Why The Hate for Canelo

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by bigtime-skills, Nov 10, 2019.

1. bigtime-skills

bigtime-skills Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Canelo seized an opportunity to make History and did so...
    He's Pound 4 Pound in a sense that he SHOULD be able to pick and Choose the best fights that makes sense FOR HIM between 160 and 175, preferably @168.
    In the same sense I never criticized Roy Jones for not fighting Lennox Lewis after beating John Ruiz...
    I didn't think Floyd and Pacquiao needed to stretch themselves past 147lbs, as they were Smaller Men...

Colonel Sanders likes this.
  2. bigtime-skills

bigtime-skills Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 20, 2007
    He fought the 2 best Middleweights for 36 rounds, then picked up Belts at 168 and 175.. No Shame

acie2g and ndthentherewasx like this.
  3. Boon

Boon Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 2, 2015
    Roy Jones Jr. only went to heavyweight to capture a belt and then moved straight back down.

I don't think anyone is hating or disparaging Canelo for not fighting Beterbiev at light-heavyweight. It is also too soon, dare I say, Canelo may well face Beterbiev...

There are however, very legitimate reasons to dislike Canelo and despise what he means not only to the sport of boxing, but also in regards to honesty, integrity, truthfulness, honesty and what it takes to be a real man. Cenelo has a lot of shortcomings.

farai, BCS8, greenhornet and 3 others like this.
  4. dangerousity

dangerousity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Didn’t realise he was hated. I don’t know if questioning his wins is “hate”. I personally saw him winning the 2nd Ggg fight clearly but I can see why some may question it. And a rehydration clause on a shot kovalev does raise questions, still a good win, I think it’s just a pushback from people blowing it out of proportion when he was a strong favourite anyhow.

Angler Andrew likes this.
  5. BUDW

BUDW Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Cheater

OvidsExile likes this.
  6. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    In a way it is good Canelo does not speak English properly. He can pretend to remain ignorant at how many people have caught onto his charade.

farai, Angler Andrew and aaalbert like this.
  7. MorvidusStyle

MorvidusStyle Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Here's how he could have avoided the hate.
    1. Don't duck/age GGG to fight Khan for he MW title.
    2. Don't pretend to 'not be ready for middleweight' to avoid GGG when you blow up higher than MWs.
    3. Don't have a crooked promotion that gives you corrupt cards and a draw when you lost.
    4. Don't pretend you won the first G fight when you lost and everybody in boxing thinks you lost.
    5. Don't roid for the rematch too and get busted for roiding.
    6. Don't criticise G + team for criticising you for getting busted roiding.
    7. Don't pretend you won the 168lb championship when you dehydrated Fielding and when it's not the super title.
    9. Don't go grab Chavez jnr out of a MIA nightclub stint for a cash grab and pretend it's a danger fight.
    10. Don't avoid GGG for a third fight by pretending you've settled the contest with a loss and controversial win, aka don't take your ball and run when you scrape by with a win, at best ageing the already middle-aged fighter even more if the third fight does happen.
    11. Don't pick out Kovalev after a near TKO loss and short recovery time and also apply a hydration clause, then pretend you've conquered 175lbs too.

Or to flip it.
    1. Fight GGG for the MW title straight away and don't roid.
    2. Admit you lost the first fight, have a quick rematch and don't roid.
    3. Gladly fight GGG a third time in reasonable time to settle the series.
    4. Fight a real 168lb champ if you want to claim a title there, no handicap.
    5. Fight Kovalev with proper conditions or Beterbiev/Bivol if you want legit 175lb credibility.

8. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    A-Side FO-Life
    This content is protected

Angler Andrew likes this.
  9. kdyehs

kdyehs Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    I give all the credit to Canelo for his last win but also I think I witnessed the weirdest fight ever. Kovalev looked like a giant, did not use power punches then unexpectedly gets KO in the 11th in a match he was winning on most cards except the official judges (only one had a draw). It was just a weird fight also it was not the Kovalev who fought Yarde, the Kovalev we saw had no punch resistance at all, while in the Yarde fight he recovered from very nasty blows. A very strange fight. Yes Canelo is P4P number 1. I don't feel like sharing that with non-boxing fan though. Canelo did not transcend his sport yet. I don't feel like inviting friends to my home and watch Canelo fight and be like: "wow look how God-like he is in the ring". Canelo is not there yet but yes he is the best fighter in boxing today.

10. From.Russia

From.Russia Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Just after the fight i thought it was a 100% spectacle, but after i rewatched it, i do believe KO was legit, but also think there are 2 possibilities or just combination of those:

1. They told Kovalev not to throw hard punches, so he had to throw just weak jabs and pretend to be a busy fighter who wants to win.
    2. Kovalev doesnt give a **** about boxing and training, got serious legal issues, drinks vodka and was in the ring just for paycheck. That also explains why he was extremely friendly and respectful to canelo, he behave like a ****ing slave.

11. Heavy_Hitter

Heavy_Hitter Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2018
    He did, he was happy to lose

OvidsExile likes this.
  12. iii

iii Boxing Addict Full Member

May 3, 2016
    I think Canelos scam win in GGG 1 was as bad as mayweather vs Castillo 1...
    One reason he ain't popular as its not the first time...there's always something...always!

BCS8 likes this.
  13. Scar

Scar VIP Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Because he beat Golovkin. Simple as that.

14. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    because hes done it all with a few asterisks, like every other legit top fighter before him. its the nature of the game. the fact that this forum is very pro euro, especially eastern euro, accounts for the over the top emotions. he has knocked the dust off 2 of the heros. you can see the inverse opposite on a site that hypes, when it comes to black fighters. go over there and start a thread praising loma, and then face palm at both groups.