Why has team USA been doing so bad in the amateurs

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Joejr, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Joejr

Joejr Boxing Addict banned

Jun 10, 2014
    Mate there is no longer headgear and the scoring system is now ten point must and USA had there worst world championships ever under that scoring system so that excuse doesn't fly anymore

2. Bald_Toad

Bald_Toad Ring Title Full Member

Aug 4, 2011
    because we suck at boxing like we suck at soccer, the sports aren't popular in the usa and hardly anyone grows up wanting to be a boxer anymore. our two best fighters fought in the amateurs over 10 years ago.

3. ArseBandit

ArseBandit Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    It's not a popular sport in many places in fairness. It's probably comparitively more popular here in Ireland, but it's far from being popular.

4. Winger

Winger Member Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    I don't think American boxers were ever very good. It just seemed like it when they were fighting other Americans.

Once the Mexican/South American & European (& a few Asian) fighters finally set up organizations that didn't completely ignore them and block them out of title fights like the old days, they pretty much took over.

America has a very soft culture. I've lived here for a long time now but it's still a culture shock how the males here think it's normal/OK to just beg for stuff or proclaim how oppressed they are. It doesn't breed fighters. Cultures where people want to be the best and the greatest breed fighters. Americans all dream of being "equal"..... Eww ww.

5. freddy-wak

freddy-wak M O D E R A T O R Full Member

Oct 28, 2004
    :lol:

this is Olympic talk, right ?

it barely changed...barely !

you'll see in the near future (if these rules stick) how easy usa and mexico will dominate

6. ArseBandit

ArseBandit Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Olympic talk?

No it's world championship talk.

7. Joejr

Jun 10, 2014
    Last world championship rules changed USA barely won a fight let alone a medel, USA actually did better with the old point scoring and head gear

8. Chango

Chango Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Nobody cares about the amateurs...the pro's is what counts. You think a baseball or basketball player would be content or brag about being a great amateur? NO, his dream is to make it to the pro's. What good is it being a great amateur if you cant cut it to be a decent professional.

9. Joejr

Jun 10, 2014
    Ya that's been Americas response since they have been doing terrible in the amateurs who cares? Well they cared when they were doing well and when jones got robbed didn't they.

Saying who cares about the amatuer is idiotic if your don't have a good grass roots system and funding all the way up your obviously not going to produce as much talent

10. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Here's Lenroy Thompson aka Cam F Awesome boxing with Magomedrasul Medzhidov.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM8mbYpbi3E

Keep in mind Medzhidov has won the amateur superheavyweight world championship twice, has an Olympic bronze medal, and beat Anthony Joshua, and all the other top superheavies in the ammies. He's the highest rated fighter on AIBA world amateur rankings. Considering all that, I think Lenroy does alright against him. Lenroy isn't the second coming of Lennox Lewis or Riddick Bowe, but he's obviously got some skills, and it might be nice to see him mix it up with Deontay Wilder or others.

Lenroy Thompson didn't make it to the Olympic games even though he qualified, because he missed three drug tests. That reminds me. Didn't Broner miss the Olympics 'cause he was in jail for robbing someone? I think we might have a couple of top guys who missed the Olympics for one reason or another.

11. Joejr

Jun 10, 2014

Can awesome has never beaten a top international super heavyweight and if your heavyweight hopes are on him then the situation in America is even sadder than I taught, awesome got beat by a Greek superwavyweight in an Olympic trail event ffs

Oh so now the new excuse for America doing terrible in amatuer boxing was are boys were in jail or missed drugs test this is priceless lmfao

12. Kevin Willis

Kevin Willis Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 16, 2013
    I am an American and the overwhelming majority of them disgust me. Ignorants **** talkers or pie in the sky dreamers who think they have a birth right to everything.

Eksman likes this.
  13. OvidsExile

Aug 28, 2012
    No need to be a jerk. I was just pointing out that here's a decent American amateur boxer it might be worth keeping an eye on.

14. Joejr

Jun 10, 2014
    His at best average mate, he wouldn't even be in the top 20 super heavyweights in amatuer boxing

15. OvidsExile

Aug 28, 2012