why hasnt tyson ever mentioned rooney?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by London, Nov 5, 2015.

1. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    ^
    yeah I think its partly a case of admitting he was wrong, he spent many years calling his old prime team slave drivers and manipulators, doesn't even speak well of Jacobs if at all.

I think where Rooney was concerned they were a great team and their connection seemed to over ride any short comings rooney had as a trainer, Mike did listen to him, there is no doubt about it, even if Giachetti was better he would never have got out of Mike what Rooney did. So it is a big shame it ended like it did, they seemed like brothers, you might say how do you know, but you can see it in the old footage if you look. Mike just took offence to Kevin's lawsuit and never forgave him, Rooney never seemed like the kind of guy to come crawling back with apologies so that was that, Mike may have forgiven him who knows.

On a side note, I don't take much of what Mike says about his prime seriously these days, the talk of being on drugs at that time I don't buy at al, that old team was great for him but he just cant seem to face that, he just berates it, although he will face other failures. Strange.

cole27 and robert ungurean like this.
  2. LXEX55

LXEX55 Active Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2015
    Did Richard Giachetti ever train Tyson? That's news to me. I know he went through a string of trainers at the tail end of his career. Giachetti always said he wished he had trained a young Jerry Quarry.

3. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    ^
    Giachetti was brought in after the loss to Douglas and trained Tyson until he went to prison in 91 I believe. Then he was brought back in for the Holyfield rematch. Tyson was not as good with him that's for sure but doubt that was Giachetti's fault.

4. London

London New Member Full Member

Nov 4, 2015
    although i also agree with the last 2 statements i think this cant be far of the mark,

Tyson knows he made a mistake getting rid , it doesn't take a boxing expert to just watch his fights with rooney then after roony ,

it was mikes unpredictable head movement which made him so dangerous that he stopped after the split
    razor was there to be hit wasnt he fair play mike had a good couple of fights with him ,but the decline was visible

i do think he would have never lost lol i know im opening the what if book which most Tyson fans do but do you blame us

have you ever seen any heavyweight who savagely terrorized the division at the age of 20, no jack dempsy liston ,louis or ali looked or had that aura of invincibility,

fact is he destroyed some very solid heavyweight careers how do we know if Thomas won that night maybe he would have went on and become one of the greats? solid chin big some 30-1, you should hear Dundee talking big about his fighter pre fight, and never in his life did he say a good word for Tyson Jealous that mike would have destroyed his flag ship ali and over take him in the sport (which he was close too)

by this point Tyson destroyed at least 2 of his fighters Berbick for his title and Thomas his number one contender, Watch when he scores for my money his best KO ever againts Thomas he taps Dundee on his shoulder as if to get some sort of acceptance from him perhapes he reminded him of cus they both knew each other and were from the same time , and dundee totally blanks him knowing he doesnt want to give him the satisfaction of making mike feel good for his win

how about tucker ? spinks who came off 2 big wins againts a 48-0 holmes ? and various others most these guys really came to fight hard even watch the James Tillis fight , that man really was in shape and gave it everything,you get alot of boxing fans that try and be cool about the HWs maybe because Tyson is such a popular name so they want to sound interesting listen here i know my sport and trust me

bring out Dempsey Ali , Frazier etc
    no disrespect to any of them but the tyson who was with rooney considered prime tyson vs the Carpentier dempsy the Cleveland Williams ALi, the max schmeling louis 2 name any HW , the moves Tyson was able to make in his prime the leverage he would get into to make those punches the way he was able to slip and weave and hit you without you seeing he was an expert at hitting you off balance when you try and land on him.

,there is an interview with Holmes after the fight another guy who hardly gave Tyson much credit. but on the spot after his loss listen to him saying , "he is the real champ they can talk spinks all they want" , "he is a very sharp puncher very awkward" then he brings out the age card but doesn't mentioned that he went on to go a SD with holyfield , beats an undefeated mercer and actually has an epic final part of his career after the loss!

apart from tyson being one of the sports fascinating success story's its also a tragedy that we never saw him complete his true potential

5. UFC2015

UFC2015 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2015
    I think perhaps he feels that Rooney was just another leech who was only interested in Tysons money

The Morlocks likes this.
  6. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Perhaps Teddy wrote him off, Rooney is still needy.

7. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    If Tysons had unreasonably alienated Rooney, I think at this time, he would have reconciled.

However the fact that he never mentions Rooney today, tells me that Rooney did something wrong to Tyson which he cannot forgive, even with a cooler head.

8. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    The likes of Dempsey, Liston and Foreman didn't have that aura? I'd like some of what you're smoking please.

The Morlocks likes this.
  9. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Well if that's the case Tyson cut off his own nose to spite his face.....

10. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Best Tyson post ever.

Wass1985 likes this.
  11. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Rooney was speaking some truth. Too bad Tyson didn't listen to him.

12. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Tyson hardly mentions anyone from his past apart from cus tomato. No Jacobs, Cayton, Rooney or Atlas.

Golden_Feather99 likes this.
  13. Alphafighter

Alphafighter Active Member banned Full Member

Dec 4, 2017
    I read John Horne's book, he was one of Tysons close friends in the Don King team and he disclosed that after the Douglas defeat, they under instruction from Don King went to Rooneys house to convince him to become Tysons trainer again and to drop his Lawsuit against Tyson

All they say was a guy who had pizza boxes, beer cans and liquor bottles all over the place and living in a pig sty. Rooney was absolutely condescending, racist and in fact even told the guys give me ten million dollars in a suitcase cash or get the **** out of here.

To me it sounds like Rooney had zero interest in Tyson the person and was only motivated by the gravy train. Sure he knew the dmato system well and he gelled best with Mike but I am pretty sure his antics hurt Tyson too much and were never forgiven. In a recent podcast Tyson was very reserved in his praise and was like Rooney knew the Cus Dmato System best but then went to mention that Cus was planning to get rid of him.

To be honest in my opinion if Rooney had not filed that lawsuit against Tyson history would have been very different but then again with Tyson being so caught up in the party celebrity lifestyle, his own lack of interest and diminishing hunger for greatness in a sport combined with having a reflex supreme conditioning dependant fighting young man fighting style not conducive to a boxer entering his late 20's to early 30's, I wonder whether he would have continued to be as effective for very long

14. Alphafighter

Alphafighter Active Member banned Full Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Lol if true, thats the most ridiculous argument i have ever heard. A successful trainer doesn't necessarily have to be a successful fighter. Someone like Lennox Lewis or Mike Tyson themselves will never be able to become succesful trainers. Tysons records and deterioration in his overall skillset before and after Rooney is in front of everyone

15. steve1990

steve1990 Active Member Full Member

Jul 7, 2012
    I wouldn't take anything John Horne says seriously he was the definition of a leech.