Why Hagler Could Take a Punch

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SorceryatCaesar, Nov 22, 2008.

1. MAG1965

MAG1965 VIP Member banned

Dec 1, 2008
    I do see your point. I just don't know if he was really inactive after 1983. Most top guys fight two times a year.

2. LittleRed

LittleRed Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Didn't I read that he had started using cocaine? I might be mistaken...

3. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    cut caused by a mouthpiece? I doubt it. And other people never mentioned this. It was caused by a clash of heads but I never heard of a mouthpiece causing a cut. Maybe possible but doubtful!!! I will check it out sometime.

4. MAG1965

Dec 1, 2008
    no I look at it enough and figured it out. It is the only time Marvin could have been cut. It was a wild first round and both were throwing and Hearns being taller means his mouthpiece was at the level of Hagler's forehead. They punched at the same time and Marvin sort of moved forward and bumped into Hearns and it cut. It is with 1:20-1:19 left in round one. Right after that Al Michaels says Hagler is cut. Hagler is cut.

5. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Well you'd be wrong. If you had seen the fight then you would have known that Hagler was having many problems avoiding the slowpoke Roldan's blows as his reflexes and footwork were visibly slowing. I haven't seen the fight in a long time, but I believe that it was Larry Merchant who even said that we are seeing the 1st signs of slippage in Hagler.

6. MAG1965

Dec 1, 2008
    the irony is that Roldan made guys look terrible because he was not just aggressive , he was ridiculously aggressive. Gil Clancy said when he fought Hearns " you cannot find sparring partners who can do what Roldan does" Fact is they said Tommy was washed up when he fought Roldan. Hagler asked Hearns after the Roldan fight, did you find him awkward? Problem with Roldan was when he slowed down he was easy to hit. Roldan even hit Michael Nunn. Hagler looked fine against Hamsho in 1984, and stopped him in 3.

7. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    But Marvin looked like he was slipping against Roldan, who was hitting him with shots he would have easily avoided just 2 years prior. Even Merchant said you can see the slippage. You could see it in both Hagler's reflexes and footspeed. And btw, you were off by almost 2 years with Hagler's age at that time. Hagler was 2 months shy of his 30th when he fought Roldan.