why hasnt tyson ever mentioned rooney?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by London, Nov 5, 2015.

1. London

London New Member Full Member

Nov 4, 2015
    just kinda came to me have you ever heard mike speak about the high times with rooney?

i heard they may have went to court,could it be that reason that he is annoyed about it?

ive seen the teddy atlas footage and them shaking hands and mike saying how important atlas was in the amateur days which was nice of mike saying that as teddy seemed pretty jealous and negative about Tyson as he made it without him perhaps till only recently when they shook hands it was rare if at all to hear teddy say a positive comment about the legendary HW champ

,but i find it bizarre just that ive never heard him ever say" kevin and i had a great relationship" or along the lines or even mention rooney in the slightest i was expecting him to talk rooney in being mike tyson but he didnt!

i mean all his biggest most impressive performances were with rooney
    the most ive heard was in the being mike tyson documentary holyfield
    explains to him how when he was with rooney his head movement was unpredictable and how later on he had new trainers and he said he could see how it wasn't as good and he could work it out, it had a rhythm mike just nods his head confirming he could work out his head movement saying himself "you follow the rhythm" which pretty much confirms he was less of a fighter

im a big tyson fan and know every fight every documentary all his latest footage on youtube
    maybe someone heard him recently talk rooney would be interesting to hear!

robert ungurean likes this.
  2. guncho

guncho next champion! Full Member

Oct 15, 2007
    when he was mikes trainer mike didn't talk great deal of him aswell. i think rooney was just someone that knew cus training routine but was not a good trainer or maybe over did it trying to be like Cus. who knows.

3. Azzer85

Azzer85 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2010
    People dont realise that it was Rooney who caused the split not Tyson.

Im at work, will elaborate the full story later.

4. London

Nov 4, 2015
    wasnt it king , ive heard rooney talk about it seen the usual story
    cheers pls elaborate

we,ve heard rooney talk tyson plenty of times but never the other way

5. London

Nov 4, 2015
    no he did mentioned rooney loads mate , always kevin my trainer bill my promoter and myself , watch the early day videos.

mikes so open and gives amazing interviews speaks so true of himself just a bit bizarre that ive never heard him mention rooneys name since the split, or certainly in recent years eveytime he is interviewed to reflect on the old days

6. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Maybe because nobody ever asks him about Rooney.

7. Pugilist_Spec

Pugilist_Spec Hands Of Stone Full Member

Aug 17, 2015
    Rooney was berating Tyson on his personal life and insulted Robin Givens so as punishment Mike and Don King decided to have Rooney sit out the Bruno fight.

Rooney then took them to court, and when it was all said and done Mike told him to **** off.

Sangria likes this.
  8. Azzer85

Mar 13, 2010
    This.

9. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Probably embarrased that he fired the one guy who could keep him in check and away from all the BS.

Tyson and Rooney had a great working relationship. Some call it chemistry.

Sangria likes this.
  10. London

Nov 4, 2015
    but he cant deny how he over achieved with rooney and it turned out he was right about givens

11. London

Nov 4, 2015
    this is also true, but the amount of programs interviews you would expect then to ask him at least ones, if anyone can find any tyson interview where he so much as says "kevin" id be supprised its as he he prewarns them saying dont ask me about the best trainer i had him my life just leave him out

robert ungurean likes this.
  12. 2piece

2piece Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 14, 2014
    I'm sure he does that, but maybe they don't ask him that because Rooney is only relevant to avid followers of boxing.

13. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Rooney was only as good as Tyson decided to make him.

All this stuff about "Rooney knew the D'amato system" is nonsense really. Any decent trainer can watch the entire Tyson catalogue of fights over and over and simply keep Tyson working on the style that works for him ..... some of the best trainers could have probably improved on it ...... IF Tyson wants to keep coming to the gym and keeping his mind on boxing.

And if people think Rooney was some sort of disciplinarian that Tyson would respect and obey, that's evidently untrue by what actually happened.

Basically Rooney gets overrated because he was riding on the D'amato - Jacobs/Cayton - Mike Tyson machine that was already up and running when Cus died.

14. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Exactly and if Richie Giachetti couldn't make it work then nobody could, in fact Tyson did his best bodywork in his career for the second Ruddock bout IMO. Save all this bull**** about him staying undefeated under Rooney, Tyson had shot his load by 23.

young griffo and The Morlocks like this.
  15. Azzer85

Mar 13, 2010
    That's probably why he doesn't talk about it.

Its hard admitting you were taken or a ride.