Why was Muhammad Ali so mean to Joe Frazier?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Vsec, May 27, 2011.

1. Vsec

Vsec Active Member Full Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Muhammad is awesome, he always comes across as an amazing person, from standing up for Angelo Dundee against Don King, or his NOI hanger-ons who didn't want a white guy in the group, mingling with fans out in the open, signing autographs for ANYONE, visiting people in the hospital, his acts of charity, this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNuTex1jZB4[/ame]

But when it comes to Joe Frazier, a guy who helped him out during his ban from boxing, he went beyond trash-talk and hyping up a fight. He was just MEAN. I never got why.

2. davidjay

davidjay Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 23, 2009
    It sold tickets.

3. The Pup

The Pup Member Full Member

Apr 3, 2010
    You just opened a can of worms

4. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    He just was, that's all. No seriously, frazier was the biggest threat to Ali in his boxing life...his main rival...so he reacted against him this way...it was the verbal reaction to Frazier outside of the ring that paralleled his physical reaction to Joe inside the ring..it was not necessary for Ali to go beyond his usual banter with Frazier to include such nasty personal affronts..but frazier must have made Ali feel threatened..which justified it no matter how wrongly with Ali.

5. Sean Juan

Sean Juan Boxing Addict Full Member

May 21, 2011
    Because Ali had people whispering in his ear about how black people were supposed to behave and Frazier didn't fit the mold.

6. Swarmer

Swarmer Patrick Full Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Because he was just a competitive dick like that.

7. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Maybe a better, more succinct answer than mine..:good

8. Terror

Terror free smoke Full Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Find something new to talk about.

If you don't know, learn something.

9. Vsec

Vsec Active Member Full Member

Mar 27, 2011

Man please.

You act like someone's forcing you to enter this thread. :lol:

10. Anarchy99

Anarchy99 Babalu will KILL You! Full Member

Feb 2, 2011
    I believe he was afraid of Fraizer. He knew he had a guy who would fight hell and high water and keep coming at him. It worried him and his only defense was to go nuts.

11. Mohak

Mohak RIP Smokin' Joe Full Member

Nov 6, 2005
    People will say tickets or even politics, but it just boils down to that Ali was a ***** at times and one of those times was the run up to fighting Joe.

12. Robbi

Robbi Marvelous Full Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Frazier seemed vulnerable to it. He could have learned a thing or two from Ken Norton and a few others.

Regarding the bad talk between them years ago, Ali was the instigator. However, out all the things said between them both, Frazier has probably said the worst. Saying he gave Ali the Parkinsons, etc. It's almost as if he's happy to give himself the credit for it. I think Joe forgets that a few others might have been responsible, not just him. Shavers, Spinks and Holmes, etc.

Anyway, Frazier was the one who was eating right hands for breakfast all the way through the 14th round. I'm pretty sure if he came out for the 15th, it would have been 'normal service resumed'.

Another thing that I'd like to add. If you look at Frazier on his stool after the 14th round, he was a man who was 'slightly' shaking his head before Futch halted him. His demeanour on the stool was that of a man in distress and not looking like he wanted to continue. And not once did he argue with Futch or show any emotion after Futch asked the ref to stop it.

13. Garrus

Garrus Big Boss 1935-2014 Full Member

Aug 27, 2010

why'd you mention this at all?

14. Phys

Phys Well-Known Member Full Member

May 16, 2011
    At first to sell the fight and to psyche Fraizer out.

Then when Frazier felt insulted, as Ali went too far, he started at times to call him Clay. Which probably further convinced Ali (in his own mind) that Frazier was a tool for the white power structure, and may then have meant some of the things he said.

Hate then spiraled out of control, as it often does in human afffiars.

But note what Ali said about Frazier after winning and surviving Manilla.

"He is great... He is the greatest fighter in the world today after me."

Not Foreman or such.

Edit: I believe he also said that the way Frazier fought that night, in boxing history, only he, Ali, could have beaten him that night.

So tremendous praise actually.

15. MAG1965

MAG1965 VIP Member banned

Dec 1, 2008
    some guys are very competitive and they need the edge, and Ali didn't like Frazier much which was obvious.