Why isn't the counter left hook thrown more against the right hand in boxing?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by klion22, Jun 27, 2020.

1. klion22

klion22 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 4, 2007
    I've been watching boxing since like 2005 but never boxed. So i know i am missing a ton and the answer might be obvious.

We know the check hook is used when a fighter is coming in at a close distance. It's a nice, compact shot.

But what about a counter left hook to counter a right hand being thrown from DISTANCE? Defensively, you would still be good as your head would still be at distance. Seems like a shot that can be very effective if continually PRACTICED over and over again. It would be a placement shot.

Am i missing something? Can someone explain?

2. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    This is a short answer, hope it is helpful. Most good boxers don't throw a right hand from reaching distance because they are aware that if the punch misses they'll be off balance and vulnerable to the hook. Fighters are taught early that they shouldn't "reach" and if they want to use the right and the opponent is at distance they should move forward first. That is what is meant when someone mentions keeping the feet underneath. The hook is often used against the right hand when the fighter rolls or slips the right hand and counters with the hook.

3. DrederickTatum

DrederickTatum We really outchere. Full Member

Mar 20, 2020
    Better to angle off with a jab, or roll and step in with a short right.

Throwing a check hook at range is a low percentage move, and might put you off balance, and leave you open to counter if you miss.
    Better to do the same thing, but with a jab, so you can have a look at what's open, whilst keeping balance and posture.

4. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    This content is protected

5. ertwin

ertwin Active Member Full Member

Aug 2, 2016
    Short beats round. In the amateurs a lot of guys do what you are saying. I do it a lot cause me and my opponents suck, but if I would try that against a somewhat decent pro he would just crash through my hook ala froch groves 2.