hell is AJ’s training team thinking letting him bulk up like that like he’s training for Mr Olympia instead of the world heavyweight championship?? Are they idiots? Should AJ get an entire new training team?

Grapefruit, rski, Hanz Cholo and 3 others like this.
  2. Blandman

Blandman Active Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2019
    At this stage of his career, I imagine his training team is only able to make recommendations and if really imperative, strong suggestions.

rski, Jackomano, gdm and 1 other person like this.
  3. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    It's a dumb thing to do he needs stamina not more muscles. Wilder is doing the same thing apparently :rolleyes:

Ph33rknot, rski and lefthandlead like this.
  4. Felix Sanchez

Felix Sanchez Active Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Vanity.

The social media age.

5. chico g

chico g What are you staring at Mr Trump?! hahaha! Full Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Joshua's gonna need all the muscles he can get, to take on that huge behemoth blob Ruiz. He was still outweighed by 20lbs of blubber, and was blown away by the short fatso!

BCS8 likes this.
  6. Ukansodoff

Ukansodoff Deontay plz stop ducking Joshua. Thank you. Full Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I dont know why he keeps bulking up. Ive known my fair share of body builders over the years and it can be an addiction to them. They are never big enough, never cut enough.|I wonder if he is insistent on being a big boy and his team are just having to work around it. He has professionals in his team and yet we can all see the pure bulk of him is not doing him any favours what so ever.

Personally i thought the way he gassed so bad against Wlad was going to be the big wake up call for Joshua. He is without doubt too big and too bulky. His weight started to drop after that but has since sat between 245 and 250. I dont think he should be above a maximum of 240 myself.

But at the same time you could say **** about the weight and shape of Andy Ruiz and look what he just did. So yes AJ is too big, too bulky, too muscly but he has other flaws too and those flaws will be there regardless if he dropped 10 pounds or not.

7. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Just imagine how fragile he'd be without that added mass......

Grapefruit and chico g like this.
  8. Limerickbox

Limerickbox Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    What do you mean “keep bulking up”
    He’s been in the same weight range for the past 4 years.
    He’s weighed heavier than he did in the Ruiz fight a number of times.

9. minemax

minemax Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 10, 2017
    I think he needs it to boost his confidence.

BCS8, Grapefruit, Lazar and 1 other person like this.
  10. oldcanvasback

oldcanvasback Active Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2018
    From memory he was lighter for the Parker fight and looked a lot less robotic b/c of that. He moved well. I think he was 235 - 238lbs.

rski and lefthandlead like this.
  11. MorvidusStyle

MorvidusStyle Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2017
    It's harder to flex in selfies if your muscles aren't so big. The logical conclusion is you have to make your muscles big. It's all very well keyboard warriors telling him to lose the bulk, but until they've tried to flex for selfies and advertisements, especially in soft lighting, they don't understand ****. Big muscles flex really well. You pump the iron and drink the magic shake and the muscles get big. Then you flex them.

12. Benladdie3000

Benladdie3000 Member banned Full Member

Aug 1, 2018
    Insecurity and inferiority complex issues

rski and Jackomano like this.
  13. gerryb

gerryb Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    The search for more power. Added muscle mass gives you a stronger frame and the ability to absorb and dish out blunt force trauma.

14. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    the bulk really hurts him as a fighter, it doesn't make much sense. It suggests he is more concerned about his image than about being a fighter, in which case he only has himself to blame when faster slicker boxers take him out with ease. his conditioning will only get worse when he ages as well.

gdm likes this.
  15. Jake LaMotta

Jake LaMotta Lights Out Full Member

Jan 3, 2015