Why does Mark Breland get a free pass for failing to improve Wilder all these years?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by UFC2020, May 11, 2021.

1. UFC2020

UFC2020 Active Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2019
    Just watching the recent clips of Wilder working the mitts with Malik Scott and i see a fighter determined, hungry to actually get back to the basics and add more to his arsenal. No disrespect to Malik Scott but i don't believe he is a celebrated or main stream trainer as yet but yet Wilder seems to have developed a certain chemistry, trust and relationship with him already and it is showing in the work the two of them have been doing, mind you that is just 2 video clips we have seen so far, they could actually be working on other things as well which they have not shown us yet.

I just found it funny how people just blindly supported Mark Breland when he claimed that Wilder had become untrainable and that he didn't have his number and people in his entourage made sure that he had no say in his affairs. My question is why did Mark Breland stay with Wilder all these years then? Why did he not quit or resign from the beginning? Or was he happy to get a free paycheque when things were rosy?

When i saw Wilder lose to Fury, my biggest frustration was with Wilder's corner and team that they failed to improve or develop him all these years and how naively, arrogantly they went into the rematch with the same game plan of just blindly relying on that one right hand.

I had been saying from the very beginning that more than Wilder, perhaps the problem was with Mark Breland where he was just not the right trainer for Wilder and Wilder needed someone he was more comfortable with. What does Malik Scott have that Mark Breland doesn't where in such a short period of time he has managed to get an untrainable, unteachable Wilder to work hard and actually respect the sport and work on technical things in the gym out of the blue?

Anyway's Mark Breland should have been fired a long time ago.

mpg and HellSpawn86 like this.
  2. TheWorstEver(TWE)

TheWorstEver(TWE) Active Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2018
  3. HellSpawn86

HellSpawn86 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 6, 2007
    He deserves blame, but Wilder's ego and the way he fired Breland for trying to protect him left everyone with a bad taste. Regardless of how much Breland f'ed up, Wilder came out looking worse.

Unforgiven and BCS8 like this.
  4. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    To point out the obvious here

Hitting the mitts and fighting in the ring are two completely different things.

We have no evidence that Wilder has remotely improved at all since sacking off Breland.

I personally don’t think a fighter of Wilders age is going to improve all that much. Even though he has a lot to improve on, I think that when he gets in a difficult spot in a fight that he reverts to type.

His type is to circle an opponent on the outside waiting for them to make a mistake or leave an opening. Often prepared to drop round after round doing so. Then jump in and land a big overhand right and then looping hooks to finish the job.

If he could use a jab more effectively whilst stalking an opponent then that would be the most obvious improvement. But he is always going to be a “raid fighter”

sasto, lordlosh, kostya by ko and 2 others like this.
  5. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    He does come across as the arrogant idiot who is so dumb that he thinks he knows it all, but in actual fact knows very little.

This is all caused by his right hand getting him out of jail so many times in fights he was losing.

Eubank Jr looks to be learning from his new trainer and was a similar type of arrogant so perhaps there is hope for Wilder. But I doubt it. Wilder isn’t as bright as Eubank Jr

lordlosh and BCS8 like this.
  6. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Momento mori Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Everyone always heard Wilder say no

BCS8 likes this.
  7. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Wilder's arrogance at training how he wants to is very well known by now. Wilder literally fired the guy that probably saved his life (if the ref wasn't there). Fury was beating him into a pulp, and Wilder thought his magic right hand would still save him. That shows you the levels of his delusion.

lordlosh, timeout and HellSpawn86 like this.
  8. Reg

Reg Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    If Wilder actually drills the fundamentals and shows improvement on that level then it probably has more to do with the fact that he was dominated by Fury than anything Scott is doing.

lordlosh likes this.
  9. timeout

timeout Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Typical delusional wilder fan.

The problem is ALWAYS somewhere else.

It's the trainer. It's mark breland. ( Who btw saved his bloody life in the ring) It's his costume. It's the gloves. Same old story.
    Maybe the problem is much close to home.

Wilder has no boxing technique, big ego, and a plant pot China chin.

And guess what, one video of boxing on the pads ain't going to convince me otherwise. Pads don't hit back.

BCS8 and lordlosh like this.
  10. The G-Man

The G-Man Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Malik Scott is just his friend.

Wanna see a fighter train himself?Go watch one who has his mate as a trainer.

lordlosh likes this.
  11. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Wilder is a one trick pony. Teaching him was probably not possible.

12. Benladdie3000

Benladdie3000 Member banned Full Member

Aug 1, 2018
    Breland saved the mans career and maybe worse.

lordlosh and timeout like this.
  13. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Dubblechin, that you?