Why Floyd Mayweather Jr. is The GOAT

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Renato, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Renato

Renato New Member banned Full Member

Mar 28, 2019
    This is a thread to list the reasons why Floyd Mayweather Jr. is The Greatest Boxer of All Time. I'll start with a few.

• Undefeated in whole career for 21 years (1996 - 2017)
    • 50 - 0 record which bettered Marciano's
    • 26 - 0 in World Title Fights
    • World Champion in 5 different Weight Classes

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    All of them are quite flimsy Achievements (in comparison to other ATG)

Marciano wasn't very good nor did he fight good people.

Undefeated isn't everything, and if it was Mayweather should've lost at least twice.

Others have much better championship records, just not with the 0 which I repeat my statement above.

There are more weights now, meaning more champions, more belts. Don't tell hed be a 5 weight champion in the days of 8 weights

JC40, Brixton Bomber, Lazar and 5 others like this.
  3. KiwiMan

KiwiMan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 28, 2016
    I guess from your joining date that you are fairly new to boxing, and as such would not realize that being undefeated is not that important. Sugar Ray Robinson achieved a lot more than Floyd Mayweather Jr did, good as Floyd was ....

4. Oakland Billy Smith

Oakland Billy Smith Active Member banned Full Member

Oct 19, 2018
    I won't proclaim him.GOAT necessarily, but at least the greatest fighter in my lifetime:

-Titles in multiple weight classes
    -victories over 20+ world champions
    -gave up significant age advantage to top fighters during later stage of career
    - perfected his own defensive style which other fighters have tried to emulate
    - did it all with boxing media trying to sabotage his legacy for most of his career

5. BoxingPurest

BoxingPurest Active Member Full Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Sure very good fighter with 2 debatable loses on his record. Blessed to be in this era of boxing for sure,, But taking nothing away from the man he was good at what he did! Very hard to catch with a clean shot, defensively he is one of the best! But, during other eras he would have got walked through! Also Mayweathers 50-0 is a bit misleading, I mean if greatest is defined by how long you can go with the 0 then it clearly goes to Chavez Sr 89 -0 at one point in his career! By this logic Mayweather isn't even in the same league.... As for the comparison to Marciano come on that was 49-0 as a heavyweight totally different feat.. Shouldn't be compared at all its all for the hype train.

6. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I did this when I joined, but in the Classic section, feel free to weigh in
    https://www.boxingforum24.com/threads/mayweather-the-goat.625393/

Holler likes this.
  7. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    The sad part is Floyd had the talent to really be one of TBE BUT instead he let the NSAC & Bob Bennett & Vegas boxing make him the cash cow & let them make sure he kept his 0 by both legal & illegal means. In other words you could call him the MANUFACTURED TBE
    He really should have had 4 losses & one N/C on his record. Losses to Castillo,& Maidana , DQ losses to Ortiz & Judah & a N/C after the IV scandal @ May /Pac

DKD and titanic like this.
  8. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Manny Pacquiao — The Thurmanator banned Full Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Emmanuel Dapidran Pacquiao
    60-7-2 39 KO

Records
    • Champion in 8 Weight Classes
    • Lineal Champion in 5 Weight Classes
    • 1 of only 3 boxers to win titles in 4 of the Original Weight Classes
    • Most Times Welterweight Champion (5)
    • Beat Most Champions in Boxing (23)
    • Fought Most Champions (29)
    Titles
    • WBC — 112, 130, 135, 154 (150)
    • WBC Int'l — 122, 130
    • OPBF — 112
    • WBO — 147, 147, 147
    • WBA — 147
    • IBF — 122
    • IBO — 140
    • IBO Int'l — 147, 147
    • The Ring — 126, 130, 140
    Awards

KO of the Year — 2009
    Fighter of the Year — 2006, 2008, 2009
    Fighter of the Decade — 2001 to 2010

9. RingKing75

RingKing75 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Wow! Never heard any of these points brought up before. You are brilliant.

10. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
  11. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    How many of these guys get born in one year?
    I hope it won't be too many, because otherwise they might overtake sensible boxfans somewhere in the future and make it the consensus.

George Crowcroft and OvidsExile like this.
  12. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    To the OP. He lost several fights he was given gifts for. There are perhaps a dozen fighters who went fifty and oh. Twenty-six victories in title fights is good, but he didn't unify and cherry picked his opponents. A bunch of fighters were five weight champions. Pacquioa was like an eight weight champ.

shza and pincai like this.
  13. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    He's the GOAT of self promotion.

14. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Best of the era but not the GOAT that's SRR.

KiwiMan and RingKing75 like this.
  15. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    You're laying it on a little think but you have a point. With Judah Roger did enter the ring before the bell, I'm guessing that's what you believe should have forced a DQ. However that was a nasty nut shot by Judah followed up with a blatant rabbit punch. Judah could and probably should have been DQ'd from that even before Roger entered. But considering all that happened at the end of that round, that fight should probably have been declared a no contest after that sequence, after Roger stormed into the ring before the bell. Other refs may have stopped it right then and there, but the fans would of complained, they would have wanted it to continue.

But on to your larger point, Floyd did seem to get plenty of preferential treatment when it came to fighting in Vegas. I can't say I know enough to flat out state that the Pac win should have been a no contest, but Floyd did seem real dehydrated in the pre-fight interview with Jim Gray. But in addition to all that, it was immoral and illegitimate in how he was able to rig the Canelo fight so he would win, first by cowardly demanding the 152 catchweight which drained Canelo and made it easier for Floyd to emerge victorious, and by somehow causing De La Hoya to end up in rehab during fight week instead of in Canelo's corner. That whole event seemed very scripted for Floyd to win, I can't say that he really broke any rules persay, but he shouldn't get full credit for that win because he obviously wanted no part of fighting a full strength Canelo in a fair fight.

And really when you take all that happened there into account, Canelo should really still be considered an undefeated fighter because from Floyd's own mouth he said that he still considered Cotto undefeated with Cotto's only losses at that time being to MargaCHEATO and to Pac who drained him to a catchweight. Now, sure Floyd said that to pump up his fight with Cotto but if we're to take him at his word then the same logic should apply to himself as well in trying hard to drain Canelo. And, lets be honest Floyd barely eeked that one out vs Canelo, even with all the "help" he needed to weaken Canelo and his team which he seemed to need to win. So to show that you're unbiased you really need to add the Canelo bout to the list of no contests that should be on Floyd's record since that win was far from convincing or legit.

Jobo1878 and Brixton Bomber like this.