Why is it that when a decent boxer....

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by oztriker, Mar 11, 2008.

1. oztriker

oztriker Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 28, 2005
    who has made the grade.... takes a risk .... and gets beaten by a top fighter...

Suddenly becomes a Bum?:roll:

I hate that.... see it all the time here in Australia.

Maccarinelli was beaten by a superior fighter....but no way can he be considered a bum.

Rather... He deserves admiration for taking such a dangerous fight.

(And that's coming from an Aussie):oops:

2. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    I think Enzo still has a part to play at world class- he would beat Mormeck.

3. steelem

steelem Active Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Whats So Wrong In Calling Someone A Bum - No Big Deal - He Messed Up So What!!

4. robpalmer135

robpalmer135 Obsessed with Boxing banned

Jun 29, 2007
    the occasion got to Enzo, don't get me wrong he was always going to loose, but he was already shitting himself before he got in the ring.

5. dwilson

dwilson Guest

I hope now since the loss Macca can come back and prove to us all that he is a serious championship class fighter. The lad got alot of stick from fighting Gunn etc but he is still a worthy mention when rating the top 10 cruiser's. I would love to see him win back his belt. The lad is no bum, just got beat by a potential great.

6. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007

Agree that the big stage seemed to get to Macca - he looked ill at ease and nervous from the start which was in contrast to Haye who just seemed to lap up the occasion.

7. steelem

Mar 5, 2006
    I AGREE - HE BUMMED OUT!!

8. GazOC

GazOC Guest Star for Team Taff Full Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I agree, no wonder boxers and promotors are so hesitant about taking difficult fights if this is how they are treated after a loss. The fans moan about fighters ducking the true challenges and then murder them when they lose, with that attitude you can argue that its that type of fans fault the big fights don't happen more often in the first place.

9. hook

hook Member Full Member

Sep 11, 2007
    Can someone please confirm whether bum is rated above or below tomato can ;)

Thanks

10. Tony Harrison

Tony Harrison Active Member Full Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Many seem to resent Macca for being a Warren fighter and defending the WBO strap mostly against unknown journeymen (I personally thought the Bobby Gunn fight was an outrage and a dangerous one at that!). They see this as a case of 'when he stepped up against a top class opponent he got KTFO'.

To be honest that is precisely why I wanted Haye to win. He has taken risks his whole career and achieved amazing success for such a young fighter and deals exclusively in brutal knockouts regardless of the opposition. (He's also a Londoner:hey ).

To call Enzo a bum is harsh though as at the end of the day he just got beat by a far better fighter. The cruiser weight division is wide open now with Haye's departure so let's see where the big guy goes from here.

11. Tony Harrison

Tony Harrison Active Member Full Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Fighters often get labelled a bum for fighting tomato cans so that would suggest bum > tomato can.

12. Beeston Brawler

Beeston Brawler Comical Ali-egedly Full Member

Jan 9, 2008
    The occasion was bound to get to Enzo, given the fact that he has never headlined a bill before, always playing chief support to Joe Calzaghe.

David Haye has headlined on a few occasions, even headlining on Friday Fight Night would be beneficial - at least you get used to being on the main event.

In terms of the question regarding tomato cans/bums, I think it is difficult to determine between the two. I agree with Ricky Hatton's philosophy when describing 'journeymen', in that they fall into three categories: The easy, the awkward, and the dangerous - by that I suppose he means that the easy ones will just run away all the time, giving you an easy points win, the awkward will provide a test (perfect IMO), whilst the dangerous ones actually have a chance of doing you - meaning that they shouldn't be journeymen in the first place.

Examples of easy ones include Billy Smith and Peter Buckley, awkward possibly Andrew Facey and Gary Reid, whilst dangerous ones are the likes of Eamon Magee and Michael Gomez (both in earlier days granted)

13. Leif Erikson

Leif Erikson Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 3, 2004
    He's no bum. He's just a B level fighter right now to Haye's A, which isn't shameful at all. I do believe that Enzo should fight a consistently better stream of opposition now though. No more joke fights.

14. steelem

Mar 5, 2006
    flyxstuff your getting on my nerves now - what a ridiculous question - hearns is a legend & cannot be put in the same category as maccarennelli..