Wilder-Ruiz is a comical mismatch

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Redbeard7, Nov 7, 2022.

1. fencik45

fencik45 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2022
    neither one has done anything to deserve to be in a final eliminator.

Joe Davies likes this.
  2. Joe Davies

Joe Davies New Member Full Member

Nov 6, 2022
    I like Andy Ruiz and would like to give him a shot in this fight. Fury has laid the gameplan on the table for defeating Wilder, and even with his huge size, engine, chin, ability, it almost didn't matter. Let's be real, how many other heavyweights are going to be able to take Wilder's power? Maybe Joe Joyce.

I can only see this going the way of Wilder by KO as Ruiz is coming in or if he stays inside to work Wilder's body. So it's the perfect fight to bet on Ruiz!

3. fencik45

fencik45 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2022
    Nascimento has been stopped 15 times in forty fights, try again. Never even fought anyone named Scott, unless you mean Scott Belshaw. If you do, big deal. Cunningham was a 37 year old shot cw. Chisora has been ko'd before, so being stopped on his feet isn;;'t overly impressive. Hammer flat out sucked. Whyte had just been knocked unconscious with one punch by a 41 year old. What a list of lame feats you compiled.

4. elmaldito

elmaldito Skillz Full Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Wilder can one punch Ruiz but Ruiz can also one punch wilder. I see this as a good toss up match and lean toward Andy. Styles make fights. Let’s be serious, wilder has power and is tough with a lot of heart and stamina. Guy has limited boxing skill. Ruiz could easily outbox him or drop him more times then wilder drops him. I see Andy dropping him in the clinch easy. Toothpick legs will fold.

BCS8, lobk and UnleashtheFURY like this.
  5. AlwaysFirst

AlwaysFirst Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    I fought amateur boxing but after 1 pro fight I switched to MMA, that’s what majority of my pro career was in, I fought pro kickboxing also but MMA was my focus, I never fought in the UFC but I fought in the other major shows.

It’s a lot of future/ex champions I got the better of in sparring but naw, I wouldn’t beat them in a real match.

Stiverne trained where I used to kickboxing (this was 06-07 so he was an up and coming undefeated prospect), their sparring partner didn’t show up so they asked me if I wanted to spar, I said sure. They just started to train there so they thought I “just was a kickboxer” so I could tell he didn’t take me serious and went really light, I didn’t, lol, I came guns blazing and completely threw him off, he had to turn it up but I was already “a head” and I got the better of that sparring session.

As soon as we were done they asked me to spar again later that week… That day he came prepared, brought some friends that cheered him on and did not play, lol, I still held me own but it’s was a different guy I sparred and he made sure I knew that, he wasn’t a d*ck or anything but he definitely got the better of that sparring.

BCS8, Toney F*** U and DramaShow like this.
  6. Redbeard7

Redbeard7 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 9, 2022
    I didn't mention "world level", I don't regard Ruiz as being better than Stiverne and certainly not Ortiz. I see Ruiz as the kind of fighter that Wilder has dominated before. Ruiz had a great upset win against Joshua but we've seen wide underdog fringe contenders spring big upsets many times before.

Punch count stats have their utility and being on a losing streak is suggestive of future losses. Avenging a loss also doesn't wipe the loss away. I don't believe that Joshua would have beaten Ruiz if he'd tried to exchange with him again.

7. Redbeard7

Oct 9, 2022
    Fat doesn't just go to the body and help you absorb body punches, it also goes to the face and provides more internal cushioning. Why do you think Toney fought Peter at an obese 230+ rather than at 175 or 200?

8. Redbeard7

Oct 9, 2022
    The underpowered, slow-footed, 5'11 Ruiz has no chance of one-punching or outboxing Wilder. The idea that Ruiz is a power puncher is a myth created by the Joshua fight and the idea that a male Olympic bronze medallist now with 18 years experience "can't box" is moronic and self-refuting.

