Why is Wilder always talking about the "UK salary cap"

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by bruce_keyes, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Guybino

Guybino Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 6, 2011
    1. You are clearly someone's alt.

2. https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-most-watched-sports-in-the-UK

3. Hatton was/is the most popular British boxer in recent history, May-Pac was the supposed "biggest fight ever", May-Mac self-explanatory - and I hope you realise you are contradicting yourself by putting those points forward?

4. The basis of effective debate/making an argument is based off evidence, please provide some.

2. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    You have just quoted the reason it takes place in the UK, wilder bs Fury just did 300k buys in US and a $4m gate. That’s $26.5m of revenue. Joshua vs Klitschko did 1.5m buys at £20 and a £6.75m gate which means it’s did $47m of revenue when using £ to $ exchange. There is zero guarantee Wilder vs Joshua sells any more than wilder vs fury. Yet there is the strong possibility the fights sells closer to 2m PPV buys in the UK. Using a Canelo fight as a comparison is miles off as there are no other fighters in the US that’s brings in as much revenue as him. Does the US market have more upside of course it does. Does it make sense for that fight to be in the US then no as if you was Joshua and you lose by round 1 KO would you do that for half the money you would have got in the UK? If the Wilder cx Fury rematch does 1m buys in US then there is a big argument for the fight to be in US. Plus we have the fact Haymon and showtime want to keep PPV going and Dazn and Hearn want to kill it

3. Stnucerasacirema

Stnucerasacirema New Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2018
    You really don't know what your talking about lol

4. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Boxing in the UK is nowhere near the 2nd most popular sport in the UK, probably not even top 5. Is football behind a PPV wall? Does that mean boxing is more popular than football, obviously not. I know nobody who follows boxing, all my mates will watch football, rugby, F1, hell even cricket over boxing.

Just because boxing uses PPV doesn't mean it's more popular. Very few shows are PPV for a start, Joshua is the only fighter who is guaranteed to fight a nobody and it still be PPV, he isn't the norm and his popularity isn't a true reflection of boxing's popularity in the UK more his popularity.

If you look at sporting attendance in the UK boxing isn't top 10. These are people paying to watch sports and paying more than that £19.95 for PPV as well as taking the time out of there day and effort to travel to this venue, that is a better indication of a sports popularity than PPV which isn't a widely used broadcasting platform in other sports.

Wimbledon was the most highly attended sporting event with 473K in 2018, I doubt every boxing event in the UK in 2018 did that many and Wimbledon is just one event for tennis albeit the biggest by far, include the ATP finals when they were at the O2 drew over 250K, Eastbourne which has now grown into a big event on the tour attracting many top players and many fans to watch them.

F1 drew 321K in 2017 at silverstone, even horse racing with Ascot drew 294K in 2017, the British golf Open drew 235K in 2017.

Joshua's biggest fights don't even crack the top 10 in regards to sporting attendance, not even close.

If you look at overall sporting attendance Football, F1, Rugby, Horse racing, Cricket, tennis and golf all have higher attendances than boxing.

It's Ovah likes this.
  5. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Your not factoring exchange rate difference between £ and $. £19.95 is about $25.90 or at least it was until yesterday when the £ took a hit due to Brexit vote.

Joshua/Wlad did 1.5 mill buys or 1.532 to be more exact.

1.5 mill X $25.90 USD = $39.67 mill USD, that's where I got the $40 mill number from.

Live gate was a reported £8.5 mill or $11 mill USD.

Overseas TV rights I saw one report saying $7 mill USD.

So that's a total revenue of about $57.67 mill USD

But I agree the fight has more potential earnings revenue in the US despite the disparity in both their earnings. Wilder may not be a star in the US, neither is Joshua but if Fury/Wilder can do 325K being so poorly put together then I can't see how Joshua/Wilder in the US doesn't do more money, especially in Vegas with high rollers generating a much bigger live gate than any stadium in the UK could do.

