Why Prime Mike Tyson beats a 70s George Foreman

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mike foreman, Sep 11, 2017.

1. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    The only troll here is you

2. moneytheman12

moneytheman12 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 4, 2021
    Didnt you say you pick Louis to beat lennox that's alot of advanced skills years later developed even if we go to 70s its nobody there in hw who was a big name who was skilled at defense joe could beat looks like your the troll nobody who wasnt would think that was possible with Joe's skillset so yea lots of trolls here who are crazy to

joe would have to for a fact upgrade his skills and style for fighting to have a chance for lennox or any of the 70s big name boxers like I said TROLL

any real boxing fan who can see good knows he needs to upgrade all of those names in his era would need to cause they all would get destroyed if they came in the way they did they did back then

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    White Bomber likes this.
  3. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    lol

4. Sweetfiend

Sweetfiend New Member Full Member

Mar 11, 2021
    1.So let me get this straight, you believe that Foreman would fight Tyson the same way he would fight Ali? What makes you think that? Why would you think that? It is far more likely that Foreman would fight Tyson like he fought Frazier, a fighter with a similar albeit different style. You say that Foreman likes to open himself up to punches and counter, and while this is true to some extent, it was really only capitalised on by boxers such as Jimmy Young and Ali. Out-boxers, not the style of fighter Tyson is hence, he would not be able to take advantage of this weakness especially when you factor in the height difference.

2.Foreman had his hands in a sort of pawing position. Outstretched and extended. I’m assuming you know of Sandy Saddler? Quite possibly the hardest featherweight puncher. He and Foreman had similar styles. They were experts at controlling their opponents movements, and enjoyed a great advantage over fighters who had to swarm and bullrush their way in due to the nature of their guard which grants them great control over their opponent; pushing and shoving them into punches like uppercuts.

Yes, Tyson does have greater hand speed, but this won’t matter much against Foreman, whom Joe Louis himself said cut off the ring better than he did. Indeed, Foreman is quite possibly the best at cutting off the ring at least in the Heavyweight division. Cutting angles would be a very difficult task for Mike to accomplish. While you cite the second Frazier match, I fail to see how that matters; Foreman still demolished Frazier, and there was nothing he could do about it, even in the first match where Frazier was, as you imply, more of a fresh fighter.

3.I don’t think it will take just a few punches to take out Mike. A few rounds more likely. And yes, knocking out the likes of Frazier, Roman and Norton and Lyle and TKOing Chuvalo absolutely does mean Foreman has the capacity to knockout Tyson if the correct punch hits, which when considering my earlier point, is more than likely to happen. No one is saying that Tyson is featherfisted, that is only a perceived slight on your end because it truly seems you are a Tyson fanboy. If you’re going to make a claim that Foreman was not one of the hardest punchers in the heavyweight division, back it up with facts. You want film? Watch all of Foreman’s fights. He brutalised men in the ring and beat their souls. Your next assertion that Tyson has only been knocked out by fighters who punched in combinations is completely ignoring the fact that Foreman did the same and also, once again, literally pushed fighters into his punches. Also, you do know that Ali is still the fastest fighter on film? Who calculated his speed? Jimmy Jacobs, Mike Tyson’s co-manager who owned the world’s largest collection of fight films, said that on film tests with a synchroniser Ali’s jab was faster than that of Sugar Ray Robinson, or any middleweight, welterweight, or lightweight, he could measure.
    Jacobs contended that Ali was not only the fastest heavyweight, but also the fastest fighter he ever saw, and was able to measure, on film. (that includes Patterson and Tyson)! Also, do you not think Ron Lyle was a hard puncher? He was a beast, there is no shame in taking hard hits from him and getting back up to knock him out. This is just further proof of Foreman’s own chin and heart. You played yourself here.
    4. Again, I addressed this before. Foreman absolutely does have heart. Your whole fourth point is literally based on his fight against Ali, which was won by cunning, although the absolute intense heat in Zaire also helped. Nothing you say here is substantiated at all. You believe that Tyson would do this or do that, yet by your own logic, you say there is nothing we can point to that historically that would mean Mike would be in early trouble even though we can. The fights with Frazier. Yes, no matter how much you ***** and moan about how Frazier and Tyson had different styles, the fact of the matter is is that they were similar enough that Foreman would be able to handle it. While Frazier was a swarmer who fought on the inside, Mike was a boxer-puncher but still needed to get into the mid-range in order to land his combination. At this range, Foreman as I have explained above, would be able to control Mike and land his own punches, just like he did with Frazier. So yes, we do have historical precedent for an early stoppage against Mike.

