Why so little mention of the fact that Curry quit against Honeygan ..?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by he grant, Oct 9, 2020.

1. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Curry took a lot more punishment than Duran in a very one sided fight. Curry was having no success at all. I've seen quite a few people thrust forward that No Mas was relatively close at the time Duran quit as if it's a positive thing. Duran was in far better physical shape than Curry was (at the time of the stoppage) and hadn't taken much punishment to speak off.

The other big thing was Duran was guaranteed $8mil (Curry $300 000). People were REALLY irked by the fact that Duran simply quit with next to no punishment when he was getting this sort of money.

The public had great expectations after their brilliant first fight. It was a huge event. This further disappointed a very excited public.

Panama was pretty fickle. Duran had been nothing but great for them for almost a decade in compiling a 72-1 record while winning and then defending the lightweight title for around 6 years. He'd also just beaten Leonard in an historic achievement.

I'm reminded of Indian cricket fans who can turn on their national team (or individual players) on a whim. After an important loss suddenly effigies/posters of Kohli and the likes are being burned in the streets and some players need security (army) beefed up around their own house. The world stops for these followers and it goes way beyond simple sport for a time.

mark ant likes this.
  2. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Curry was dead at Welterweight. He was training in a rubber sweat suit for the Colin Jones fight and being weighed before and after every session.
    Honeyghan wasn't rated at all in the States. Mickey Duff blind sided everyone by making out that Lloyd was a sacrifice.
    Fair play to Dave Gorman for pulling Curry out. Don was in very bad shape.

3. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    I've never seen his quitting as any badge of honor .. if anything temporary insanity ..

4. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I am glad to read this!

5. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Donald should never have been in the ring at all that night > He had the flu couldnt train properly & had to sweat weight off he was weak as a kitten. Both Dave Gorman & Paul Reyes wanted to pull him out but Akhbar Muhammad insisted he fought. Honeyghan would never give him a return. As for Saccharin Ray Leonard he stabbed Don in the back too when he wormed his way into fighting Hagler. I wonder why Leonard never visits Texas since LOL

Titan1 and Jamal Perkins like this.
  6. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Weight drain. Should have moved up to 154 after the McCrory fight. Never fought at 147 again.

7. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Yes, The Cobra taught Moorer everything he knew on how to fix fight as MM prepared for Foreman...

8. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    This

9. Clinton

Jan 22, 2009
    You should watch the documentary where Leonard goes to Panama so DURAN could get closure over no mas. It is a ****ing joke. There is no excuse for Duran quitting in that fight. None. He deserves all the **** he gets for doing so. But, as great as he was, Leonard is an insecure ******* and proves it in that doc. See for yourself.

10. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    That doc had some weird feel moments for sure ..

Clinton likes this.
  11. Clinton

Jan 22, 2009
    Shocking

12. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004

Could be more than we know. Pay attention to some of those rumors.

13. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Curry got hurt by good shots by Honeyghan but that isn`t the same as being hit by a banger like Foreman when you`ve been wobbled by a light heavy like Frankie Swindell.

14. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Curry has brain issues now.

15. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    I hope thats not true . I havent seen Don since around 2010 when I left Ft Worth Tx. He was fine then

George Crowcroft and mark ant like this.