Why is Wilder always talking about the "UK salary cap"

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by bruce_keyes, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Tazz

Tazz Member Full Member

Dec 24, 2009
    How much income do they need when they own and entirely control a company. Whatever they need, the company can buy, reducing the net amount of tax on the company for that year. Why else do you think they incorporate these companies? What's the point of Fury owning his own company if he's going to take all that money out as salary and pay full tax on it?

Momus and S.K like this.
  2. Gymbot

Gymbot Active Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2017
    You can offset legitimate business expenses of course. Like most people (including me), having a limited company helps reduce tax but it doesn’t mean you avoid it or just pay corporation tax as you claimed. The likes of Joshua and Fury won’t draw their entire earnings in one go. They will take what they need in dividends, but still pay dividend tax. The main benefit is you avoid National Insurance. They will still be paying 38% on most of it.

3. Tazz

Tazz Member Full Member

Dec 24, 2009
    There are a lot of ways to reduce the amount of tax paid, and I'm sure that they will employ as many of them as they can. Especially the higher paid boxers.

Lower paid boxers, don't need to bother, it would probably cost more than they would save. Still a significantly lower amount of tax than 50%.

S.K likes this.
  4. S.K

S.K Active Member banned Full Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Tax is 45% pal not 50%.

Plus, if someone is earning that much, there are loads of legal loop holes out there that can be used to reduce the amount of tax you pay.

bbjc likes this.
  5. Secret Service US

Secret Service US New Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2018

So if Football and Rugby was a behind a PPV Paywall. It would still be popular ?
    Boxing is the second biggest sport in the UK.

Why do you feel ashamed to mention that ?
    Is it because you try to portray the image that the UK dosent really care about Boxing and it’s still the “home of
    boxing”. The UK Fans clearly care a lot about boxing, watch any boxing
    related video on IFL, Fighthype, BTG, Fighthub, Even American Channels such as Showtime, you will see hordes of UK Fans on the comments section etc

The PPV Price is £20
    The tickets are very cheap

The UK Fans will stay up until 5am to watch a fight from the US. Why did Hatton-Mayweather, Mayweather-Pacquiao and Mayweather-Mcgregor do 1M Plus PPV Buys in the Uk ? If you don’t believe me, research it.

6. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Just checked it your spot on mate 45 percent. No too sure where I got the 50 from. I m in Scotland always thought it was fifty up here...at one point anyway. Think I m wrong tho...says Scotland currently 46 percent. The rest of the UK...45 percent.

Its one of them if your rich you,d probably use the loopholes. If your skint tho their bang out of order. I m pretty skint...so out of order from them.

7. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Wilder has diarrhea of the mouth. He's low IQ but thinks he's a genius. It's pretty sad tbh. Textbook example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Guybino and gmurphy like this.
  8. Secret Service US

Nov 10, 2018
    But Eddie Hearn has clearly stated, the fight makes more in the US than the UK. How can you respond to that ?

But the UK PPV Model, is 50% goes to the fighter, 40% goes to Sky (Sky are the cable company and distributor) and 10% to Matchroom. So it’s clearly paralell. Some of the stuff people come out with in regards to Joshua’s earnings is widely off the mark too. How can Joshua make 30-40M in the UK ? It’s not possible

Even after all the tax and expenses.
    Joshua-Wilder should take place in Las Vegas.
    US PPV will be available, UK PPV Available, High ticket prices, Vegas bankrollers/investors and high International
    Tv.

As Hearn explained, Joshua-Wilder is bigger GlOBALLY, Joshua-Fury bigger DOMESTICALLY. Why do you think that is ? Because Wilder will bring the lucrative US Market which Hearn and Joshua want a piece of

The facts speak for themselves. Canelo- Chavez made more revenue than Joshua-Klitschko. UK Fans have proven to us in the past, they will buy PPV at 5am in the morning, Mayweather v Mcgregor is currently the UK PPV Record on Sky Box Office and that was at 5am in the morning

Joshua’s main backers are American anyway.
    Sky (American Owned)
    DAZN (American Focused)
    Under Armour
    Dr Dre

Joshua’s endorsements will be encouraging him to fight in the biggest market, US. He’s maxed out in the UK. Joshua-Fury should take place in the UK. But Joshua-Wilder 1 has to be in the US. Joshua’s global profile will rise massively. He could become a major, global star and improve his earnings massively. Instead of just rotting in the Limited UK Market

9. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    The ceiling is indeed higher in the US however let's just use the baseline we now have from Fury v Wilder.

AJ vs Wilder at 300k PPV buys a gate that hasn't even been revealed yet (what does that tell you?) did not generate more revenue than say AJ vs Klitchko in the UK.

A fight in the US was all hypothetical simply as the PPV Buys wasn't guaranteed. 300k buys for Wilder vs Fury would have been around the same number ab AJ v Wilder fight drew. Fighters in there first PPV do not draw huge numbers.

