Why the hate for Tony Galento????

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Mar 22, 2020.

1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    If you consider David Tua to be good, why not Galento? In fact, you can say that Galento was a type of Tua, a forerunner of Tua as it were. Both had great chins and incredible punching power. They had similar builds and used their left hook as their principle punch. And they had similar styles like it or not.

Sangria likes this.
  2. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
  3. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Very dirty fighter I’m glad Louis punished him

Boxingfan2, TipNom, WAR01 and 4 others like this.
  4. Fury's Love Handles

Fury's Love Handles Mrkoolkevin Full Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Galento was just a crude mauler with poor skills who physically overwhelmed his mostly unimpressive and undersized opponents.

Tua was much, much better technically, far more powerful, had faster hands, and was more durable. He was a much, much better fighter than Galento and would have had no trouble separating him from his senses. Galento lost to a bunch of nobodies and little guys throughout his career. His claim to fame is in momentarily stunning an asleep-at-the-wheel Joe Louis and beating the overrated hype job Lou Nova. He looks awful on film—absolutely atrocious.

5. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    This post is full of bias. I'm convinced you don't like Galento because his fights are in black and white.

6. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Why all this hate for Two Ton Tony? I do think that Joe Louis in his Bum Of The Month Club program may have underestimated Tony's power in this fight. Remember this program of Joe's was during the crisis of The Great Depression. He also felt the ravages of poverty growing up, and boxing was about pride and prestige, not money like today. You would have to be kidding today, fighters are very self centered, and do not care about others, not really. It is about putting on a clown show, they should leave promoting to the promoters.

7. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I have no vested feelings in him one way or the other, be they love or dismay.. It is irrefutable that Tony Galento was a very tough man with a natural inclining
    towards pugilism. His style combined orthodox boxing skills with street fighting and to be honest - he was good at it... On a negative note he was indeed notorious for his dirty tactics of head butting, thumbing men in the eyes, low blows etc. in addition he seemed to make a mockery of training and often boasted of drinking, smoking and eating horrifically prior to a match... In fairness I have to disagree with him being on the same level of a David Tua.. whilst I concur that these men had several similarities, David Tua was more professionally trained, in better shape and an overall better fighter but I suppose opinions will differ.

Conclusion: like him or hate him, Tony was Tony.

8. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Galento DESTROYS the lazy Tua. Stops him.

Precisely.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  9. Fury's Love Handles

Fury's Love Handles Mrkoolkevin Full Member

Feb 22, 2020
  10. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Galento wasn't as gd as Tua, but he was dangerous. People dislike him because he was fat and he fought before 1970s, but he could fight. He actually could box too, but decided to use his strange brawling style. Extremely tough with very good chin and very hard punch.

11. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    the problem is not galento at all, the problem is when you involve his name in some of your stupid comments

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  12. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Well that’s not very nice

TBI likes this.
  13. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    I don't hate Galento. When I watch film of him I see a tough guy that had some skill. He was smart enough to fight in the most effective manner that he could which was to be a mauler/brawler and he had some success with it.

Tua also was smart enough to fight in a style that was most effective for him as well. He truly had a crushing left hook and an iron chin. He certainly was much better when in the 220 range but whether he blew up in weight because he was lazy or simply because of genetics we don't know. I do know some folks that are Samoan and they tend to be thick framed and heavy folks that easily put on weight.

After watching both guys fight I think Galento goes right after him like he always did and eats a left hook and goes to sleep. To me Tua was the much stronger puncher and also had the better chin. He was never stopped and only knocked down once in his career and that was at the tale end of it. All due respect to Galento for his toughness but I don't think he can hurt Tua and I am positive that Tua could hurt him and badly.

14. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    What's wrong with dirty fighters?

15. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    bending the rules or getting away with rough housing is one thing Galento by all accounts was dirty to the extreme. Lou nova nearly lost his eye to him.

mcvey likes this.