Wilder v Fury II

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, Nov 19, 2019.

1. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I’ve said elsewhere that a legacy isn’t just based on one or two fights. Lewis has a fantastic legacy not just because he beat Tyson and Holyfield. It’s not hard to argue both were past their best, and of course, despite his recent ‘I just made the fights happen’ protests, Bowe didn’t happen.

His legacy is a great one because of Grant, Klitschko, Tua, Briggs, Bruno, Rahman, Golota, Ruddock and so on. He cleaned up a division. Fury needs to work on that. His second greatest win is still Chisora.

2. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    I’m not sure Arum has explained his plans that clearly. And I don’t believe Arum is the sort of guy who takes risks like this.

There’s nothing to be gained from Wilder having the Ortiz fight. It won’t raise his profile, it won’t add to his legacy. It’s a pointless risk. When fights like this have materialised in the past (and I chose the John Ruiz example for Lewis Tyson with that in mind) they are paid step aside money to make sure the superfight happens.

3. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    "One, maybe two fights and then we'll have the rematch" - that's a direct quote. What else do you want the man to say?

You don't think. Who are you? You're Tony Hayers the forum clown. Team Wilder however do see something in fighting Ortiz again. I personally think it's a risk but I also think it's good preparation for Fury because it's high level boxing and Wilder hasn't got a lot of that on his CV. It's also a man he knows he can beat.

4. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    Arum can say that. Why would Wilder have to take the risk though? As has been said many times, if this is all as rich as you think it will be, why risk it not happening?

5. Hattonmad

Jan 5, 2009
    That's a question for team Wilder. Arum wanted two fights as he's on record as saying and Wilder had to keep busy. His team chose a rematch with Ortiz. I personally think they chose Ortiz because it's a good level of boxing and a fight they know he can win.

There's really nothing else to say on it. You're simply speculating, or should I say hoping, there's more to it than that for whatever reason. Shelley Finkel only said a couple of days ago that certain things are signed for Fury and a few things need to be tied up. Both teams and fighters will look like idiots if it doesn't happen.

6. Hattonmad

Jan 5, 2009
    Well that makes a lot of sense too.

Hayers just seems to enjoy wasting peoples time regurgitating and speculating but it's his own time he wastes most of.

Unforgiven likes this.
  7. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    I agree with you 100% but Fury seems to have this ATG status and legacy hanging in the balance based on his 1-0-1 (0 KO) world championship record. If he beats the undisputed champion many will put him as a H2H ATG but if he loses, he will rightly go down as just an enigma and freak show.

8. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 31, 2010
    This hayers character is a proper weird old fruit ain’t it?

Smell my cheese you mother!

Jurgen likes this.
  9. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    I’m not sure it will actually happen and can see there being some twists in the plot but the path is now clear for Wilder Fury 2 in Feb. Watching last night at how passive Wilder was, I couldn’t help but feel that Fury would love to be given all that time. Wilder, just pawing with his left hand and swaying from the waist looked like a UD loss waiting to happen. He looked like a little like hesitant Klitschko did v Fury. But then he practically punched Ortiz’s brain out the back of his skull with the only meaningful right hand he threw and it was over.

So to February? Historically Wilder has never been back in the ring to defend his title within 3 months and I personally think we’ll see it set back to April 2020 for one reason or another. Even then, that’s if precedent isn’t given by the 4 governing bodies to allow the potential big undisputed unification fight to happen with either Ruiz or Joshua instead. An outcome that would suit everyone including Fury.

TonyHayers likes this.
  10. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    A few interesting comments after the fight last night. The rematch has always been likely, but the turnaround as you say would be very quick. Thirteen weeks between Wilder stopping Ortiz and stepping into the ring with Fury seems far too short, especially with some natural down time over Christmas. Also, whilst there has been talk of a contract being in place for two more fights, Wilder seemed clear that after the Fury rematch he would turn all attentions to unification.

My guess is Joshua will beat Ruiz and Wilder Fury II will happen in late March or April. If Ruiz beats Joshua however I still think Wilder v Ruiz would be too much to turn down for all involved.

11. Wig

May 31, 2010
    For the first time I’m firmly picking Wilder KO now in the Fury rematch for three reasons

one the obvious fact wilders power isn’t even once in a generational, it’s bonafide ANCESTRAL and the don is clearly in the discussion for the absolute hardest hitting heavyweight in history. We are witnessing greatness in historic terms, of that there can be no further doubt.

secondly momentum, wilder be putting foos to sleep on the regular yo whilst fury be all over the shop and could almost be considered a part time boxer right now in world level terms.

thirdly and most importantly, I am now of the belief Fury may have putting it kindly lost a step, and putting it harshly his legs may be shot.

If anyone is in any doubt there’s any substance behind point three, watch fury in round one against wilder, guy comes out bouncing , on his toes, lightening fast step feints, in and out, sheer class. Then watch him in round one against wallin and it’s night and day, legs look heavy, slow footwork, noticeably sluggish by comparison.

if he has lost even half a step against wilder who is arguably becoming even more dangerous with every fight - then he is getting put to sleep with no question.

My money is on wilder KO now.

Pompey Junglist likes this.
  12. ButeTheBeast

ButeTheBeast Well-Known Member Full Member

May 27, 2012
    You can't judge Fury on other fights. If you looked at his performances against Seferi and Pianeta, you would have thought that he would get stopped in the first couple vs Wilder.

13. Wig

May 31, 2010
    I can and I have.

14. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    You can judge him on his whole career though.

He’ll look to spoil, mess and generally faff his way to a points win. He does that against average opponents and is very much what he’s done in his two big fights. But for all his supposed defensive unhittable nature Pajkic, Cunningham and Wilder himself have had him down.

We are once again reliant on Fury turning up as a different fighter to the one who showed up against Wallin because in that form any version of Wilder splatters him. I also imagine Fury will now be even more cautious after Wilder almost stopped him last time, so could easily lose close rounds again.

15. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    The logical conclusion is that Ruiz will roll AJ again and Haymon stages a mega unification event in Vegas Wilder vs Ruiz.......the Mexican gate would be huge.....boxing is a business and top $$$ talks......no way in hell is haymon letting Arum make money with him any time soon.

The only chance IMO for Fury to pick up a belt is Ruiz gets stripped of one and fights some cream puff nobody has ever heard of.