Why is “Quitting” looked down upon

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Toney F*** U, Aug 14, 2020.

1. AlwaysFirst

AlwaysFirst Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    If you break something in boxing the ref or the Dr will stop the fight. Otherwise you have to trust that your corner do the right thing.

Look, I been in the corner to a couple of fighters that I saw that they “mentally quit” and started to take unnecessary punishment so I threw in the towel, sometimes you have to save the fighter from themselves. But, I knew that they “quit” and I had hard time to respect them the same after.

OvidsExile likes this.
  2. Hanz Cholo

Hanz Cholo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Julio César Chávez jr
    Victor Ortiz
    Andrew Golota
    Oliver McCall
    & toward at the end of his career
    Even Julio. Cesar Chavez Sr. Started quitting fights.
    Oscar quit against Pacquiao to literally save face. & never fought again

out of all those Oscars is the most understandable because he was past it & retired after that fight.

Reinhardt likes this.
  3. AlwaysFirst

Nov 28, 2015
    It’s your profession, does it really matter what the job is? Will you be ok with a police officer walk away from a dangerous situation because he “feels” like he’s own life is in danger? Or a solider walk a way from a fire fight because he feels he’s own life is in danger? Or a Fireman leaves a burning building with ppl it because he feels it danger his own life? Switch profession if it’s not for you!

Bunch snowflakes on this thread.

pacas and OvidsExile like this.
  4. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    What if there's abuse or exploitation by the management? Wouldn't walking away then be the honourable thing to do?

Eel87 and Toney F*** U like this.
  5. RB1702

RB1702 Well-Known Member Full Member

May 7, 2020
    Give it a rest you idiot haha.

Sinew, Eel87, Jamal Perkins and 3 others like this.
  6. AlwaysFirst

Nov 28, 2015
    Lol, go and watch your table tennis you nerd, boxing is too violent for you snowflake.

OvidsExile likes this.
  7. AlwaysFirst

Nov 28, 2015
    Quitting is never the “honorable” thing to do, even if it is sometimes the smart thing to do.

OvidsExile and Hanz Cholo like this.
  8. AlwaysFirst

Nov 28, 2015
    Listen guys, I wasn’t trying to start a debate, if you guys like quitters or are used to quit in life as soon as it gets hard it’s fine, do what makes you happy, it doesn’t matter to me. I just stated what most fighters feel/think about quitting, that it’s unacceptable, it doesn’t mean it’s right or not but all you guys know it’s no greater feeling than to overcome a tough situation, especially when odds are against you, quitting never feels “good”, it’s no way around it.

pacas and OvidsExile like this.
  9. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Because we view boxers as Supermen. They're supposed to be fearless, gluttons for punishment etc. While there are certainly armchairs who weigh in not knowing much it needs to be remembered that these guys are not judged in comparison to ourselves but rather their peers. Quitting isn't always the worst thing and sometimes totally understandable. Just remember that most boxers who ascended to Olympus did so on account of not only their skills but also toughness. But there are always exceptions(Durans Nomas)

10. Hanz Cholo

Jul 11, 2012
    Also it is looked down upon because fighters sign contracts promoters compensate them (at varying degrees depending on fighter’s popularity) for those inherit risks.

if a fighter quits ... fans feel cheated, promoters face backlash for a crappy event.

promoters typically don’t give quitters too many more opportunities as the fans will be Leary of purchasing another event with a fighter who has a reputation for quitting for obvious reasons.

follow the money, it always leads you to the motives.

AlwaysFirst likes this.
  11. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    The simple answer is because it's not seen as manly or warrior-like.

Reinhardt likes this.
  12. Tankatron

Tankatron Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 1, 2014
    I'm married, own my house, get a rental income from another property thanks to the wife, we own 2 cars and have several 10's of thousands in the bank. I've changed career at nearly 50 this year to become an Asbestos Surveyor, have worked through lock down and can honestly say that I have never been so content in life.

Not really the persona of a quitter, true ill never be a millionnaire but I've never really quit at anything in life. Having said that, I've never been punched to the head and body to the point of unconsciousness and hospitalisation (come pretty close though), so I don't really **** on people who do. Some times it's the right and sensible thing to say 'I've had enough' and fight another day and there is NO SHAME IN IT!

Eel87, Jamal Perkins, pacas and 2 others like this.
  13. Tankatron

Tankatron Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 1, 2014
    And I consider non of them as being quitters.....achieved far more in life than any of us.

14. Rico Spadafora

Rico Spadafora Master of Chins Full Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Add Mike Tyson to the list.

Hanz Cholo likes this.
  15. Hanz Cholo

Jul 11, 2012
    I forgot about Mike being a quitter.
    Hard to view him like that after the way he started.
    Selective memory I suppose.