9. elmaldito

Jun 11, 2009
    slow footed? we talking about the same andy ruiz? gtfoh

10. elmaldito

Jun 11, 2009
    ruiz being a power puncher is more believable then wilder being able to box.

lobk and BCS8 like this.
  11. Redbeard7

Oct 9, 2022
    "So Ruiz height is irrelevant"

Wilder did lose to high level amateur Romanov on about 2 years amateur experience yes, that's soon to be 15 years ago now.

Height and reach is very relevant in boxing, much as you may want to deny it because it makes shorter, stubbier fighters from the past look inferior by comparison. You're the guy who claims that Tommy Morrison was better than Wlad Klitschko, so it is what it is.

Ruiz by contrast has proven relatively recently that he doesn't have a good answer to fighters with a height and reach advantage who can box on the backfoot (Parker, Joshua, Arreola, Ortiz). Joshua lost because he gave away his length advantage by exchanging, among other factors that don't apply to Wilder.

12. BoxingisBoxing2k22

BoxingisBoxing2k22 New Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2022
    Of course Ruiz is a better win than Stiverne and Ortiz he beat AJ
    I think you should be on reddit with the other autistic people with these statistics
    Why would AJ trade when he can outbox him 12-0 he won and would win a 3rd fight aswell so he has erased the loss because he has improved

13. Redbeard7

Oct 9, 2022
    I don't underrate Ruiz. I don't think Joshua 1 was a fluke for example, but what would usually happen if Joshua exchanged with Ruiz. No one can complain based on rankings as Ruiz is rightly top 6.

These are Ruiz's strengths as I see them:

Very fast hands, very heavy and wide, durable and fast recovery, decent stamina, good counter puncher, very good combination puncher, good body puncher, good at finding the temple in exchanges with either hand, applies pressure, rough and sneaky on the inside, mentally robust and determined, good fighting instincts, very experienced, his heritage, stature, babyface and morbid obesity put additional mental pressure on the opponent, especially if the opponent is a narcissistic bodybuilder

These are Ruiz's weaknesses:

Very short, stubby arms, underpowered (no stoppage wins since June 2019, historically failed to stop a litany of journeymen on the front foot) slow feet, not very elusive, very poor discipline, success has reduced his desire, there’s a clear blueprint how to beat him, no longer easy to underestimate

It's just a case of Ruiz's weaknesses crippling him against Wilder, with Ruiz's only chance being if Wilder gets into wild exchanges up close and Ruiz can capitalise by hooking Wilder (whose punch resistance may well be diminished) on the temple.

I don't think Spilka gave Wilder nearly as much trouble as many believe, Wilder didn't take any real damage in that fight, was way ahead on the cards due to A-side/home/champion advantage and sparked Szpilka in 9. Arreola was a tough guy but had little to no success, Wilder was able to drop him, school him with a jab and stop him in 8, and that's the most comparable stylistic matchup.

14. Redbeard7

Oct 9, 2022
    Puritty beat Wlad, it didn't make Puritty an amazing scalp to have on your record, or better than various fringe contenders with less impressive wins, some of whom dominated Puritty.

There's no such thing as "erasing a loss". Joshua's chin, stamina, IQ, defence, fighting instincts and mentality were exposed against a fringe contender. Joshua had to massively alter his style and lose 8 lbs so that Ruiz didn't put him in that place again. Ruiz also sabotaged himself by coming in at 284 lbs and was fighting in a big ring in the rematch.

15. Aydamn

Aydamn Dillian Da Dissappointment Full Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Wilder is 6 foot 7 and Ruiz a little over 6 foot

I rate Ruiz quite highly, always focused and disciplined in the ring and brings a lot of ferocity and action. Highly skilled for a HW and lightning fast hands.

Beat Ortiz with ease, his issue was overthinking the southpaw thing. He allowed himself to be overly threatened and hesitant when he could have ended the fight way earlier.

Ruiz is top 6/5 and well deserved.

“relatively light puncher* get off the crack cocaine. He punches hard. And one of the top punchers in the division.