Why isn't John L Sullivan ranked above Ali?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by billyb71, Jul 11, 2022.

1. Austinboxing

Austinboxing British Boxing fan Full Member

Jul 8, 2021
    Being fat can make you strong and Ruiz was still fit and well conditioned. Louis however would be a light heavyweight now a days and even as a light heavyweight he still looks weaker and smaller than guys like Bivol.

2. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Now I'm convinced you are just a troll.

Journeyman92 likes this.
  3. Austinboxing

Jul 8, 2021
    Brooooooooooo. Ok I’m not gonna have this conversation anymore cause you guys aren’t listen to my points. Louis isn’t as athletic or strong as modern fighters which is why I think he wouldn’t be as good now a days. How is that trolling? Louis is a great fighter no doubt but head to head in think he’s too old fashioned.

4. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    He's less athletic than Ruiz? Seriously? You're embarassing yourself here.

cross_trainer likes this.
  5. Austinboxing

Jul 8, 2021
    I didn’t say Ruiz I said Bivol. Joshua had an off night with Ruiz as he proved in the rematch. All I said was Ruiz was very fit and could go the full 12 rounds. Anyway as I said I’m getting fed up with this conversation. Have a good day.

6. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    Louis is way too big to fight at LHW, even with modern draining methods. Louis is way more athletic than 95% of the active boxers at world level around his size or bigger. He was elite athlete and on top of that, he was more skilled than bums Joshua faced in his career.

7. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    When will you reach your final form and join the forum as a real poster? Whoever’s alt you are.

cross_trainer likes this.
  8. META5

META5 Active Member Full Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Any man over 180 ish lbs can knock out any other man with the right punching technique, natural power, speed and surprise factor.

Joe Louis is an elite puncher in terms of punch mechanics. His actual boxing skill gets downplayed. He threw a strong, quick jab - yes could paw with it at times but like Lennox, used his jab in multiple ways.

There's things that Louis did with his punching, his off centre head placement, his jab, parry of the return jab and then follow up jab, the explosion of his right cross and straight right, old school moves like guard manipulation with intentionally thrown jabs or hooks to clear a path for his knockout right hand - many fighters today wouldn't have the skillset to deal with.

I also think it's a mistake to compare Louis with this supposed better modern fighter as if you take a man with his skillset and throw him in the modern era, with the benefits of sports science, greater access to nutrition, functional training and monitoring, he would arguably be more devastating, not less.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  9. Austinboxing

Jul 8, 2021
    Bro look at my posting history. I’m not an alt! I’ve been here longer than you.

10. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Goofy question. Ali wouldn't become a gluttonous alcoholic focusing primarily on power in his training and Sullivan wouldn't be focused on speed skipping rope and running. They have completely different fighting styles and diets.

BoB Box and cross_trainer like this.
  11. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    In a street fight, I have Sullivan ranked waaaaayyy ahead of Ali.

BoB Box likes this.
  12. ikrasevic

ikrasevic For the honorable cross and the golden freedom Full Member

Nov 3, 2021
    Because the score is not the only measure of success, and the legacy of a boxer.
    If score were the main and only consideration, then Andre Ward, Rocky Marciano, Joe Calzaghe (and other undefeated professional boxers) would be above Sugar Ray Robinson, which is not the case.

13. Fourth_Horseman

Fourth_Horseman Member Full Member

May 12, 2022
    Journeyman92 likes this.
  14. BoB Box

BoB Box Rollin with the punches Full Member

Jun 13, 2022
    It is a goofy question. Im guessing you didn't see my follow-up reply saying nevermind its a ridiculous question , dont answer that. Lol

15. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    If we're rating purely on historical and social significance, Sullivan can indeed rival Ali. He defined what it means to be heavyweight champion; heck, he forced the permanent use of gloves through. We're all living in the House That John Built.