Wilder vs Joshua as of today

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Infern0121, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Fury is a better boxer, my point is though that Joshua’s boxing which is actually pretty good is overlooked just because of his sheer power that devastates his opponents. I think the only thing he has on AJ is range but he’s not clever enough to use it. He had the range on Szpilka and was losing, Ortiz and was losing and probably a few others! If Ortiz can land then AJ can land and when AJ lands it’s a lot more powerful than when Ortiz lands. Wilder will be in big trouble.

YearZero likes this.
  2. RoughD

RoughD Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 29, 2006
    AJ is not a good boxer

3. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Name 3 active, better, heavyweight boxers.

4. YearZero

YearZero Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Ortiz was extremely slow on Sat night. Ponderously moving forward no doubt due to his advanced age. And yet Wilder struggled to land. If Wilder struggled that much to land on Ortiz he will struggle even more to land on AJ, who also has a much tighter defense than Ortiz. OF course this is boxing there is always that outside chance. But when people make fight predictions we're not talking about that. We're talking about who's more likely to win. And that's AJ by your own admission.

Scissors likes this.
  5. delboy82

delboy82 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2014
    yes I do think AJ will win, not enough to go whacking a lot of money on right enough. If you think Ortiz just pondered forward then again you are wrong. He has subtle "smart" feet using the southpaw stance he was constantly moving to his left, he was also very celver in stepping on Wilders toes a lot. If he was just pondering forward like you say then the same woulda happened with Ortiz as that of Stiverne.

AJ should look into what Ortiz did with his feet as that will be massive in helping make the fight easier. The only thing that stopped Ortiz winning was his age and his tank I say it again Ortiz of 8/9 years ago wipes the floor with both AJ and Wilder of now.

6. delboy82

Feb 18, 2014
    Ortiz is a far more naturally talented boxer than both AJ and Wilder and Wilder landed on Ortiz (before Ortiz gassed) therefore using your own logic if Wilder can land on Ortiz then he can land on AJ.

AJ has to be ultra cautious against Wilder if he isnt then the fight becomes a complete 50/50 IMO

7. YearZero

Sep 10, 2012
    Don't give me that crap. He was slow. Just because he is a southpaw and he circled away from Wilder's right hand doesn't make him any less ponderous. He didn't close range quickly and get out of there again. He stayed in Wilder's range for way too long and ultimately paid the price. His mostly open guard didn't prove to be a very effective defensive strategy either. I say again, AJ has a much tighter defense, which will make Wilder's job even harder than it already is.

8. delboy82

Feb 18, 2014
    you think footwork is just all about getting in and out quick !! so wrong, clearly you havent boxed sorry but if you think footwork is just about getting in and out of range then there is no point continuing this arguement. I dont think AJ would get in the ring with Ortiz unless there was big money it for him which there never will be. Ortiz would be far too risky for AJ given the risk/reward

9. YearZero

Sep 10, 2012
    Oh dear. Never said that is all footwork is about. I do still box thank you very much. Whatever Ortiz was trying to execute in there with regards to footwork he was slow doing it. Very slow. Moving like molasses is not going to do you any good fighting someone with a reach, height and speed advantage.

10. delboy82

Feb 18, 2014
    his footwork wasnt quick but it was purposeful, it was effective at nullifying Wilder albeit Wilder was looking for that one big shot. Anyway the point is Wilders footwork it always poor, his opponents is always better yet he always finds a way to land that shot that ends the fight. An you do realise that you just completely contradicted yourself. You said Ortiz's footwork wasnt gonna do you any good against soemone with reach, height and speed advantage.

"Moving like molasses is not going to do you any good fighting someone with a reach, height and speed advantageW

Well I had Ortiz 4 rounds up before he was stopped so goes completely against what you just said?!

11. hap

hap Member Full Member

Mar 28, 2015
    Wilder KOs Joshua. I've been mostly convinced of that for a while now.

At the same time, it would shock noone if Joshua got home first.

Wilder's not as technically sound but he's looser and more explosive. There's a lack of defensive savvy there that makes him open, some clumsiness, but his physical attributes make him unorthadox in a way that reminds me of Jon Jones.

I just dont see Joshua being able to press the fight safely, he's going to be rolling the dice with any pronounced attack and even if he keeps it long and technical I just can't see Wilder not landing something at some point. The same could be said of Joshua, Wilder's going to get hit and his stubborness in not taking a knee during Ortiz's blitz was worrying. I don't think he'd have survived the round if it was Joshua who had him on the hook. Joshua's too good to pigeonhole and has proven his fighting spirit so it's not a done deal.

People spend too much time slating the pair of them. Joshua's win over Klitschko was high drama, Wilder's over Ortiz was high drama. I've no doubt it'll be more of the same when they finally meet. Not necessarily as the result of deficiencies but because they're both fu*king good fighters.

The only outcome that would surprise me would be a boring fight.

SuperHans likes this.
  12. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Wilder is garbage, a 50 year old man was beating him until he ran out of gas...

The only way he beats AJ is with a Hail Mary...but I fancy him to be stopped in the mid rounds...

Scissors likes this.
  13. YearZero

Sep 10, 2012
    He still got knocked out didn't he? He spent too much time trading with Wilder instead of implementing his 'superior footwork'. So doesn't that go against what you said?

14. delboy82

Feb 18, 2014
    He got knocked out cos of his age and he gassed not because of his footwork... his footwork had him winning the fight if he was in his prime he would have dealt with wilder but he was past it and gassed

15. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    i keep reading that Ortiz was winning the fight...yet he was losing the fight, on all 3 scorecards. Had Ortiz got through round 10, that would have been a 10-7 round just to top it off. I appreciate everyone has their subjective view but that was how the 3 judges were seeing it and that’s all that matters.

I agree with @delboy82 in that you cannot write the fella off. The evidence is there for everyone to see...it doesn’t matter if you’re a better boxer than Wilder, he hits you and then it’s all over. He turns a fight on its head. He is so fast & flexible, meaning he throws some big shots even when he’s not set....his opponent thinks they’re positioned out of danger and then bang, the referee’s giving the count.

delboy82 likes this.