Wilder was 212 pounds vs 254 pound Fury

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Dec 2, 2018.

1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    It ended in a draw. Therefore, it stands to reason that guys like Louis, Ali, Liston could realistically compete with modern day heavies. Liston was actually 212 pounds in his fights against Cleveland Williams. Louis was 207 pounds vs B. Baer and Abe Simon. Ali was 210 pounds when he won the title from Liston. None are as tall as Wilder, but their weight wouldn't make them too small.

2. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    "The big guys usually aren't good fighters, the muscles require too much oxygen and theyre not that agile... The big guys will disappear" -Angelo Dundee

A similar thing happened when Willard became champion

I predict a new Dempsey will appear and destroy the SHWs eventually.

(Me)

3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    To be honest, had I been one of the judges, I would have handed Fury the WBC belt without a moments hesitation!

I also picked Fury to win before the fight.

Having said that, I was sure that Fury was not going to get up in the twelfth round!

If you watch a lot of fights, you develop an eye for when a fighter is not going to beat the count, and Fury was not going to beat the count!

This is rightly Fury's moment, but Wilder proved how dangerous a 212lb puncher can be!

4. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Haven’t you heard? Oh no! There is now a push for a super height division as well as super heavy weight division. It’s a shame but Ali just isn’t gifted enough vertically, and is not qualified.

5. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Of course they compete, the lack of height and reach does make a difference in boxing though.

Bokaj likes this.
  6. richdanahuff

richdanahuff Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2013
    I agree but lets be reasonable about Wilder he is a freak of nature and has freakish, power, tendon strength, athleticism much in the way Wilt Chamberlain had in the NBA....outside of the weight and wiry muscular frame Wilder is a giant in every way except weight.

I am curious to see how this fight changes both fighters....Fury is a difficult fight for anyone no matter who you are the only thing Wilder had over him is power...a more conventional fighter has similar trouble with Fury because he is so unconventional in his approach so without legit KO power like Wilder has most fighters can't beat him......it seems Wilders wild unconventional style made no difference with him either if he hadn't had scary power he would be 40-1 today....anyone ever see a 6'9" man not in the NBA move like that in a ring?

Wilder is Wilder what he does works and worked much better for him against Fury than previous fighters who fought Tyson....so what could he change that would have made him better last night?

7. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Imagine how good Wilder would be if he could actually somewhat box!

8. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    I think it's safe to say Liston and Louis didn't have that lights out single shot power throughout the fight like Wilder has. Deontay carries that much power you can not write him off in the rematch even if Fury improves for the return.

It's Ovah, Bonecrusher, Pat M and 3 others like this.
  9. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Reach and height aren't inconsequential, though. I'm not saying that they necessarily would do worse than Wilder, whose two best results are a hard fought win over 37-year old Ortiz and a gift draw against a rusty Fury, but they are very different animals in everything except weight. Wilder is much, much less skilled than Ali, Louis and Liston, but he has that reach and height combined with a very explosive power. Without those assets he'd be pretty worthless, whether 202, 212, 222 or 232 lbs.

10. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    If Ali had the same weight, skills, mentally and boxing mind etc, but also got Wilder's dimensions and power... He would have been literally unbeatable. No one bar old age could have touched him. Those dimensions and that power are game changers. Without them Wilder would be quite useless, to be frank.

11. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    Imagine Wilder under the tutelage of Manny Steward. He completely revamped Lennox Lewis, it's scary to imagine Wilder learning the proper skills.

12. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    I don’t see what Deontay Wilder’s performance tells us about any of those guys. They’re all very different fighters.

iii and Pat M like this.
  13. Ike-Man

Ike-Man Active Member Full Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Imagine how good Fury would be if he could punch.

14. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    You predict? Where have you been for the last 10 years?

Deontay Wilder "IS" the new Jack Dempsey.

Deontay Wilder has been KOing/destroying Super Heavyweights for nearly 10 years.

Hell, he's been significantly outweighed by everyone he's defended against.

15. Minotauro

Minotauro Boxing Addict Full Member

May 22, 2007
    I don't think many people feel Liston, Ali or even Louis (some maybe for Joe but not most) would be too small to compete. Holyfield proved this in one of the best eras in heavyweight boxing.