Whyte - Pulev?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    july 21st at the o2?

This content is protected

2. Scissors

Feb 11, 2018
    (opponent isn’t confirmed)

3. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Good fight!

Hopefully pulev has the balls this time

4. BluenoseBxingFan

BluenoseBxingFan Member Full Member

Mar 25, 2018
    This would be a good fight.

5. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Cracking fight. Listened to Whytes brother the other day saying Pulev fight would be next. If Whyte wins totally deserves a world title fight afterwards. Big props as he's not just sitting on a mandatory position waiting his turn he's taking big fights. One thing for sure if he comes through it will help his chances when a world title fight comes about.

zulander, Twentyman and Scissors like this.
  6. Scissors

Feb 11, 2018
    He’s done well for himself. He was originally catapulted in to the limelight to build up a rivalry with a just starting out Joshua. He’s always been known as the guy who Joshua avenged from the amateur days. Then recently he’s carved out his own path.

WBC 1
    WBA 8
    IBF 4
    WBO 4
    Boxrec 6.

Whyte, Tibbs, Hearn have all done a good job with him. We all thought after that AJ fight he was going on the scrap heap but now he’s his own man and rightfully on the verge of a title shot.

123HIT IT, Pez, Hayemakerr and 7 others like this.
  7. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Yeah he certainly has. I thought at time he's made good money from fight and he will disappear of the scene with a nice little payday, but no he used it to make himself better. He goes up to Loughborough for weeks at a time, is getting better and fitter all the time, due massive respect for what he's doing.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    bailey and Scissors like this.
  8. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    I like it. I think Pulev is the better boxer but his inactivity and lack of a challenging fight in recent times might come back to haunt him a little. Would be Whyte's best win by far

9. Scissors

Feb 11, 2018
    A couple of years ago I would have put my house on Pulev. Very good boxer with one of the best jabs in the game at heavyweight. But as you say the inactivity and the fact he’s older now, I see Whyte taking a UD.

Sephiroth Rising 7 likes this.
  10. Infern0121

Infern0121 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Pulev is one of those guys who just wtf is the point of him.

Keep hearing how he's this master boxer yet his resume is gash and when he fought wlad he just stood there with his arms at 45 degree angles and got the living **** knocked out of him.

Oh and hes 38

Hope whyte retires this waste of space in the top 10.

Dragon Punch, nickpoppunk and Potwash like this.
  11. Farmboxer

Farmboxer VIP Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    It is a puzzle as to why Pulev has been do inactive. He should, at least, fight enough to make some money. I think he is too ring rusty at this time................

12. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    I can already see this fight busting my accumulator somehow

13. Momus

Momus Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    I have a bad feeling about this fight for Whyte if it happens.

Pulev has an excellent jab which can neutralise opponents and make for dull fights. If you have the speed and reach (like Wlad) you can create angles and exploit his lack of head movement, but otherwise it can be a frustrating night. It was ultimately a blowout for Wlad, but he had to make adjustments and bring the left hook into play a lot earlier than he normally would.

Pulev handled Chisora pretty comfortably despite the scorecards. While it's too simplistic to rely on boxing arithmetic, it is an indicator of how difficult Pulev can be if you don't expose his weaknesses. Whyte can be one-paced and switch off in fights, and I don't see him blasting Pulev out of there.

I think Whyte is in the position where he can just play the rating/waiting game and get a title shot. Fair play to him though, as he seems to want to test himself and not take the easy route.

chico g likes this.
  14. Infern0121

Infern0121 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Pulev-chisora doesnt mean squat.

That was "bored chisora" that showed up, it's not a benchmark of anything.

Potwash likes this.
  15. Potwash

Potwash The Real Untouchables Full Member

Dec 13, 2017
    This. Ive never understood how some people rate Pulev...Klitschko completely exposed him.