Wilder vs. Joshua is not a risky fight for anyone.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by CroBox29, May 2, 2023.

1. CroBox29

CroBox29 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Why wait for December? No belts are at stake and there is no risk except that someone might get knocked out.

ikrasevic likes this.
  2. EJDiaZ

EJDiaZ Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Wilder KO1

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  3. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    I think you meant....

Serge and Rumsfeld like this.
  4. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Getting knocked out in the ring is always a risk.

iceferg likes this.
  5. dragansimic22

dragansimic22 Member banned Full Member

Mar 17, 2023
    This fight needs to happen for the sake of boxing, both Joshua and Wilder fans are praying it doesnt happen. Ones carrer will end, or maybe it will be 2 fights, maybe trillogy.

oldcanvasback likes this.
  6. MAD_PIGE0N

MAD_PIGE0N ... banned Full Member

Sep 3, 2022
    Because they wait for the potential big event in Saudi, so they can take way bigger money than if they fight in the summer, plus it's easier to agree on Saudi than negotiate will the fight be in UK or USA. They both get a bonus - having more time to negotiate and if the fight fails because one of the sides, to make it look like it's the other's fault.

CroBox29 likes this.
  7. Mr Stagger Lee

Mr Stagger Lee Active Member Full Member

Sep 8, 2022
    AJ will be mentally knocked out before he gets in the ring. The physical stuff inside the ropes is just a formality.

8. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004
    It's a very risky fight for both. It has legacy implications, rightly or wrongly, considering they could have and should have already fought several years back.

But, at this point in time, I think it's riskier for them NOT to fight sooner than later. But I thought that back then too, and they never made it happen. I am still hopeful they will, even if it's later than ideal.

Redbeard7, BubblesUK, Bokaj and 4 others like this.
  9. deadACE

deadACE Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 13, 2014
    I'm not sure about the legacy part as we've established that both guys were not best of their era. It would be who's the best runner up for me. So having either name as a win on the resume doesn't add that much weight. Imo

Fogger and Rumsfeld like this.
  10. Murderers' Row

Murderers' Row Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 23, 2020
    So they can build it up for at least 6 months, with lots of twists and turns and drama.

I still don't believe this fight will get made mind.

slash likes this.
  11. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I agree - neither Wilder nor AJ was the best of this era. And I likewise agree that perhaps it ultimately boils down to who was 2nd or 3rd best from the era (I still don't completely view Usyk as being in "their era" although I could see why others might).

But it still has massive legacy implications, regardless if neither of them will be remembered as the best from this era. There is a reason both Wilder and AJ are still generally viewed as Top 4 guys in the division, and getting a clearer view by seeing them fight will provide more perspective and information for future historians to consider when rating this era.

elrond_buggard, Bokaj and deadACE like this.
  12. TFP

TFP Member Full Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Yeah, at 37 Wilder is very comprehensively washed, I don't really think this bout would matter either way, but he was undoubtedly a dangerous fighter at his peak.

I know it's 'the modern way' but it's such a shame that he: (a) got a title shot against someone so weak; enabling him to (b) make a string of defences against similarly weak challengers; and (c) wait until he was aged 33 before fighting someone who was really first rate.

In an ideal world we'd have seen Wilder at his very peak being given a title shot or two against proper champions, those fights would have been fascinating.

13. Finkel

Finkel Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 10, 2020
    Actually, I think you were right the first time. This is where I respectfully disagree with you and @deadACE.

If Wilder blows through Joshua and Usyk overcomes Fury, it will be essential that we see Wilder v Usyk. Similarly, if Joshua blows through Wilder, Fury v Joshua would be an essential match-up. As the old adage goes, "styles make fights". And for me the worst thing we can do is crown the best of the era without them actually having the fights to prove it.

For all we know, Fury was a terrible match up for Wilder - he was.
    And Usyk was a terrible style match up for Joshua - he was.

For me, the version of the fight that has little bearing on the shape of the division, would be if Joshua and Wilder go life and death. Though that would certainly be entertaining for us fans, and the version of the fight that I hope happens!

Rumsfeld likes this.
  14. 40ozoe

40ozoe Member Full Member

Aug 12, 2022
    The nationalist CroBox29 who adores his Filip Hrgovic and Zeljko Mavrovic. He wants this fight over today so that one of those boys can fight his beloved Hrgovic.

I'm pretty sure that Zeljko would be ashamed of you as his countryman for your nationalistic nonsense.

15. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Wilder is getting knocked out.