Why is Spence so highly rated?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by tinman, Feb 12, 2019.

1. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    i tried finding my actual pre fight prediction in detail, but got tired of looking. this is what i posted right after the fight. if you rewatch the fight, notice how in the early rds brook tried bear hugging spence the way he beat porter and spence just pushes him off and pounds his body for trying that crap. very few things happened in that fight that i didnt see going in.

2. Crixus139

Crixus139 Member Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    The guy oozes talent. Very strong and comfortable at the weight. I recently watched some of his earlier fights on boxing gold (sky). Spence looked awesome ploughing through the ranks.

Shame he is not more active.

3. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    I cant see any of the other WWs beating him.

Once he pounds Mikey into bolivian he will have trouble finding dance partners.

4. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    That's an excellent question, he's basically a combination Manny Pacquiao and Antonio Margarito, two of the most hated fighters on this site. Beats the hell out of me.:nusenuse:

5. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Kell did well against him. Some of the things Kell did by landing the right Garcia might do.

6. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    He has an exciting pleasing style, has sound fundamentals and is aggressive, fighters like that tend to get a lot of hype.

How good he really is, is still up for debate. He can be out boxed, Brook showed that, his defence isn't great and his wide stance makes him more stationary which means he can and will be out boxed again at some point, probably if he fights Crawford. But if he has the grit, desire, power and relentlessness to overcome being out boxed then he could be as good as some suggest.

I think he'll beat Garcia but he won't dominate as many expect, Garcia will have some success before being overwhelmed by the bigger man. He probably beats Thurman who is coming back from an injury and didn't look great on his return, though I think he beats prime Thurman too. Crawford beats him in my opinion though, Crawford is simply too skilled and will win a decision or stop him late.

7. DoubleJab666

DoubleJab666 Dot, dot, dot... Full Member

Nov 9, 2015
    It could be as simple as, when breaking his boxing down into its component parts and looking at them in isolation its easy to say 'Boxer X' is better at this, or 'Boxer Y' can do that better, and as a result start to doubt his status. But when you knit all his physical and technical abilities back together they are all good enough in every department - and in some aspects great/elite - to make the overall package a challenge to any welter...

8. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Manny Pacquiao — The Thurmanator banned Full Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Much of the ballyhoo is about Spence's size. If he weren't a huge welterweight, he'd not get anywhere close to the same amount of hype/props.

9. BigStiffIdiot

BigStiffIdiot Safer than Adam Smith's laptop password. Full Member

Sep 4, 2018
    He could fight one of the other 9 out of the top 10 that he is yet to fight? Just an idea..

10. cippi

cippi Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 28, 2009
    spence is heck of a fighter at 147. if he makes 147 comfortably he wrecks everyone. hes not losing till he moves up. as of right now hes highly rating and deserves it.

11. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Brook is his best win and the eye that Spence damaged was a different one to the one which GGG damaged. Brook was doing well, probably winning until about the half way point when Spence started to take over the fight. He then systematically took Brook apart. And it was from pure physicality either, he started out-jabbing Brook and countering him too. Brook is a very good win at WW. He doesn't have much to his resume outside of that in truth. He's my #1 at 147 but him, Thurman and Crawford need to fight each other. I ain't interested in them trying to fight Manny's ghost or Garcia.

12. Greatest Story

Greatest Story ''Everybody Know I Beat him!'' banned Full Member

Feb 14, 2019
    He looks a legit talent but he only has one good win. It's crazy that some people have him in their P4P lists!

13. Cafe

Cafe Sitzpinkler Full Member

Sep 2, 2011
    I think he's overrated personally. I do not see that prodigy status people attach to him. Good, solid fighter? Absolutely. But for me he's yet to show what makes him as special as people make him out to be.

I rate Crawford a lot higher than Spence personally who I do view as special.

I think the main reason why Spence got so hyped is because of Mayweather sparring rumors. He was rumoured to have bested Mayweather in sparring so a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon.

tinman likes this.