Ya'll were claiming AJ vs Wilder could do 1 mil US buys and Wilder vs Fury would do over 500k. Way out on those predictions.

Now if we use the 300k buys as the baseline and say we are generous and give them 15k at the gate exactly how would that have paid AJ $50 mil and Wilder's purse which at a minimum he wanted more than $15 mil guaranteed. I don't see how that would have been affordable with those numbers.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Guybino and Sugar 88 like this.
  10. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Big Shaq could work that out.

11. Secret Service US

Nov 10, 2018
    Hang on
    Joshua-Klitschko Revenue is
    £19.95*1.5M PPV Buys = £29.9M
    Add in Gate, International TV, Merchandise. I
    would say total of £40M

Wilder-Fury-
    $75*325K US PPV Buys= $24.3M
    Add in higher priced gate, international tv including UK PPV (100K estimate) , site fees
    and merchandise

I would say a total of $35M

Look at how small the difference is between Joshua’s biggest fight and Wilder’s.
    Buisness wise unless you are extremely dyslexic, the logical choice is for Joshua-Wilder 1, to take place in Las Vegas, USA

It’s been proven UK Fans will swarm to Vegas for a big fight involving a Popular UK Fighter. It’s been proven UK Fans will buy PPV at 5am in the morning, Mayweather-Hatton, Mayweather- Pacquiao an Mayweather-Mcgregor all reportedly done +1M Buys on Sky Box Office
    So with that in mind, UK Market is secure, now US Market:

I believe this fight could do 500-700K on US PPV at $65-75. Add in MGM Grand site fees as this fight will go to a bidding war with the Barclays Centre and Staples, add in UK PPV and International TV Revenue who will swarm for this fight in their respective countries and then add in all the UK Fans who will buy merchandise/food/drink

That is nearly $70-75M in Revenue.
    If Joshua-Wilder takes place in the UK, you can halve that, as US PPV will be taken out because it will be afternoon time in the US

Never mind the ripple effect, imagine Joshua knocking out Wilder in Vegas:
    GLOBAL Media Attention he will recieve for the coming days
    The face of Under Armour
    Endorsements flying at him from all angles
    And he could become a regular US PPV Fighter which would exceed any revenue he can make in the UK PPV Market

He could become a Global Star. Heard him say he wants to become the Roger Federer of Boxing. He needs to come to the US for the Wilder fight for it to happen

When you add in all these points, there’s no logical reason for the fight to take place in the UK. Financially- NO
    Commercially- NO
    He dosent owe the UK Fans a damn thing

I believe this fight has all the hallmarks of
    v Hatton (probably a bit less on the US PPV Side). But will they swerve it ?

12. Secret Service US

Nov 10, 2018
    Hearn is from an accountancy family. You really think Joshua is paying full tax ?

I am sure they found loopholes. Netflix/Apple/Amazon all do it. Wouldn’t be suprised if Hearn has a Matchroom LTD Company registred in

If i was Joshua i would certainly be asking Hearn, your an qualified accountant, i’m sure you have friends who are also good with numbers, get that taxbill reduced

13. Secret Service US

Nov 10, 2018
    “Sparta Promotions” wtf is that ?
    More info please

14. Secret Service US

Nov 10, 2018
    What a dumb response
    But UK Fans have to pay £50 to Sky Sports every months. If you want to get all the Matchroom Saturday Fight Nights and the DAZN Shows

Then add in the Six PPV’s Hearn and Sky do every year.....please do the maths you’ll be
    at the astronomical fees you dumbos pay

Showtime is $11 a month. Showtime puts on legit world title fights. Sky serve up Khan v bum and Brook v bum on sky Sports. Before putting rubbish like Haye-Bellew/Whyte-Parker/Whyte
    -Chisora on PPV for a extra £20....

There were only two legit US PPV Events this year, Canelo-GGG and Wilder-Fury

And because of that Mug Eddie Hearn,
    Showtime is having to do more PPV’s to keep their fighters from DAZN. Do you see what Hearn is doing ?
    Armed with false propoganda making boxing more expensive for Americans. It’s a ripple effect started by hearn

You guys are the ones who get ripped off,
    with fake feuds. And you all fall for it because
    your all easy prey for Hearn and Co
    Didn’t Hearn give Chisora a rolex watch to chuck a table?

Hadn’t Haye admitted in the past couple of weeks, he made the feud with Bellew up because he knows UK Fans love fake hate

15. Mr Icaman

Mr Icaman 32-0 WBC Champ, Ring + Lineal HW Champ Full Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Wilder is right I'd imagine ultimately more money could be made in America than the UK..

The only problem with this is there are more then two countries in the world that watch boxing in fact Europe is far more lucrative for heavyweight boxers than the USA and it has been that way for quite some time go ask Vitali and Wlad...

Plus the fact Wilder just did a pretty average ppv number which was no where near the potential "ceiling" he is talking about..

He isn't Mayweather and isn't likely to become him where AJ has become him in the UK..