Why was Hamed vs McCullough in the USA?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Chuck Norris, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Both guys are british, so why wasn't it in the UK?

2. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    On a separate note mate, my favourite Chuck Norris fact without a doubt is...

When Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone, he had 3 missed calls from Chuck Norris.

Birmingham and Chuck Norris like this.
  3. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Pocket rocket was based in the USA and had most of his fights there. Hamed was looking for exposure with a view to cracking the US market after the Kelly win.

Chuck Norris likes this.
  4. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    McCullough was a name in the US because of his Irish heritage and HBO wanted Hamed (who was on an HBO contract) to look good by beating up a name opponent. But it backfired quite badly as I recall, Naz acted like a complete dick in the buildup and then looked underwhelming in the fight because of McCullough's chin and heart.

5. Smithson

Smithson Active Member Full Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Yeah hamed boasted how he would knock Wayne out at a certain time of a early round if I recall and he Barely put a dent in him for 12 rounds.

6. Momus

Momus Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    This.

Also, in the late 90s there was still a feeling that in order to make it "big" you needed to perform in the US.

Thankfully, the belief that a win somehow has more intrinsic value if it happens on the other side of the pond, is now less prevalent.