Why is Liston given credit for being a harder puncher than Joe Louis?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, May 24, 2023.

1. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    If Schmeling and Patterson are comparable H2H and Louis dropped a bout to Schmeling, that just proves my point even more that Patterson can conceivably take one bout in a trilogy. Louis would also for the first time in his prime, face a fighter much faster than himself.

2. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Ridiculous. If power was all it took to stop Patterson, he would have a lot more stoppage losses.

Bokaj and Terror like this.
  3. Terror

Terror free smoke Full Member

Mar 22, 2010
    I said the opposite, Sonny's jab, physicality and body work were all wrong for Patterson, not his power--and Floyd chose to stand right there and trade (with a more durable, more physical, frankly better fighter). That was a bad strategy.

4. Shay Sonya

Shay Sonya The REAL Wonder Woman! Full Member

Aug 15, 2021
    Sonny Liston was absolute poison for Floyd Patterson, and I think Sonny Liston hit with more power per punch than Joe Louis did. I also think Joe Louis would have beaten Floyd Patterson or Sonny Liston head to head.

5. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Sure.. Patterson could win one, but Louis was caught slacking by Schmeling. So while Patterson could win, I wouldn't bank on him to win. Plus, Patterson and Schmeling had different styles. Patterson vs Schmeling would be another good fight. I think Schmeling is better than Johansson, but not quite as hard a right hand, but close.

Pedro_El_Chef and swagdelfadeel like this.
  6. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Was Liston really a BETTER fighter than Patterson as opposed to more powerful and bigger? If Liston was 185 pounds with the same skills, would you say he was better?

7. Spreadeagle

Spreadeagle Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2023
    Liston's punching power was for real,no way was it overrated.The damage Sonny could inflict
    on his opponents was gruesome.Liston is one of the most destructive punchers in history.

8. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Because he was slower, and the results were similarly frightening?

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  9. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
  10. Pugguy

Pugguy Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Schmeling fought a smart fight vs Louis but it doesn’t necessarily translate to success for similar type boxers.

The other significant features to Max’s performance were his tremendous courage and supporting durability - Max soaked up a lot of punishment along the way.

Sort of similar to applauding Ali’s brilliant strategy vs Foreman whilst also appreciating that the successful realisation of such a strategy was still wholly unique to Ali - courage and resilience being no mean ingredients to the whole recipe.

11. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    He was? That's extremely debatable. Patterson has a very decent record and beat plenty of good men in the ring over a long period of time.

12. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Patterson didn't beat anyone as good as Joe Louis, though.

Pedro_El_Chef likes this.
  13. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    As you yourself acknowledged, Louis's foes had poor skill, thus beating them is no big deal.
    Liston would have beaten them sooner and even worse.

14. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    That's one win, one in which a combination of factors were involved. One could absolutely say Schmeling had the best win. Schmeling also has a better win than the likes of Holmes, Louis and Mike Tyson. Would you say that makes Schmeling better than that lot?

15. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    One very significant factor was Schmeling repeatedly punching Joe Louis.

No, just like beating Ali in FOTC doesn't place Frazier over Louis or Holmes. But it sure gives Frazier's resume added luster when you put it next to Patterson's.