Why does Tyson Fury's drugs ban get brushed over?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Adam Rogerson, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Adam Rogerson

Adam Rogerson New Member Full Member

May 13, 2017
    I'll start by saying I am a fan of the skills, heart and in some ways the personality of Tyson Fury, I like him as a boxer. But he seems to have somehow managed to not carry the * against his name that other fighters seem to such as Roy Jones, Canelo or even Dillian Whyte.

I read the below snippet in a BBC (for People outside the UK the BBC is the main national media paid for by UK taxes) and was astonished at how they gloss over drugs ban he admitted to and was banned for by the British Board of Boxing Control.

"Former world heavyweight champion Fury faced undefeated defending WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder in December, with the Los Angeles bout ending in a controversial draw.

It came just six months after Fury made his boxing comeback after a 32-month absence - a period in which he battled depression, lost his boxing licence and faced a period of ineligibility while a UK Anti-Doping investigation played out."

Are people letting him use the mental health issues excuse the use of Nandrolone? Could his depression have started when he nlknew he was looking at a lengthy ban for steroid use after all the high and mighty attitude he had towards PEDs before hand. Would love to hear some opinions on the matter.

ryuken87, Robney and Smokin Bert like this.
  2. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    I think you are spot on, Adam.

3. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    It's boxing when has it not been brushed over to some extent for everyone that gets caught.

RJJ done for Hall fight, Evander and the Balco investigation, Mosley too. Mayweather's IV, Canelo and the tainted beef, Povetkin not once but twice. Fact is boxing just doesn't take it seriously enough, getting caught doesn't really effect anyone that much. They all continued their careers without much difficulty, in fact if anything Fury had it worse than them as he was suspended for so long.

Fury at least had his career sidelined by it for 2 years. Canelo just got 6 months, Mayweather nothing happened same with RJJ and Evander. Povetkin just had to pay a fine. Honestly Fury has paid more for doping than most people that have doped in boxing.

Plus any long term benefits from doping he could of gained he flushed down the toilet by ballooning up to nearly 400lbs, binge drinking and snorting a ton of coke.

tee_birch and Kingmaffe like this.
  4. Kingmaffe

Kingmaffe Active Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2017
    So true, especially with the part about boxing not taking PED's seriously enough. If there ever was a sport, where it should be taken VERY seriously, it's boxing and other combat sports. When the primary goal is to inflict damage, having an advantage from PED's is not only unfair, it's very dangerous for any opponent. In other sports like athletics or cycling you "only" get the advantage of performing unfairly, and that's it. The only one in danger of any hazardous outcome is yourself.

5. nickpoppunk

nickpoppunk Unbelievable Bentekkers Full Member

Feb 14, 2012
  6. Badboy87

Badboy87 Member Full Member

Jan 29, 2019
    He’s served his ban get off his case you muppit, how’s about they test matchroom chumps baby & aj there be more drugs in there systems than in whole Russian Olympic team

hajjarak121 likes this.
  7. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Didn't he beat the BBBofC?

8. Lazar

Lazar Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 3, 2016
    This type of thread has been made before.

Fury nut huggers usually stay quiet when this comes up.

9. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    You'll see this with many fans of fighters that got done for doping unfortunately, I think most boxing fans have just kind of accepted our sport is so corrupt and inept when it comes to doping that there's not much we can do about it unless we boycott fighters that get caught.

I was rooting for Wilder to beat Fury because Fury had been done for doping as I'm not really a fan of either so was pretty neutral on the fight. But now Fury's been robbed against Wilder than kind of makes me want them both to lose. You shouldn't be rewarded for doping or having an unfair advantage with the judges but chances are they both will be as this rematch will generate more money than the first.

Robney likes this.
  10. Ukansodoff

Ukansodoff Deontay plz stop ducking Joshua. Thank you. Full Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Its not the 1st time its happened but then im never bothered. If a fighter gets busted, gets banned, what ever hes a very naughty boy and it will stick him through his career, as we can see with this thread about Tyson Fury. But once a fighter has been punished or what ever and regains his licence he is free to fight, hes back to being a legal fighter so it doesnt really make much difference if the drugs thing is mentioned over and over in the build up to a fight.

However, What alot of people dont seem to know is that in the 1st Fury Wilder fight for the WBC world title Fury did not sign up to the WBC clean fighter program which is a serious MUST with the WBC. They gave him a pass for it. Dont get me wrong i doubt Fury was on drugs and for all i know he may of been tested but he did not sign up to that program and the WBC refuses to acknowledge any fighter that does not sign up to it. Apart from this 1 time. The WBC bend and break their own rules to assist certain fighters and promoters or just if it suits them so it seems but then stick to those same rules when it doesnt. But then the WBC have ordered a rematch of a voluntary defence whilst ignoring their mandatory fighter for nearly a year and a half.

I sitll think they only did that to take the pressure off Finkel and WIilder who were getting offers from Anthony Joshua when they were free to fight Anthony Joshua. So Finkel just didnt respond to a single email or phone call until the WBC came in and ordered the rematch and then there is no point looking at Joshua offers as an order is an order. Damn it eh.

11. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    hes a cheat, but he moved on after ban.

this is why hes not liked.

12. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Nope, he got a 2 year backdated ban without the Hammer and Klitschko fight overturned, as some kind 2 way beneficial deal.

13. MorvidusStyle

MorvidusStyle Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2017
    The reason is that it was a highly suspicious ban unlike any others mentioned, so nobody really knows what happened. There was a political war against Fury in this period and the behaviour of the testing agency was very, very strange. If Fury truly tested positive after the Hammer fight, why was he allowed to fight Klitschko half a year later, then prepare for a rematch almost a year after? Fury's story of the agency warning them that the nand levels were getting high but within limits and to watch the diet etc. seems to make more sense than truly busting him then letting him fight for two fights afterwards, then only going after him when he was enemy of the establishment and scaring off drug testers just before the second fight was cancelled (and he was doing coke). The whole thing was extremely weird.

14. MorvidusStyle

MorvidusStyle Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2017
    The Klitschko fight was never going ot be overturned because he passed all tests. In the document they claim it is the Hammer fight but I don't think that's been changed.

15. Tyistall

Tyistall Member banned Full Member

Sep 26, 2018
    I will tell you exactly why they don't mention it. Fury has done an excellent job of making a lot of noise about everything else and making people pay attention to that, instead of it being about the steroid use. It's the same thing women do when they are arguing, they change the subject and make it about something else. Fury will talk about depression, drugs, alcohol and everything else, but he never, ever talks about the fact that he got caught juicing hahahah. And most people fall for it but I saw it right away. And he definitely was on something the first Klitscko fight, no question.