Why is the Tyson "PEEK-a-BOO" Style Not Popular??

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Kiwi_in_America, May 14, 2020.

1. DanDaly

DanDaly Active Member Full Member

Apr 28, 2020
    It's probably the most taxing style physically. Not to mention the style is based on a number system. Being that it was invented by Cus and he didn't pass it on down to too many people not a lot of trainers can teach it past what they've seen on youtube.

2. Kiwi_in_America

Kiwi_in_America The Tuaminator Full Member

Oct 19, 2006
    I think there's enough info to teach it

And a lot of 6-foot HWs would be helped by it - in fact, all sizes

3. Kratos

Kratos Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Issue is that the trainers suck and tyson was an anomaly. Its like floyd with the shoulder roll, how many people have tried that and the peek a boo style and failed? They dont have the intelligence for it on top of the physical gifts. Crazy thing is that all the heavyweights today lack the skill and technique to counter the peek a boo so they are ripe for the picking, you saw that with ruiz and joshua, ruiz said he watched a lot of tyson videos in prep and the shot he landed on joshuas ear was the weave to the left and with momentum he came up and bombed him which was a great move, it was lucky though because ruiz abandoned it afterwards. Most fighters and trainers today lack boxing skill, thats the way it is. With the peekaboo you need rhythm and 100% of the fighters today dont have it, just watch them, they may have athleticism but they are stiff because they dont have the genes and the lack of good training on top of it. All the good trainers now are dead.

4. Kiwi_in_America

Oct 19, 2006
    Teddy Atlas can train this way

But he may keep the details secret....

5. RJJFan

RJJFan Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Sep 5, 2010
    There's 2 things I take away from this: Tyson was a genetic freak who had the once in a lifetime meeting with the exact right coach to teach how to use his gifts and there will never be someone like Tyson again. Which makes me sad.

6. Cafe

Cafe Sitzpinkler Full Member

Sep 2, 2011
    There's been a few fighters who adopted certain elements of Tyson's style. I think the best fighters find what works for them rather than trying to completely clone someone else.

7. Kiwi_in_America

Oct 19, 2006
    Wasn't "Tyson"s style

Was Cus D'Amato's style - taught to many boxers - a number of whom became champs

Last edited: May 23, 2020