Why is it everytime someone thinks an old time heavy was good they are accused of having "an agenda"

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Feb 18, 2020.

1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    So what you're saying is that if I were to say that a peak Mike Tyson was better than a peak Lennox Lewis that could be a legit discussion, but if I were to say a peak Scott Ledoux was better than a peak Lennox Lewis, that would be something far fetched that would be reasonable to consider someone trolling?

2. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    You got it the wrong way around with Fury. He's the most skilled 6'9 fighter ever. If you disagree, say who at that height has been better.

But of course someone who's 6'9 will be less coordinated than well coordinated guys that's 6'1. But that's comparing apples with oranges. The question is if i6'9 guys were more skilled in earlier eras than today. I'd say no, emphatically.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  3. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    It's my opinion brother. You may see it differently (Obviously so) but I see a difference and its obvious to me.

4. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Just because he moves well against fighters that don't know how to cut off the ring, doesn't mean he'd be able to do the same against prime M.Tyson, or J.Frazier. it's the level of competition he's faced more than how well he moves.

5. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    We will never know how he would have done against Frazier and Tyson, but he has faced two of the three best he has shared an era with. Could be worse. But again, tell me which 6'9 guys in history have been more skilled than Fury?

Wilder is perhaps the least skilled fighter to ever hold a belt, but he is also viewed as very unskilled. So it's not like he is the reference of a skilled HW today by any reach. But he has very good hand speed, reach and that punch.

Joshua, Povetkin, Parker and Ruiz all have good fundamentals for guys their size. So I don't see any of this supposed decline in skills there. And for those that think Carnera was more skilled than Bowe, there's no idea to strike up a discussion with me, because our comprehension of reality is so fundamentally different when it comes to boxing that it's really no idea.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    mcvey, Brixton Bomber and Seamus like this.
  6. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Pretty much. In the example you gave with Scott ledoux the only options are the person is trolling or theyre an idiot. I'm not about to take that conversation seriously.

I just read a post where someone claimed wilder wouldn't even be able to get a top 10 ranking in the 50's. That borders on Bert Sugar levels of ridiculousness.

7. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    That must be trolling, though.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  8. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    In this famous (or infamous, depending on how you look at it) thread, there were lots of accusations of agendas:
    https://www.boxingforum24.com/threa...fighter-primo-carnera-or-riddick-bowe.585492/

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  9. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    The most logical answer on this entire thread among such a lot of nonsense.

thistle likes this.