Why Does Tyson Fury's Drugs Ban Get Overlooked?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Adam Rogerson, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Greatest Story

Greatest Story ''Everybody Know I Beat him!'' banned Full Member

Feb 14, 2019
    Wrong .. because Povetkin and Alvarez get the most stick for failing drugs tests.

You can't go in any Povetkin thread without someone childishly saying Pedvetkin or whatever, when he just had 0.000001 traces of a recently legal drug.

Whereas I rarely ever see it mentioned in Jones Jr threads.

Mr Icaman and CutThroatFade like this.
  2. lefthook82

lefthook82 Boxing Addict Full Member

May 1, 2009
    I think a lot of it is because he doesn't look like he takes PEDs

Put him and AJ together and ask an unknown who the convicted PED cheat was and I'm pretty sure AJ would get at least 80% of the vote

3. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Because how boxing deals and views drug cases is ridiculous. Boxing see catching people as a more inconvenience than anything. Same with most sports if im honest, drugs are rife in sport.

4. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Load of rubbish that imo. Roy jones is a great example imo. People just brush that under the carpet when they discuss him.

5. Potwash

Potwash The Real Untouchables Full Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Im not talking about threads bro we talking real life.

6. carlingeight

carlingeight Active Member Full Member

May 15, 2016
    The reason the failed drugs test is overlooked is because of the mental health stuff, that's for sure. I wouldn't say it's necessarily an excuse though. It's more because mental health is such a big topic at the moment. The BBC barely goes a day without an article about depression or anxiety.

Only hardcore boxing fans care about Fury and his 'wild boar' steroids. A much bigger audience want to hear and comment about his depression.

ashishwarrior and Adam Rogerson like this.
  7. Momus

Momus Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    The most likely explanation, and one that doesn't really need further digging. Journalists/editors would prefer to avoid ambiguous drug matters where you have to frame things correctly to avoid getting sued, and when it isn't actually the point of the article. You've got a deadline to meet for a throwaway piece about the state of the heavyweight division - do you really want to get bogged down in a legal quagmire going into the specifics of the case, or give a subjective view on his likely guilt?

Boxing is bad for brushing things under the carpet, but this is common practice across all sports. Recent articles about Chris Froome on the BBC completely omit any reference to his AAF last year. Once the case is closed, you're on a sticky wicket if you keep on making reference to it when it's of no direct relevance to the article in question.

Twentyman and Holler like this.
  8. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    This is true. There's also an element of not wanting to appear to question the reality of his mental condition in play. It's almost like the explanation for Fury taking drugs isn't because he's an athlete looking to cheat, but because he's not well. That may be the case, but lambasting a man with severe depression is obviously a more nuanced issue than a plain drug cheat.

9. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    It's not been overlooked. His name was dragged through the mud and he was unable to box for over two years. It also no doubt contributed to his mental breakdown.

It was no more overlooked than other top fighters like Whyte, Ortiz, RJJ, Holyfield the list is endless really.

People seem to forget Fury got hung out to dry before he turned things around and became the people's champ.

10. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Because he's served his ban and is now back (presumably) clean and just outboxed the 2nd best HW. Same goes for Dillian Whyte, his PED use is rarely mentioned because he served his ban and has constantly improved while being presumably clean.

11. delboy82

delboy82 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2014
    Yup black guys like canelo never get any stick for failing tests. No fair

12. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    By fans? It doesn't.
    By journalists? It does a bit, in fairness. But journalists ignore a lot of useful information. Too concerned with their press passes

pow likes this.
  13. carlingeight

carlingeight Active Member Full Member

May 15, 2016
    Yeah, I almost mentioned something similar. I don't care too much about the nandrolone failed test being glossed over a bit - it was 4 years ago now.

But I do think Tyson should 'own' all the cocaine, food and alcohol binges a bit more. They seem to be talked away a bit too easily.

14. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    And this is your idea of a valid answer.

Bringing race in to a question regarding somebody allegedly failing a drugs test.

Go purchase your next PPV you uneducated sheep.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  15. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Yeah, it's quite telling that a lot of what he's said doesn't seem to rely apply to mental illness. Like his depression was caused by not getting the credit he deserved, or that his character somehow confirmed he was mentally ill.

There's an element of 'is it just an excuse to excuse all the drugs, booze and indeed the PED's,' but it's such a tricky subject there's little surprise that the papers aren't going to dig deep.

The only thing that slightly surprises me is that the boar meat excuse isn't focussed on a bit more. It's an absolutely pathetic explanation.