Why Holy and Lewis hate on AJ

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Jul 12, 2019.

1. latineg

latineg user of dude wipes Full Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Holy crap! I didn’t know it was that many!

2. lefthandlead

lefthandlead Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Cool story. I like the "meeting retired pro" stories.

3. lefthandlead

lefthandlead Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Lol! Might've been one of his many baby mamas!

cslb likes this.
  4. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    I remember reading about it, like 50,000 square feet if I recall. 150 seat movie theater, all kinds of over the top opulence. smh

lefthandlead likes this.
  5. madballster

madballster VIP Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Plus that 5,000 acre estate with a 19 bedroom mansion and 45 employees to run the place probably also cost a lil' bit of pocket change.

The problem with poor people who win the lottery or otherwise earn big money without having to use their brains is they see the price of a prestige asset and don't realize the recurring costs it comes with.

A big house routinely costs 3-8% every year. Insurance, staff, maintenance, security, property taxes. If you have $20 million in the bank (with no further income down the line) and you think you can easily afford a $15 million place then think again.

Same with yachts by the way. A rule of thumb is they cost about 10% of the purchase price. Every year. Port fees, insurance, gasoline, maintenance, staff. Operating a $5 million boat can easily cost many hundreds of thousands each year.

6. Wasteman

Wasteman Certified Wasteman Full Member

Jul 17, 2018
    They are both bitter as hell (especially Lewis) and although I'll always respect them for what they accomplished in the ring I no longer care for their crooked opinions about Joshua. I'm not a huge fan of the guy myself but the ridiculous amount of unmerited hate he receives has endeared me to the man in recent months.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  7. Jackstraw

Jackstraw Mercy for me, justice for thee! Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    I lived in Atlanta at the time ( never saw him or his though ) and supposedly also had a bowling alley

madballster and northpaw like this.
  8. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    with 50,000 square feet, a bowling alley wouldn't surprise me at all

Jackstraw likes this.
  9. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sephiroth Rising 7 'No tears please!' banned Full Member

Sep 27, 2016
    What's Lewis bitter about?

Lewis as far as I remember was a real undisputed champion, something which AJ will never achieve. Lewis cemented his place as an ATG, a man who will was never known as a quit job.

10. Willie Maeket

Willie Maeket The Mothership Connection Full Member

Jun 22, 2015
    Rick Ross the rapper and fast food entrepreneur bought it for $2 million. Holyfield was a religious zealot too, he married all those women so he also had to pay alimony on top of child support. Financial education is a tool thats not taught in America's public school systems.
    This content is protected

11. UKboxingfan

UKboxingfan Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Off topic, but makes me mad how these people just go through money so stupidly. Why do you need 11 kids with all these different women? Just live within your means and if you don’t you do deserve everything you get.

lloydturnip likes this.
  12. Rico Spadafora

Rico Spadafora Master of Chins Full Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Holyfield is legit broke and auctioned off just about all his possessions a few years back. Local paper had a good article about his situation a while back. Basically bad business decisions along with a few family members took all his money. One relative alone stole/embezzled like 13 million. He lost a lot of money on a music label. The rest was spent on massive child support obligations because of out of wedlock children.

madballster likes this.
  13. Tramell

Tramell Hypocrites Love to Pray & Be Seen. Mathew 6:5 Full Member

Sep 21, 2012
    I was Just about to chime in on defending him on business ventures. I was in ATL during that time, he had a auto dealership & they were constructing like an olympic pool for amatuers. I forgot all that he spent on it and what it included.

Small but bad choices like Holyfield's hot sauce, really?! Durkey & Frank's cornered that market.

I think what a lot of black athletes/entertainers fail to realize is the ability/inability to get said products in franchise stores. Like Joe Louis who had his Milk Company...he couldn't find vendors, stores outside the black community, IMO same with Holy. He got froze out of places like Walmart, where he could have sales nationwide or global.
    But then again, if one does get subsidized like 50 cent for vitamin water, it's everywhere, but he doesn't get anywhere near what the contracts said minus fees in the itty bity teeny weeny fine print.

14. West of Hollywood

West of Hollywood Active Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Money management skills and having gratitude for what you have (a Toyota Corolla isn't a Ferrari but it's much better than no car) are rare commodities. Most people are not prepared to have substantial amounts of money. So many people who win the lottery are broke and worse off after a few years.

UKboxingfan and madballster like this.
  15. West of Hollywood

West of Hollywood Active Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2018
    I agree with Stewart's assessment. Holy was a very dirty fighter and I think Tyson gets too much blame for their second fight.

Oneirokritis likes this.