Why is Pacquiao willing to fight Loma instead of Crawford?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by jmashyaka, Jan 17, 2018.

1. jmashyaka

jmashyaka Boxing Addict Full Member

May 7, 2016
    He stopped Indongo, Molina and Diaz after why did you pick the one fight where he cruised?

2. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Because he cruised against his only half decent JWW. Gamboa is tiny and doesn't count.

3. jmashyaka

May 7, 2016
    Diaz was an avoided fighter, gold medalist coming off a big win against an unbeaten Vasquez at a higher weight and Indongo was undefeated, had collect two belts in less than one year. Your only saying they are not half decent because the manner in which Crawford disposed of them.

4. J Jones

J Jones Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Master Al’s biggest mistake was not requiring the toughest fights for his fighters. He should’ve set out, from day one, to put PPV caliber matches on network TV.

If he would’ve done this AND the fights turned out as good as they looked on paper, I could imagine the networks loosening up their time slots.

2 hour shows would’ve become 3 hour shows and it would’ve been possible to build his fighters’ profiles a lot quicker. I also think he would’ve generated revenue with this approach, instead of bleeding money.

JohnnyDrama99 likes this.
  5. jmashyaka

May 7, 2016
    People say Al’s biggest problem is this and that. Do you guys realise that Al’s main goal was to make his clients and himself big money? I don’t like it as a fan but from a business perspective he has done a fantastic job. He has probably made more money than Bob, Eddy, and Oscar combined.

From a fans perspective we got crap match ups on the PBC but his second me of his showtime cards were sick.

6. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Not defending him either but can't single one out and not the other.

Pac Loma makes sense. Id rather see him outboxed than beaten up by Crawford

7. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    To be fair to Al his fighters are less active but keep far more of their purse than they would with Bob and Oscar

jmashyaka likes this.
  8. jmashyaka

May 7, 2016
    If you told most modern fighters would rather less fight, lower risk fighters and big pay checks majority would say yes. That’s what Al has offered them, bad thing for us as the fans is the fighters become spoiled and are less likely to take risks, good thing for us is it causes the other promoters to up their game as they don’t wanna lose fighters to Haymon.

tee_birch likes this.
  9. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    Nobody knows who Diaz was and he was not regarded as the man in the division. Crawford Postol at that time was considered the fight to determine who "The Man" was at 140. Crawford cruised to an easy and boring decision. Hardly something a guy like Evander Holyfield and or Manny Pacquiao would do.

10. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    The fans are the most unforgiving. Pacquiao made his name against Featherweights. Then when he moved up to WW he destroyed Cotto. Which was a complete anomaly for him at that weight class. The fans don't seem to care how small Pac is. He's been afforded no excuses for his lack of size. Pacquiao hasn't fought a man his own size since 2007 when he rematched Barrera and before that it was 2004 when he fought Fashong 3K battery.

11. jmashyaka

May 7, 2016
    No Indongo vs Crawford was the fight to see who was the man because both had two belts. Yeah it was a shame because I think Crawford could have got Postol out of there, but I think because it was his first unification he just wanted to get a clean job done.

12. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    You need to look at a guy like Adrien Broner who is the worst 4 weight world champion in boxing history to really see your point. Broner is not a great TV fighter although he's not the worst either. But he's been exposed as a mediocre fighter for years now. But he won't stop flapping that damn mouth and he's still a name fighter. Because he just won't STFU. I'm like please for the love of god just make it stop. For some reason America loves watching a black guy who won't stop blabbering and making a jackass of himself.

13. jmashyaka

May 7, 2016
    What are you talking about was Marquez not Pacquiao size? Do you know how many catchweights Manny has had his opponents come in? Mannys a warrior but he has used his pulling power to his advantage too.

14. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    Technically yes, but Postol was rated and Indongo despite holding belts was not rated. I mean Jeff Horn is the lineal WW champion, but a fight between Horn and Spence for example will not determine who the man is in that division. It will have to involve either Crawford, Spence and Thurman. Those are the top guys at 147 right now, lineal status be damned.

15. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    Marquez is bigger than Pac. Just watch their first fight. You will see the height and bigger shoulders of Marquez. In both the British and American broadcasts the commentators commented on the imposing size and strength of Marquez relative to Pacquiao.