But Hearn and Joshua's reluctance to fight in the US is more to do with having home town advantage more than financial incentives, especially after they watched Fury get robbed. If Wilder want's Joshua in the US he's going to have to come up with a stupid sum of money because they won't risk being robbed for anything other than far more than the $50 mill they already rejected.

6. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Cause Hearn and Joshua are continually trying to screw him

7. Tazz

Tazz Member Full Member

Dec 24, 2009
    It's just one of the companies that come up if you search for Anthony Joshua on Companies House. From the name, it seemed the obvious choice for his boxing purses to go to.

8. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I'm sorry, you make some interesting points but this one is, to put it kindly, ill-informed... Boxing doesn't even merit a mention on the menu of the biggest sports website in the UK: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport In fact it's unusual to see a boxing story above the fold. This is at a time when it's doing better than it has in probably 20 years.

9. Yatezy

Yatezy Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Just gonna pop this here about UK sports.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/686971/highest-attended-types-of-sport-in-the-uk/

Notice boxing is not one of them. Yes it is only attendances but a lot of these sports also have dedicated channels that are popular. Stop with the rubbish that boxing is number 2 because we turn out in droves to watch Joshua.

We like big events. Most of the time it doesn't matter on the sport.

10. Secret Service US

Secret Service US New Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2018
    I agree with everything you said, but Hearn has being going on about how Joshua will knock Wilder out cold. And to be honest, i FULLY AGREE and see it happening.

It’s not a risk for Joshua to fight in Vegas, because it won’t even reach the scorecards. Joshua will clean Wilder out within six rounds.

Never mind the fact Hearn has done a good amount of shows in the US now, so is much more familiar about the differences which he could relay back to Joshua’s team. Hearn isn’t stupid, i’m sure he’s got a couple of his own preferred judges for this fight to warn off the threat of a scorecard fix if Joshua-Wilder does go to points

11. Secret Service US

Nov 10, 2018
    What does the name imply ?
    From what’ve just seen on companies house, it’s Run by
    a women called “louise”. I thought Joshua would use one of his own brands such as “AJ Bxing” or “AJ Promotions” given he’s got Buatsi and Okolie under his wing.

I also though this type of stuff is right under Hearn’s Street

12. Tazz

Tazz Member Full Member

Dec 24, 2009
    I think you're confusing a brand name with a company. I can't see anyone called Louise involved in any of the companies that AJ has listed on Companies House. Either way, it looks like he has a separate companies for marketing, merchandise, management, and property investment as well.

13. Secret Service US

Nov 10, 2018
    Just checked it again, yeah i found a couple of filings under Joshua’s name. There’s no real filing history though. Latest Assets report is under 5K.

I don’t understand why AJ has all these Companies, there’s dosent seem to be much action going on ?

14. LordSouness

LordSouness Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 15, 2014
    The only way Hearn can argue that it doesn't make more money in the US is to admit Joshua is not a global PPV star - which he is not. He is moderately big outside of the UK. Not massively more famous to casuals outside the UK than Tyson Fury. The fight does not make enough money in the US to justify the fight being there - otherwise the fight would be there and it won't. It's that simple.

Joshua v Wilder IS bigger globally than Fury v Wilder. That doesn't mean Joshua v Wilder is bigger in the US than in the UK.

Canelo v Chavez Jr sold over 1m buys in the US - and the fighters in that fight made less, individually ($18m for Canelo $7m for Chavez Jr), and in total, than Joshua v Wlad (£15m each - $19m). Joshua v Wilder would not do half as many buys in the US as the Canelo fight you reference.

15. Secret Service US

Nov 10, 2018
    I didn’t say Joshua-Wilder is bigger in the US, i said it makes more revenue in the US. You have a extra
    revenue source of US PPV if this fight takes place in the US, why not use it ?

If Joshua however wants to stay in the UK for the rest of his career it’s his choice. But all this bollocks of him fighting in Nigeria/USA/Dubai needs to stop from Hearn if he’s not serious. Joshua v Wilder is the only true AJ fight which USA would be intrested in. It’s upto Hearn and co whether they want to try out the US Market