Whyte promises he will Knock out Povetkin in the rematch.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Dance84, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Povetkin looked borderline shot and if the decline from Hughie to Hunter was significant it was so much more so from Hunter to Whyte. The Hunter fight was a real war and one of the best HW fights I've seen in a long time and Povetkin took a lot of punishment in that fight. You don't see too many 40 y/o involved in wars like that at the end of long hard careers and I'm expecting to see an even more diminished Povetkin next time out whose hand and foot speed and reaction times are even slower, with even worse balance and with less punch resistance. I hope I'm wrong but even the way past prime version of Povetkin who fought AJ and Hughie would beat Whyte ten times out of ten.

2. chatty

chatty Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Its not that crazy. He dropped Povetkin twice, its not like he cant hurt him and hes been KOd, dropped and hurt in most of his recent fights.

Whyte isnt exactly the most fleet of foot fighter either, cant see him going in the run all fight, he might try and shell up behind a jab for longer but tbh I think he prob will just end up in a fight and trying to Ko him.

Obviously we know whats coming back at him and he could end up sparked again but its not the most outrageous notion in the world like some are making out.

3. Pakkuman

Pakkuman I'm not hot. I'm just BIG. banned Full Member

Jun 26, 2019
    This guy's a jerk. His name's not even Dylan. Like, what the hell is a Dillian? Is this slow ass turd a descendant of the pickle gods?

:ohno

4. Vegan Beast

Vegan Beast Grandpappy Ortiz Full Member

Aug 19, 2020
    Whyte has two risky options -

1. Sit back and jab Povetkin all night, knowing that Povetkin will struggle with it, and try to cream an UD victory from it. But the risk in this is his defence has clear flaws, and relying on defence and jab is basically did this most of the fight and still got KO'd. And also this is not his strength. Whyte is a decent boxer, but his strength has always been his power.

2. He comes forward and bullies Povetkin like he did Parker and just go for it, and hammer Povetkin. This could lead to him knocking Povetkin out which we know could definitely be done, but it also makes Whyte even more vulnerable despite making use of his strengths.

5. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Whyte will probably box a really cagey and dirty fight to ensure he nabs a decision. Povetkin is going to be even slower in the rematch, and I can't see Whyte falling for the same move again. If he does he's the world's biggest numpty, but I think he'll probably just put on a stinker.

6. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    I'm hoping that this fight marks the beginning of a "2nd decline" and that he will more or less retain the same amount of ability for another year or two. Instead of getting worse and worse in a short period of time.

Serge likes this.
  7. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    I think that's what he wanted to do last week but Povetkin came at him and he had to fight back. Thus the knockdowns. He didn't open up anywhere near as much as he usually does.

mirkofilipovic likes this.
  8. Viper2789

Viper2789 Member Full Member

Jan 27, 2018
    I'm not eithers greatest fan but I appreciate that Saturday was a decent fight and the rematch will be too. At least both fighters were willing to go for it and we saw two live bodies actually fighting.

Granted, they aren't the best fighters in the world, but they were willing to fight each other, which should be commending IMO.

9. Rilz

Rilz Ball don't lie! Full Member

Aug 5, 2007
    While Whyte may indeed improve, the memory of that night could eat away at him and affect how he fights in the rematch. He could fight scared, and overcompensate defending the uppercut.

There is a lot of factors here, and while I think it is BS Whyte gets the rematch from an eliminator, I will watch with great interest.

10. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Very good chance Povetkin wins rematch.

11. AdamT

AdamT Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Shyte is a gob shyte and I'm glad he was humiliated

Biggest mouth in the sport

Hopefully he gets flattened again and he stops getting exposure

It's embarrassing folk thinking he can beat fury lol

12. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I'd love to see it but I really didn't like the way he looked against Whyte. The finish was epic but he really looked his age. He still looked good against Hughie but the decline was noticeable against Hunter and markedly so against Whyte. Hunter is the real deal and I think that war took a lot out of him.

13. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 banned Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It will be the same CLOSE fight without Whyte getting brutally stopped

I think Whyte will get to him mid fight and win by stoppage.

Whyte won't throw that right hand till round 6 onwards.

Will be on the jab as long as possible.

Watch out for that overhand right from Povetkin next time out.

Can Whyte keep Povetkin off him with his useless footwork though? Probably not.

Whyte was fighting a conservative fight and was being very respectful to Povetkin throughout. That won't change. It was his instinct to throw that right hand when Povetkin came in behind his short jab.

14. lobk

lobk Original ESB Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    This is just talk from Whyte. If he goes in the rematch with a KO mindset he will get caught again. He wins the rematch if he keeps the distance and make them old man go 12 rnds.

15. Heavy_Hitter

Heavy_Hitter Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2018
    If Whytie rematches Povetkin right away without a tune up he is risking getting sparked again. If he waits for one more year he has a higher chance of winning since Povetkin will be 42. Povetkin doesn't have stamina to go 10 or 12 rounds and the older he gets the harder it will be for him.