Why so many so call boxers here ask questions they should be asking their coach

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by puertorricane, Jan 24, 2012.

1. GPater11093

GPater11093 Barry Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Yeh but they fell out at some point and he brought someone else in, cant remember who.

He also worked with Cus D'Amato

2. Juxhin

Juxhin Guest

My friend, lemme tell you something. Im not gonna ask some critical advice regarding my career to some newcomer. I ask good advice from smart people (brown being one of them). Use some common sense

3. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    First time in a good while i've been called smart but thanks

4. boxon123

boxon123 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 28, 2004
    Have you not noticed there is very little amounts of common sense on this site? Would you like to answer my question? Have you gone to your trainer and told him you don't believe in him? Do you have a trainer? I have noticed Mr Bomber has improved in what he has done by posting on here but it has helped with his coaching more than taught anyone here.

5. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    I think we swap tips and ideas that's all

6. LongJab

LongJab Active Member Full Member

Mar 22, 2011
    OP: I do agree with you. I think the same way sometimes. I think the reason is this: many of the so-called "fighters" or "boxers" do not have coaches. The hit a heavy bag in their basement, or spar with their buddies in the backyard and then call themselves a fighter. Or they might attend a boxing gym, but they don't compete. So in essence they don't have a coach, they don't compete, but yet they want to call themselves "boxers" or "fighters".

If you compete, I agree, you trainer is where you learn not the internet. For example, someone might give you a tip about your stance or throwing a punch, but unless you are physically there to observe them, that person might not have the build, style or the physical qualities to pull off what is suggesed. Think of how many stupid threads are started by newbies about using the Mayweather "Philly Shell". It's hilarious. A novice trying to pull that style off will only get hurt!

But I do agree with asking general questions and learning from others. I have found useful tips, training ideas and information myself from others on forums like this. But I definitly understand you point.

7. lefty

lefty Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Read Wayneflints and Scraps posts and tell me you can't learn anything here about boxing technique, of course you can. I've trained with a national team coach and he has nothing on the level of understanding of body mechanics and technique that these guys have.
    Sometimes to improve your game you have to think about new things and try new things to see how they feel, using incorrect technique can help you understand how your body works and doesn't work. Most coaches are never going to tell you to do something technically incorrect just to see how it feels, they don't have the time for that. So reading these forums and trying out different things with positioning can help. Of course you need some extrinsic feedback in case you're doing something basic wrong and you don't realise it but real learning and growth is intrinsic and I think reading advice encourages that.

8. puertorricane

puertorricane Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 25, 2010
    he didnt left his father at the end of his career and he did it because he didnt like training and his father was too strict but he didnt leave him to try and learn from better trainers because he was never as good as what he was with this father

:hat

9. Juxhin

Juxhin Guest

Exactly what i mean

Wait what? Asking for tips & ideas means i don't believe in my trainer? Example, my trainer is a professional Heavyweight fighter and im a welterweight. Yes he will know what to teach me but has never been in such a field of boxing and might pick off ideas here another example, asking people good welterweight fighters to watch. How the hell does that mean i don't trust my trainer? Sorry mate but your going around the bush here. This forum has some sort of "reputation" especially when it comes to intelligent posters, Brown, Virus, Johnboy, Scrap, lefty etc. etc. and after they give their ideas especially regarding training and nutrients i research on the net about the information to confirm it and then decide whether i should follow it or not. Just because people say what you should do doesn't mean you really have to do it. Infact when people ask certain question like injuries people here tell them not to come on a forum and ask what to do because they don't know their exact situation.

10. Ylem

Ylem Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 3, 2009
    calling virus intelligent? LOL

yous funny man

i bet you cant go through his posts and pick out 10 sequential posts that dont involve trolling or an attempt to troll.

11. Juxhin

Juxhin Guest

I don't know whats your experience with him but whatever he said to me he managed to back up. I would think what hes saying is stupid until i did whole pages of research on the subject and on the bottom line he was 99% right .. i used to find him annoying but hell if he tries he knows just what to say and is very straight forward.

12. SteveThePirate1

SteveThePirate1 New Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Some people just want to ask someone else to get the same answer and if they don't get the same answer, they would like to discuss why one person does it one way. I do that and then I go back to my coach with my research and talk to him about that. He encourages it. It means you care and want to know what other people are doing, why they are doing it, and how to counter it or even emulate it....

13. StillWill

StillWill Dr. Eisenfaust Full Member

Jul 12, 2010
    i agree with the op

the only way to learn to box is to spar spar spar spar and spar some more, fight, go over new stuff with trainer and spar spar spar spar fight etc etc

iron sharpens iron and to get better not only is it critical to have a good trainer but maybe more importantly good sparring partners