5. Strength. Foreman was simply stronger than Mike. We are talking about a person who sparred with Sonny Liston while just learning the trade. Logically, he grew stronger afterwards and pulled jeeps uphill as part of his training.

6. Mike Tyson refused to fight George Foreman in the 90s. Cus D’Amato and Mike had watched film of Frazier trying to get in range to hit George, and the terrible beating he took, Cus told Mike no short fighter (like him) who had to come to Foreman to hit him could beat him; Mike knew all this, and more, as Frank Lotierzo’s story about Tyson refusing a Foreman fight made clear.

Frank Lotierzo, who wrote the story, is one of boxing's most respected journalists. Frank Lotierzo is a staff writer for NY Fights. Over the years, his work has appeared in The Sweet Science, Boxing Illustrated, Fight Game, and Boxing Scene. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, he was an amateur boxer based out of Philadelphia and trained by George Benton. He is a member of the International Boxing research Organization. He has also worked on ESPN radio. He has never been accused, in any way, by anyone, of fabricating or manufacturing a story.

"There were a couple of times, serious negotiations were going on with the Mike Tyson fight. Mike Tyson just didn’t want to fight me." -George Foreman

Credit to John McGlothlin for point 6.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2021
  5. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Your clueless...so how about you just dont respond to my posts. Your one of these guys that comes along who thinks they know everything there is to know and anybody who doesnt see things like you do is a problem so just move on I got no time for you or people that act like you.

6. moneytheman12

Feb 4, 2021
    thinks they know everything or can see good from video that is available and it shows like I said to much of a jump in skills over many years it's nothing made up there thats fact like I said joe would have to upgrade he wouldnt be able to come in with the same skills and style he had back then he would get destroyed would never make it to fight lennox he would lose to somebody else in a real bad way

saying im clueless a person who was clueless wouldnt say facts from video seems like your clueless and crazy

7. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    This has to be currently the most entertaining person on here lol.

8. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Literally goes out of his way to dig up old threads, then immediately becomes rude, hostile, and acts Iike a know it all. We have to get a new one every couple of months for some reason. :lol:

9. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Ignore Button Fever. There are more of us.

10. moneytheman12

Feb 4, 2021
    another legend troll who is crazy just like that jan and rules legends for being crazy and trolling been on here for years with the bull
    so even though I said I dont know it all your acting blind to me saying that and saying I go off of video your blind to me saying that to

where was I rude at oh you mean cause I dont talk you crazy trolls the same as others did in the past with breakdowns without insults calling you all what you act like

in the past people would respond to you crazy trolls with breakdowns and would say light insults like see or it's no way I wont baby you crazy trolls

and I dont go out my way Its no time limit on when a person can respond to a page no matter if it's a forum or YouTube dummy

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  11. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    This content is protected

Sangria likes this.
  12. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Try to learn how to punctuate please.

13. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

Stone cold facts: the best is #6,,,Tyson DID have his chance at George ,an old George and refused because he knew what would happen. I'll wager Tyson saw the David Letterman interview with Foreman where Foreman said the reason he came back was Mike Tyson,,,George said " I promise you I'll do the same thing to Tyson, no more than 1 or 2 rounds"

14. moneytheman12

Feb 4, 2021
    never thought Its a choice not something thats not known already so no I dont have to learn see how you shouldnt say dumb quotes thinking they make sense
    the same way I dont use captial letters you never thought that was a choice ether huh just think I dont know how

try to learn to stop saying dumb quotes others say can you do that troll legend

you can talk that way I dont want to try to convince somebody else to talk how you want them to troll legend

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  15. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    He's filled the void created by Serb's departure :lol: