Whyte Vs Povetkin + Pitters Vs Sugden. *LIVE THREAD*

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Chalky, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Of course, he is "dangerous", he just showed it, BUT ..... Povetkin at 40 years old hasn't actually stopped many opponents for a few years.
    Look at his record in the last 5 years.

Hunter went the full 12. (2019)
    Hughie Fury went the full 12 (2019)
    AJ beat him (2018).
    He stopped David Price (who is famously and comically chinny) in 5 (2018)
    Hammer went the full 12 (2017).
    Rudenko went the full 12 (2017).
    He stopped Duhaupas (who was coming in on less than a day's notice !) in 6 (2016)
    .... and beat Wach on a bad cut in the 12th round (2015).

He's worse in 2020, at almost 41, than he was 5 years ago.
    Whyte isn't in great company there.
    This is an awful result for someone who was being touted as a threat to the likes of Fury and his old rival AJ.
    It's a shabby result for anyone regarded as a heavyweight contender.

2. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Would have every right too but i think he is such a good guy he will be dissapointed for Dillian. Excellent underrated coach.

BEATDOWNZ, Twentyman and Noel857 like this.
  3. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    When a promotional company have been trying to get you to pay £20 a throw for a British level fighter. It is hard not to have a bit of schadenfreude

4. Mr Applebee

Mr Applebee Active Member Full Member

Nov 26, 2010
    glad someone else said that. I was saying the same. I thought the first three were, if anything, close.

5. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Good post mate, puts things into perspective. Without doubt it was clear that Povetkin is way past his best anyway tonight.

6. FP 2.0

FP 2.0 Member Full Member

Aug 12, 2019
    You personally?

7. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    I have never rated Whyte and have found it very annoying to be charged £20 extra to watch a very average fighter. And fed the fight anyone anytime nonsense. When he clearly doesnt.

So seeing him get sparked by an old bloke who looked dreadful. Was fairly entertaining

8. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    That shot was perfection. That’s why these smaller super schooled fighters are hell for the taller men.

Povetkin was looking finished and it was quite sad. Whyte was relaxed and in control but I always felt there was a danger of that happening.

I don’t understand all the hate for Whyte, how can people say he hasn’t been hard done to? In any other sport if you earn something you get it, this sort of stuff is why loads of people don’t like boxing. I’ve always thought Whyte is dicing with danger a bit taking these fights he doesn’t have to but can’t knock him, he deserves lots of praise if you ask me. He could easily have say on his arse like the likes of Callum Smith and many others waiting around. I just don’t get the hate.

I’m actually really looking forward to the rematch now, will be very interesting and I hope there’s a crowd there.

9. FP 2.0

FP 2.0 Member Full Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Why did you watch it then?

10. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    He hasn't been hard done by at all.
    He's landed big PPV fights and been promoted and marketed intensely by great promotional team and broadcasters. Against the likes of Parker, Chisora and Rivas.
    He turned down 6 or 7 million £ for a rematch with AJ for the IBF, WBA and WBO belts.

I think he's an admirable fighter, comes to fight, got a lot of time for him. He's backed up the attention by coming to rumble every time.
    But he certainly hasn't been treated badly by boxing and the fans and the money men.

Clarence Gianni, kojak and Twentyman like this.
  11. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    But remember his next fight is for world title, he fights anyone, he is the most avoided heavyweight in the world, Fury cannot avoid him if he wants to fight Joshua lol. Tell you what Hughie Fury would beat him let alone Tyson. The casuals who bought Furys been dodging him lol.

12. londonboxingess

londonboxingess Active Member Full Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Ah it's beautiful

This content is protected

Blah and Glenn McKrory like this.
  13. Here's Johnny

Jan 18, 2015
    No, but the reason they fight is for the belts. If you earn your crack it shouldn’t take this long. Yes, he was a crank for turning AJ down but he obviously wanted a very winnable pre exposed Wilder.

Let’s not make out he was a massive favourite in any of them fights you mention. The poll on this was quite split for the Browne fight ffs. I personally don’t think he’s PPV but I think very few fights are and compared to some that have been over the years, he deserves it more than them.

Joshua got a title shot after winning the vacant British title against a novice and **** in most peoples opinion Whyte. Why does Whyte have to wait 3 years?

I just think he could have done an awful lot less whilst in this position and he’d have probably got more respect. Sure he’s stunk the place out against Helenius but his Parker fight was exciting and he did win imo, he banjoed everyone’s favourite woman beater who was on a high after his ko of Takam. All when he could have been fighting fat, Polish mobile phone fixers.

14. Here's Johnny

Jan 18, 2015
    They deserve laughing at because they’re thick clowns. But when you consider Fury was 30 stone with an apparent breakdown and a forgotten about drug ban when Whyte got himself in that position....

15. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    People say Whyte's been #1 for the WBC title "for a thousand days" but he's only actually been the WBC mandatory since beating Rivas 13 months ago, and we've been in lockdown for 5 months .... and he had PED issues hanging over him for 3 or 4 months after Rivas.
    So, he hasn't actually been frozen out for much time at all.

If he was rated "#1" from beating Helenius in 2017, that was a gratuitiously generous rating anyway.
    And in the meantime he turned down 6 or 7 million pounds to take on AJ for 3 major belts.
    The narrative that he's been a victim of some gross injustice rings a bit hollow.

I do agree that the contracted 3rd Wilder-Fury is an inconvenience, and i'm against rematch clauses for that reason. They allow guys who got smashed up to jump straight ahead of the queue when others deserve a chance.
    But it looks like Whyte's even got a rematch clause on the Povetkin fight, an eliminator, so who's really been shafted here ? It will be another PPV no doubt too.

Glenn McKrory and kojak like this.