Why so little mention of the fact that Curry quit against Honeygan ..?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by he grant, Oct 9, 2020.

1. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    At the time Donald Curry fought Llyod Honeygan he was not only the undefeated , undisputed welterweight champion of the world but he was a television superstar being hailed as the greatest pound for pound fighter in the world .. the future was his .. his crushing, title unifying victory over McCrory made him as close to a superstar as there was post Leonard .. then he fought Honeygan in an under publized fight few even knew was scheduled , began to get a beating but nothing super dramatic and he flat out quit in his corner ... it's almost glossed over and rarely mentioned ... the man was the number one pound for fighter in the world , people were saying Ray Leonard would have no short against him in a comeback and against an near unknown in a fight where he was losing but not by any significant margin he simply folded up his tent .. can someone explain this to me ?

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  2. sweetsci

sweetsci Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    In my case, I forgot. I was a pretty big Curry fan when he was champ. I went into the Navy in September 85 and was really looking forward to the McCrory unification match. I was "on duty" that night and frustrated that nobody else had any interest in the Curry-McCrory fight. All TVs were tuned to Miami Vice. Several months later I was sent to Norfolk, to "sea", so I was unable to watch the Honeyghan fight. When I heard the result I was totally shocked. I'm not sure I've ever seen the fight, to be honest.

3. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Could’ve been a fix

4. Bujia

Bujia Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    It was 30 some odd years ago.

5. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Curry was supposedly il prepared for that match

6. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    He clearly wasn't thinking. All he had to do was quit DURING the round like Duran, which apparently you're lionized for.

7. joebeadg

joebeadg Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2005
    wasn't he sick for that fight? He got an asskicking, thats for sure

8. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    He was said to have weight issues for the fight and in fairness he didn’t look right.They probably thought though it would be a routine defence as he was destroying everything they were putting in
    front of him at the time.
    The trouble was he was fighting a version of Honeyghan which would be the best he’d ever be.
    Honeyghan was totally focused and disciplined that night and very sharp.
    Curry would need to have been at his very best to win but Honeyghan just gave him a sustained beating and they pulled him out.
    As a non participant I find it hard to accuse a fighter of quitting, his corner were obviously acting in their fighters best interests as it wasn’t going to get any better.

9. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Tbh it's probably for the best. Don was a pretty tough guy and Honeyghan wasn't gonna let up. Could've been brutal after such a weight drain.

10. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
  11. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I don't think the quitting was significant as much as once Honeyghan started to hit him he didn't have a plan B which was surprising for an elite who was compared to Leonard. Leonard or Hearns would have tried another tactic, but Donald as fast as his hands were and the great counterpuncher he was couldn't adjust and Honeyghan kept nailing him. And he knew the same was coming so he shook his head at Gorman after round 6 and that was that. He was a very good fighter, but I think his limitations came out with Honeyghan more than with McCallum, yet even with Mike he really didn't know what to do after Mike started to take over, which is not the usual take on McCallum vs. Curry.

Also to add to this Curry had that excuse about the weight. Many people assumed that was the problem, and didn't think Honeyghan who was something like 26-0 was the problem. Lloyd was good and I saw his record at the time and the way he took care of guys and it was obvious he was no push over. Decent handspeed and underrated power.

12. he grant

Jul 15, 2008
    Dude you crack me up sometimes. :)

13. he grant

Jul 15, 2008
    No, for quiting at the top of his game , at the height of his career ... yes he was getting beat but he simply quit.

14. he grant

Jul 15, 2008
    Duran received horrific worldwide ridicule from quitting most of all in Panama where he had to flee the country for his own safety ... it wasn't until the Moore fight that he was able to properly show his face ..

15. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    True enough, but look at how it's excused now by so many on these boards. Time and idol worship have transformed that act of.......well, almost treason into some badge of honor, the ultimate middle finger against Leonard I guess, that is somehow molded into a weird, parallel-universe pyrrhic victory. That does happen.

George Crowcroft and JohnThomas1 like this.