Wilder v Fury II

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, Nov 19, 2019.

1. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I think your issue is that you don't acknowledge that not everything I say is negative about him.

Take the Klitschko fight. Great game plan, executed to perfection. That doesn't mean that I have to like the fight, (I think it was one of the worst adverts for boxing of all time), or think that there was no mitigation for Klitschko's dreadful performance.

2. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Press conference in LA now it seems.

3. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Bizarre. For such a big fight and big promoters/managers involved it appears like they’re just winging it.

Hattonmad and TonyHayers like this.
  4. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    It’s very unusual regardless what your position is concerning who wins. Strange time of year to announce it, strange time of year to put on such a big fight, weird lack of publicity. I mean, UK television coverage isn’t the biggest issue going but it’s still weird to think it’s scheduled to be happening six weeks today and there’s still no announcement.

5. Special one

Special one Active Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2019
    After the first bout between these two I could only envisage the rematch being massive, but is it now conceivable that this actually does worse numbers than the first fight! Boxing really is dead in America if so!?

6. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    No chance. It will smash the first numbers, especially with a joint show.

7. BodyBlaster

BodyBlaster Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 25, 2007
    I agree this fight has become an anti climax.
    When the first fight was done, everyone would have been keen for the rematch immediately.
    They both had pointless bouts in between and it’s been poorly promoted.
    I don’t think the interest in this fight is anywhere near what it could have been.
    I think Wilder wins by ko, I think the weight gain/loss/mental issues has caught up with Tyson and the change of trainer is a way of looking for something that’s isn’t there anymore, and Davidson’s been the fall guy

8. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Lets establish some facts here boys, because some of you are feeling a little left out.
    • The UK PPV market is peanuts for Arum. He does not give a damn about cheapskate £19.99 PPV buyers who whinge when they have to pay an extra fiver. $99 US PPV is where it is at.
    • Fury has been all over US TV for months, chat shows, game shows, radio shows, podcasts, sports the lot. Even WWE. (most recently at college football weekend estimated audience 80million)
    • Wilder does not want to meet Fury before the fight because he know's Fury has the advantage to get in his head. Fury is a master of this, remember Klitshcko? This is his 11th man, his Fergie time.
    • Big John did not want Fury doing too much media work DURING CAMP and alluded they had it written into the contract as such. Fury has been in full camp since before Christmas.
    • There will be a meeting at Superbowl, does not get any bigger than that.
    • BT have not answered Sky's offer yet, as soon as it is confirmed as Sky PPV it will be all over SSN and the casuals will lap it up as usual.

9. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    You sound like you’re trying to convince yourself.

10. pow

Apr 26, 2014
    Facts Tony, facts.

11. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    Some other facts.

There doesn’t appear to have been a PPV fight in America in February for seventeen years. If Super Bowl was such a great way to advertise your fight then it would make sense for big February fights to be more commonplace. But all the big names never seem to fight in February.

People have suggested the fight could do a million UK buys. If that were to be the case if would generate somewhere in the region of thirty-six million dollars. Hardly small change. Yet here we are, less than six weeks from fight night, and still no answer.

Your ‘facts’ about ‘Big John’ seem to stem from believing what ‘Big John’ says.

What’s an eleventh man?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    pow likes this.
  12. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    My mistake. I meant to say ‘in February.’ Now edited.

Unforgiven likes this.
  13. pow

Apr 26, 2014
    This content is protected

14. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Brlliant! No Adam Smith, no Bellew, no Nelson. That's a good start!

15. SambaKing1993

SambaKing1993 Don't do it Zachary! Full Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Adam Smith is infinitely better than John Rawling.