why isnt calzaghe kessler on itv?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Nawfal, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Nawfal

Nawfal Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    ffs i thought fw signed a deal with itv.

what happened?

2. Big Ears

Big Ears Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2005
    He has deals with both ITV and Setanta .

HBO didn't seem too intertested at first , Frank needed someone that could come up with the money for the megafight to go ahead withor without US tv .
    Setanta were willing to put up the cash and ITV weren't .

HBO decide they were just about interested after all , the time of the fight gets set to 01:30 to suit US tv viewers(seems like a compromise of a time as normally it has to go to even earlier in the morning than that) .

So the reason it is being shown on Setanta:
    1.Setanta wanted the fight enough to put the money up .
    2.ITV really only care about Amir Khan anymore , you will never see a Khan bill on Setanta but watch the amount of bills on ITV without Khan declining vastly .

ITV seem to only want to show Khan as they know he's guaranteed to get viewers more so than any other Warren fighter .

3. BaronBrad

BaronBrad Member Full Member

Nov 21, 2005
    I don't think ITV will be showing any boxing which does not involve Khan. Any other Warren card will be on Sentanta or not at all.

It's a shame really because it is preventing Khan from fighting on the biggest cards and maybe getting on HBO PPV.

It is a shame that we will not be able to watch it. Hopefully we will be able to d/l it in a week or two.

4. GazOC

GazOC Guest Star for Team Taff Full Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I don't see it like that. This way Khan gets valuable exposure on terrestrial TV and at this stage in his carrer thats better than fighting on big HBO cards in front of an empty crowd as a warm up act.

Warren and Khan have stuck with terrestrial TV for a good reason.

5. _J_G_

_J_G_ Member Full Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Ill be watching it via a stream i think begrudge paying for more sports channels.

6. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007
    I think its the ITV deal that is part of the reason Khan has had to step up his level of opponents - more so than Warren.

There was rumours that ITV wasn't always happy with Khan's opposition. Its interesting that after the Steffy Bull fight which was widely criticised, Khan was put in with Limond, then Lawton (although a let down) and now Earl.

I don't think Warren would have chosen this route if it was just down to him. Obviously Khan is also in a hurry but I think its the TV deal that is now dictating the pace to a large degree.

7. SevenSamurai

SevenSamurai 3 year ESB vet. Full Member

Aug 18, 2005
    If you got a problem with it only being on setanta, why not just subscribe?:huh

8. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Because it is not a big enough fight to justify the cost.;)

9. TAM83

TAM83 Active Member Full Member

Nov 6, 2006
    It only costs a fiver a month just now, that'll also get you the Mosley vs Cotto fight

That's value in my opinion anyway.

10. TBooze

Oct 22, 2006
    No, I pay £100 for SKY, another fiver for German football does not cut it.

11. GazOC

GazOC Guest Star for Team Taff Full Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I'd have thought if you're daft enough to pay Sky £100 then another fiver to watch a couple of big fights a month is chickenfeed?;)

12. TBooze

Oct 22, 2006
    Has to be a point where you say no... Kettering Vs Boston United, no thanks;)