Why has team USA been doing so bad in the amateurs

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Joejr, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Joejr

Joejr Boxing Addict banned

Jun 10, 2014
    Please don't tell me you take aibas rankings seriously ?

2. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Are there any other world organizations which rank amateur boxers, who's rankings I should go by?

3. daprofessor

daprofessor da legendary professor Full Member

Sep 1, 2007
    to me it's simple....

how you train is how you fight...

most gyms in the u.s. are training kids to fight like pros. olympic style boxing is a totally different animal. all of our tournaments/shows/judging criteria/etc...is not modeled after olympic style boxing. take a look at the cuban system. from the bottom to the top...nothing changes. those kids are all being taught olympic style boxing. if everyone would put their bull**** egos aside...and sacrifice short sighted entertainment for long sighted success...things can turn around.

bringing in pro coaches like freddie roach who has never produced an olympic champion is not the answer. having an understanding for the scoring system is key. ppl think because they went back to scoring round by round that it's going to change...it has some...but come time for the olympics...we're going to be right back where we started.

4. Joejr

Jun 10, 2014
    Yes the common sense ranking or how good they actually are

AIBP take all regional competitions into consideration for rankings which Is whys. Guy from Iraq is ranked 14 when in reality his probebly not even too 50

5. Joejr

Jun 10, 2014

Mate we've been through this about 4 times already they changed the scoring to a 10 point must system and removed headgear at the last world championships and it was probebly USA worst performance ever they barely won a fight

6. daprofessor

Sep 1, 2007
    i guess u missed the part where i said...

"having an understanding for the scoring system is key. ppl think because they went back to scoring round by round that it's going to change...it has some...but come time for the olympics...we're going to be right back where we started."

again...it goes to how our tournaments/shows are being judged/scored here in the u.s. they think it's pro boxing and it's not. they lack understanding across the board. i know this for fact.

7. Joejr

Jun 10, 2014
    Mate ye can't can barely win a fight at a major tournament because the guys aren't good enough , they used to have the scoring excuse system now that that's gone your saying that there just not used to it die to USA judges

The list of excuses is endless lmfao

8. daprofessor

Sep 1, 2007
    this is not an excuse. it's true. i've competed internationally as a fighter and a coach. i've been involved in boxing for well over 30yrs. i know what i'm talking about.

our programs no longer have the experienced coaches who competed internationally who understand the olympic system. period. again....when you have amateur shows with two kids who are beating the crap out of each other with very little boxing...and the kids are being rewarded for that....it will only produce more. so come time for the world games..or international competition where american kids are trying to fight while their opponents are boxing...they lose. as for the talent...it's still here...it's just misguided.

9. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Excellent response.

10. Joejr

Jun 10, 2014
    The points scoring system was in in the 90's America did alright , what suddenly happened in the last ten years that the judging suddenly didn't give a **** and everything is gone downhill

Your original answer was that even though they went back to a ten pointust system the judges aren't scoring it right that been a recent innovation and doesn't account for the failures of the USA team for almost ten years in the point scoring system

And the downfall in team USA can't be blamed on ye pint scoring system because ye used to do well with it

So many holes in your argument when you break it down

11. daprofessor

Sep 1, 2007
    i should have explained further...the judges in the u.s. scoring at our shows and tournaments are not scoring it right. there are talented fighters that would do well internationally...but because of our poor system...the right fighters aren't advancing.

the system changed after the 88 olympics when roy jones was blatantly robbed. our understanding of the system has been limited....thus...limited success. since the change only dlh, david reid and andre ward have won gold medals for the u.s. men's team. claressa shields won for women's. again...we have the talent. our system is flawed.

12. Joejr

Jun 10, 2014
    Yes but during the 90's the USA were a lot more competive and usually finished quiet highly on medel tables, over the last 10-12 years they have been abysmal that's where your argument makes no sense was the judging good for a while and then went tits up around the start of the 00's? This is sounding a bit far fetched

13. daprofessor

Sep 1, 2007
    '92 oscar de la hoya won gold

'96 david reid

'00 nothing

'04 andre ward

'08 nothing

'12 nothing

it's called a decline and is in perfect line with what i'm saying.

the judging in the u.s. has gotten worse. the system is setting our boxers up for failure. it's not consistent from the bottom to the top.

14. Joejr

Jun 10, 2014
    Is all you measure amatuer success in is Olympic gold medels? A fve year old probebly wouldn't even do that

And the scoring system has changed and America did worse and don't give me that bs that oh it's still scored like amateurs just over a round ,lots of Americans have been going on for ages that the reason they were doing terrible is due to the points system they went to the ten point must system and they did worse

And American fighters do terrible in the wsb which is also basically pro boxing explain that?

15. daprofessor

Sep 1, 2007
    there are no parades for second best.

clearly you just want to argue for arguments sake. i am not blaming the scoring system. i am blaming our system and lack of understanding of the international scoring system. i am also blaming our system here in the u.s. for not being consistent across the board. but again....that doesn't mean we don't have talent.

the wsb was just a horrible idea with too many hometown decisions from what i observed. those fighters were facing each other too early in their careers without a gold medal or big stakes on the line.