Why the hell did jimmy young's management let him fight shavers?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Glass City Cobra, Feb 7, 2019.

1. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Earnie Shavers has always been...to me...one of the most likeable guys in the sport...or any sport.

2. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    I think I like Earnie even more now after reading this!

3. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    Probably because it's not true.

4. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    I
    I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO MEET EARNIE, jOE fFRAZIER & JAKE LA MOTTA AT ANOTHER BLACK TIE.hE WAS A REAL NICE GUY tHEY ALL WERE ACTUALLY

red cobra likes this.
  5. Roughhouse

Roughhouse Active Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Yes to Earnie being a very nice guy. Sent him a DVD copy of a match he reffed in Southwest Championship Wrestling where he ended up kayoing the "heel" Tully Blanchard that he wanted and I got two autographed pics, a DVD of his fights and a handwritten thank you letter.

I'm thinking the opposite on this thread. Why would Earnie's management take a fight with a Philly unknown with a negligible record for what had to be short money and no upside as far as rankings or publicity that couldn't enhance his career? Everything to lose and nothing to gain unless they saw Young as a complete punching bag to just keep Earnie active. I would think Young's management would see this as a golden opportunity- win and you've beaten a ranked contender and jumped into the big pond with a splash.

Pat M likes this.
  6. joebeadg

joebeadg Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Earnie only fought a very few guys with good records up to this point really, like maybe four? And lost to two of them, so I think it was just following the current path. not to put down Earnie, the guy is great, just the way his career flowed, that's al.

7. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Way before my time but how good a prospect could Young have been viewed at that time if he had already been beaten 3 times in his career and I guessing those defeats weren’t exactly against any world beaters? In fact it makes a lotta sense that his managers would throw him in with someone like Shavers. Kinda like sink or swim, a last chance saloon situation to see if Young was really as good as they thought he was or just another overrated bum.

8. Rock0052

Rock0052 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    Rumor has it Oleg Maskaev used a Ouija board and wound up with his management being possessed by those same guys early on in his career.

red cobra and sweetsci like this.