Why wasn't Calzaghe given more credit for his wins against RJJ and Hopkins?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by OpinionOfACasual, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    He doesn't get the credit he deserves because he was happy to defend a lightly regarded title for 10 years.

HerolGee likes this.
  2. shanahan14

shanahan14 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jul 5, 2011
    While no one will admit it, 90% of the Calzaghe haters thought Lacy was going to KO him. I remember when that fight was happening, most of the boxing world and public thought Calzaghe would be demolished.

Then he proceeded to dish out one of the worst beatings in boxing history.

3. kieranstapleton

kieranstapleton Original Member banned Full Member

Dec 22, 2013
    Hopkins was a fine win cause despite him being old he was still performing very well, Hopkins went on to be in world title fights for almost a decade after that, he went on to win and unify world titles and beat Pavlik, Pascal, Cloud, Shumenov. Definitely a win Calzaghe should get every credit for.

Staminakills likes this.
  4. kieranstapleton

kieranstapleton Original Member banned Full Member

Dec 22, 2013
    Calzaghe was a true WINNER, amazing fighter.

Staminakills and Clinton like this.
  5. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    The reason why most people thought Lacy would win, is simply because they still didn't know that much about Joe. Even in 2006, he was still relatively unknown outside of Europe. It was just a lack of knowledge. He had a brief contract with Showtime in the early 00's and it produced mixed results. He was injured and got off to a poor start in showings against Starie and Thornberry, before impressing against Sheika and McIntyre. But when Showtime didn't renew his contract, he again went under the radar Stateside.

6. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    And Joe knew it because he admitted it in his autobiography years before he fought Jones.

HerolGee and Loudon like this.
  7. shanahan14

shanahan14 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jul 5, 2011
    I'm not saying the reasoning was poor, just people being upset they were very wrong.

Loudon likes this.
  8. _Frankly

_Frankly Bivolian! banned Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Who was 30? Are you peddling falsehoods again Herol?

9. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    r u failing to read again? obviously yes....for crivens sake, u r replying to a post that says "if u are, say, 30" ie hypothetical by definition. u failed to read it right.

learn 2 read, frankie then try again, until then its only u peddling falsehoods

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  10. GolovKing

GolovKing ESB Since 2006 Full Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Calzaghe was universally recognized as top 3 pound for pound when he retired. He was well respected by those that had opinions worthy of respect.

Ring Magazine Rankings:
    Period Ended June 9, 2008
    POUND-FOR-POUND Top 10
    1.) MANNY PACQUIAO
    2.) JOE CALZAGHE
    3.) JUAN MANUEL MARQUEZ
    4.) BERNARD HOPKINS
    5.) ISRAEL VAZQUEZ
    6.) MIGUEL COTTO
    7.) KELLY PAVLIK
    8.) CRISTIAN MIJARES
    9.) RAFAEL MARQUEZ
    10.) IVAN CALDERON.

11. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    just one thing.
    if they didnt know calzaghe, how can they have been calzaghe haters. it defies definition.

Jackstraw likes this.
  12. Tramell

Tramell Hypocrites Love to Pray & Be Seen. Mathew 6:5 Full Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Great question for a guy your age!
    1. I agree with Joe, the more Hopkins went on to win, the more it legitimized his victory. As a Bhop fan, He was never one to throw a lot of punches,no matter what point in his career, so Joe may have outhustled him prime or not- albeit with his slapping-punches.
    I followed Bernard when he was "the terror" Hopkins LOL! He started out as a SMW, then dropped to MW.-- see if U can find J. Mercado fight. He took it on six hour notice, and he HATED clinching LOL! RJJ caused him to change his game up.

2. I agree with everyone here about RJJ. However, just as JC stayed put in his land, so, too did RJJ. He refused to fight overseas, my take is they're both guilty of wanting home court advantage.

I think time has given Joe some credit over Bhop (again only because of what Bhop did afterwards) and I like Joe's win over Kessler better than Froch. Froch had to earn it, while Cal just outhustled him past 7th round.

13. Bensub

Bensub Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 17, 2015
    Yanks are yanks that's why Calzaghe won't get credit.

kieranstapleton likes this.
  14. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Calslappy NEVER beat Hopkins he got a gift. Why else did he duck a rematch in wales when Hopkins offered it ??

15. The13thRound

The13thRound Boxing Addict Full Member

May 4, 2009
    Because Hopkins and RJJ were way past their best less so hopkins but even so